Ron Howard Defends "Angels & Demons"

Article here: movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.reuters.com/director-ron-howard-defends-quotangels-demonsquot-reuters

One wonders if Howard would consider doing a film adaptation of the “Protocols of the Elders of Zion” next. Hey, it’s just fiction, right? Talk about a frightening thriller plot story. But I’m sure Jews worldwide would welcome a well done film on the matter, right? :wink:

He has never lived up to what people hoped he would become

Aunt Bee would be so disgusted…

I read a report from the Catholic League and Bill Donohue. He said that there was a priest on the set of the movie who overheard people criticizing the Catholic Church.

Here is the newsletter I received:

April 21, 2009

RON HOWARD LIES ABOUT “ANGELS & DEMONS”

Ron Howard, director of “Angels & Demons,” the movie version of Dan Brown’s book by that name, attacked Catholic League president Bill Donohue yesterday on the Huffington Post.

Referring to a booklet on the movie that Donohue authored, “Angels & Demons: More Demonic than Angelic,” (click here) Howard wrote: “Mr. Donohue’s booklet accuses us of lying when our movie trailer says the Catholic Church ordered a brutal massacre to silence the Illuminati centuries ago. It would be a lie if we had ever suggested our movie is anything other than a work of fiction….” Howard also said that “most in the hierarchy of the Church” will enjoy his film; he denies being anti-Catholic.

Donohue responded today:

“Dan Brown says in his book that the Illuminati are ‘factual’ and that they were ‘hunted ruthlessly by the Catholic Church.’ In the film’s trailer, Tom Hanks, who plays the protagonist Robert Langdon, says ‘The Catholic Church ordered a brutal massacre to silence them forever.’ Howard concurs: ‘The Illuminati were formed in the 1600s. They were artists and scientists like Galileo and Bernini, whose progressive ideas threatened the Vatican.’

“All of this is a lie. The Illuminati were founded in 1776 and were dissolved in 1787. It is obvious that Galileo and Bernini could not possibly have been members: Galileo died in 1647 and Bernini passed away in 1680. More important, the Catholic Church never hunted, much less killed, a single member of the Illuminati. But this hasn’t stopped Brown from asserting that ‘It is a historical fact that the Illuminati vowed vengeance against the Vatican in the 1600s.’ (My emphasis.)

“Howard must be delusional if he thinks Vatican officials are going to like his propaganda—they denied him the right to film on their grounds. Moreover, we know from a Canadian priest who hung out with Howard’s crew last summer in Rome (dressed in civilian clothes) just how much they hate Catholicism. It’s time to stop the lies and come clean.”

He has never been a person who really transitioned from child actor, to adult roles so I guess he takes any old slimy thing he can…sad really

When The Da Vinci Code came out, I was one of the people who were outraged. I now regret it. The movie really was mediocre at best, and it had less than favorable reviews from top critics. And yet the controversy is what caused Ron Howard rake in the money. It fueled curiosity, and ticket sales.

This is why I’m not saying much about his new movie. Ron Howard has to answer to God in the next life, but for now, he has to answer to the box office. He’s not getting one peep of publicity out of me.

I have always enjoyed his movies, but this Dan Brown stuff I disagree with. I agree with the first poster about “Protocols of the Elders of Zion”. There would be an uproar.

**Pray for poor Ron Howard, Dan Brown, Tom Hanks and all of us sinners!
It is truly sad to see people given so much talent and totally wasting it for money and the quest for approval from the masses.

They have unintentionally done more good than they will ever know!

Those of us who love Jesus and His Catholic Church have been strengthened by these horrible and totally false attacks, couched in the “fictional” lies of Dan Brown Ron Howard and Tom Hanks.

We must be loving and forgiving and pray for their conversions, pray for my conversion!

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

Mark

He’s helping to feed a hatred thatseems togrow every year. The Church is the enemy of the world that we live in.

I’ve been wondering how we should handle movies like this. We spoke out against The Da Vinci Code, then it turned out to be a pretty poor film but still made a lot of money because of how much publicity the protests created. Conversely, when The Golden Compass came out, it was also a poorly received film, but it failed at the box office. So what did we do right with Compass? And can we recreate that effect with Angels & Demons?

My guess is that we somehow need to get the word out to Christians who would refuse to see the film if they were aware of its bias against the Church, but keep quiet around other people who do not care about the bias and would not bother to see it if it unless it got a lot of publicity.

How we can do that, I have no idea.

Of course, Angels & Demons has working against it the fact that it’s the sequel of a pretty poorly received film, successful or not. That might turn off people who remember not liking The Da Vinci Code.

I will keep Howard, Hanks, and the film’s crew in my prayers.

I received another email update on this issue from the Catholic League. Here is the link if you want to read more about the controversy:

movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.reuters.com/director-ron-howard-defends-quotangels-demonsquot-reuters

Like the DaVinci Code, Angels and Demons is poorly written and implausible. People I talked to who liked it were, without exception, adults who either don’t, or very rarely, read books. The allegations against the clergy and the church are as zany as the “facts” in Dave Berry’s abbreviated history of the United States. (Which, by the way, is truly amusing and is much better written.) I think it needs to be ignored, which it was by the way, until DaVinci Code was so successful. As for Ron Howard and Tom Hanks, they are just doing their day job making films.

Here is the Curt Jester’s take:

I am producing a movie on Ron Howard’s family. In the movie based on my research I say his father was a drug pusher and his mother is a prostitute and that Ron Howard engages in S&M. All of the portrayal of Ron Howard and his family in my movie and the prequel I am doing later will be highly negative. I will present the Howard family as something totally based on lies and question whether his parents really were his parents in the first place. I will also attack his fans for being foolish enough to be a fan of him considering his background. My hero will follow clues that prove this evidence

Now of course this is just a movie so people should not be upset about my portrayal of the Howard family at all. It is just entertainment, people - only a fool would take my claims seriously.

Some jerk named Phil Donahue, president of the Howard League for Religious and Civil Rights has been making claims about me that are simply incorrect.

How true… I suspect if this happened in real life the left wing protesters would be out in droves

What is the surest way to get a child to do something?? Tell him/her" DON’T". The surest way to get someone to watch/read something is to say “DON’T”. With all the fussing about the books/movies Ron Howard is doing, we are surely getting people to want to see them.
As for me and mine, I have read BOTH books and have seen" The DaVinci Code" I thought it was pretty good. I have read A&D and thought it was really good. I don’t worry too much about the fussing. I know what I believe (and yes, I am Catholic). I enjoy a good read, I don’t care what it’s about or who wrote it.So long as it holds my attention and maybe learn something.
The constitution guarantees us freedom of speech and I believe that is what Mr. Howard is doing. We may not agree with his medium of speaking however. But he is entitled to do his thing. We, on the other hand, are entitled to spend or not spend our money to go see his movie. I plan to, but I’ll tell you what, I am going to skip the popcorn.

Kathy

I don’t enjoy reading blasphemy which Fr Groeschel said this book was…and Ron Brown also is less than truthful in his claims that some of it is based on fact

I can read a lot of good books that don’t blaspheme God, and I will not financially support and reward someone that does

I’m just going to stay vigilant in case I encounter someone who actually believes any of this garbage. I’m going to stay on the defensive, rather on the offensive this time. I don’t think it will be too big of a problem, though. Even at the height of The Da Vinci Code’s popularity, I didn’t meet anyone who thought it was anything more than a piece of fiction.

Pray for wisdom. Not just for yourself, but for everyone.

Lest we forget:

Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you (falsely) because of me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven. Thus they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Dan Brown, Ron Howard and this mythology they are creating is further evidence that the Catholic Church is where we should be.

Coming to movies in May and there will be a good size audience that will go see this because it is a follow-up to the Da Vinci Code and whether we picket or not doesn’t seem to make one bit of difference. :shrug: I think the pickets helped, not in box office sales, but at least at the church level because it was so controversial that many churches put fliers into their weekly bulletins and that helped point out the facts.

Anyone seen a flier on this movie?

Typical Hollywood leftist! I don’t go to any of his movies.

AMEN!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.