Roots of Islam question

I was watching Tom Hollands documentary on the Origins of Islam and listening to various Robert Spencer talks and debate on the subject of Islam.

I admire this work very much but in the Holland documentary some mention is made of the previous pagan religions of which Islam may have improved the live of Arabs. For instance if a daughter was first born of a man, her father would burn her or bury her alive. Islam forbids this.

So my question is, the is work being done to engage in debate with Islam done by Robert Spencer and others, is there something being done similarly like Thomas Aquinas did with Aristotle? Is there someone currently trying to understand both the good and bad of Islam? Is someone trying to “baptize” Islam by dealing with its truths as well as where it is false? It seems it may be helpful in debate as well as other ecumenical work.

I am a practicing Catholic, by the way. The subject has caught my curiosity due to its historical and religious nature.

Where Islam originated it’s likely that women were treated both poorly and well depending on location as has been throughout all history including today. Islam is not liberating women in Nigeria, Iraq, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc in comparison to other Religions in other locations.

But as for the time and the place specifically of Muhammad, there too would have been good places to be a woman and bad. Muslims are immediately refuted by Khadija bint Khuwaylid who was a very successful merchant prior to the time of Muhammad. This woman was his first wife and much wealthier than Muhammad before he started his expedition.

To answer “is there good in Islam?” Yes, some. Sometimes any Religion no matter how harmful can have something right in it.

The Church would have produced such works on the “good” and “bad” stuff Islam teaches or that is an effect of its teachings.

There are a lot of scholars that are Christian that have their degrees and a lot of knowledge
and also they dialogue with them. I have read some things about Islam and it is indeed a very
interresting religion. Did you know that an Islamist man or women can only marry besides another muslim persons that belong only to the Judeo-Chrristian religion because of our roots in Abrahm our Father. They are not allowed to marry anyone of a pagan religion.
Peace and all good

aren’t muslims descendants of ishmael?

Only men can marry a wife from the People of the Book, i.e. Muslims, Jews or Christians. Women can only marry a Muslim man.

Arabs are descendants of Abraham via the first born son of his slave Hagar the Egyptian, Ishmael.

Arabs were either Orthodox Christian, Heterodox Christian or Pagan when Mohammed created his religion, Islam.

Today Arabs are primarily either Orthodox Christian or Muslim, but there are some other faiths, like Shi’ia & Druze, Catholic & even Protestant.

Islamic beliefs commonly held by Muslims include: that God (Arabic: الله‎ Allāh) is eternal, transcendent and absolutely one (monotheism); that God is incomparable, self-sustaining and neither begets nor was begotten; that Islam is the complete and universal version of a primordial faith that has been revealed before through many prophets including Abraham, Moses, Ishmael and Jesus; that these previous messages and revelations have been partially changed or corrupted over timeand that the Qur’an is the final unaltered revelation from God (The Final Testament).
I was told that they celebrate as a religious holiday when Abraham sacrificed the the lamb,
Instead of his son as he was asked to by God. They have too slay the lamb themselves and then they cook it and have a celebration with food etc.

You are incorrect in the bold statement.

According to their Islamic law:

It’s only muslim men who may marry Jew/Christian and their children must be raised in the muslim faith.

Muslim women are not allowed to marry Jew/Christian.

I have two women friends who married catholic males They are practicing. I do know that fact about raising the children in the Muslim faith. Thank you!

Moon God or Shiva in Hinduism is the God. When, Hagar(Haajira) was left in the desert, She prayed eastwards towards the ancient moon god deity Allah or Shiva for help. That’s why sons of ishmael as musalman are sometimes called. the followers of muhammad is directly against Christian teachings. Muhammadans are :"And he shall be as a wild *** among men; his hand’shall be against every man, and every man’s hand against him; and he shall dwell over against all his brethren. " Genesis 16:12

Muslims cannot think and come to true path(Christianity) as their eyes and brain are closed by the evil force they worship. faithfreedom.org is a good source to know about their religion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.