Rosaries

I know this can’t be the right place to put this question, but I couldn’t think of any other appropriate forum. Moderators… please move it to the right forum as you see fit. Thanks.

I’m looking to find information on rosaries from the 18th century. Does anyone have photos of them or know what materials the rosaries would have been made out of? My husband and I are 18th century American Revolutionary War Reenactors and someone on the Rev War forums is looking to have a period-correct rosary made so that he can carry it with him while doing the reenactments. I also think it would be nice to have it done for my husband and I so that we could pray it in the open while in our period dress. It would also be an interesting part of our history to teach and display (our group is very much into teaching history as well) since Catholics on both sides did fight during the Revolution. We do both British and American impressions, so we could use it on both sides.

Thanks in advance.

You might be able to find something in this link to Museum of Antique Rosaries:
rosaryworkshop.com/MUSEUM-AntRosary-Index.htm

This is great! Thank you!!!

Not sure if this helps or is what you are looking for, but this is what I found:

rosaryworkshop.com/MUSEUM-DB-Filigree-article.html

palhbooks.com/rosary.htm

rosaryworkshop.com/HISTORY-FiligreeRosaries-Journal.html

Hope this helps!

Thank you again to you both!!! These are all great sites and I think they will help out a lot!!!

Not related to Rosaries, but, to soldiers in that time period.

I recently read the book “Sisters” (my internet connection is acting strange, I cannot seem to find the author’s name), there were references to nuns who worked battlefields during these periods, if you have not read the book you might find it interesting.

Natural beads have been used to make rosaries, too. And I imagine they were used at the time of the American Revolution as well. I remember as a child someone gave my mother a homemade rosary that was made with “Job’s Tears”. I found this website about this bead plant.
thebeadsite.com/PLA-WORN.html

Now that sounds really interesting. We’re both very much into history and reading about it. I’m especially interested in women’s history from all centuries, so this would be something I’d very much like to read about. Thanks!

Found it!!

amazon.com/Sisters-Catholic-Nuns-Making-America/dp/0312325967

I wouldn’t be surprised if many of the rosaries of privates were homemade. The privates and camp followers weren’t well-off, they were, in fact pretty poor, especially by our standards. So, I could imagine that there would be Catholics who did not have enough money to buy a rosary or had lost their own while on campaign and had to make their own.

Thanks!

Awesome!!! This sounds really cool. The reviews were all great as well. I look forward to reading it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.