Rosary as a Necklace

Hi!:slight_smile:
Took my daughter to a counselor and was shocked when she came out “sporting” an all wood Rosary as a necklace. I’m deeply devoted to Our Lady’s Rosary and was stunned. As we got seated I just blurted out “Are you Catholic”? She said no, she’s a Christian and this is her cross. I talked it out with my hubby and it looks like we will be going from the insurance covered Rosary as a necklace lady to the $125.00 @ hr, practicing Catholic. I am just greatful and amazed at how God does work all things to the good. We need to pray for that 125 @ hr - it’s not in the budget!
Does any one else see this jewelery thing in their town? Any support for our parenting or negetive comments will be appreciated!

You have every right - and indeed you should - see a therapist with whom you are comfortable. And if the fact she wears a rosary is enough for you to decide you’re better off with a different therapist, that’s fine.

I see rosary necklaces all the time. In fact, there are any number of jewelry shops in my community that sell them; many are quite beautiful… and expensive. I recently worked with a lovely young woman who wore one every day. Although I was told growing up that one should not wear a rosary, and I understand the argument that it’s cultural appropriation, I have bigger hills to die on than to get worked up over it. As long as whoever’s wearing it is behaving honorably (I’d have a hard time watching a house breaker strut around with one on) and isn’t disrespecting it.

A few months ago I lost my favorite rosary of all time. It was one of my grandmother’s and was at least 50 years old. It was just beautiful, and I loved praying with it thinking about my grandma praying with it before me. A couple of friends, including one CAFer, gave me suggestions as to how I might get it back. But in the end I decided to let it go and pray that Mary and her Son worked through that rosry to bring whoever found it closer to heaven.

You might think of rosary necklaces in the same way. Perhaps not the ideal way to treat a rosary, but one of them just might work a miracle for the wearer. :shrug:

Blessings.

I see it all the time. It annoys me sooo much! Lol.

It’s used as a gang symbol sometimes, they’re sold on carts in malls, when we went tp Myrtle Beach last week they were selling them in all of the stores that sell shirts and sunglasses and stuff.

I also noticed on an episode of Jersey Shore a bunch of the guys were wearing them(they ago out to clubs get drunk and bang girls, not something they should do at all, let alone while wearing a rosary)

[quote="halx, post:1, topic:249725"]
Hi!:)
Took my daughter to a counselor and was shocked when she came out "sporting" an all wood Rosary as a necklace. I'm deeply devoted to Our Lady's Rosary and was stunned. As we got seated I just blurted out "Are you Catholic"? She said no, she's a Christian and this is her cross. I talked it out with my hubby and it looks like we will be going from the insurance covered Rosary as a necklace lady to the $125.00 @ hr, practicing Catholic. I am just greatful and amazed at how God does work all things to the good. We need to pray for that 125 @ hr - it's not in the budget!
Does any one else see this jewelery thing in their town? Any support for our parenting or negetive comments will be appreciated!

[/quote]

The people at the Spanish Mass often wear them round their necks, especially the women and girls.

I guess it’s just a fashion fad for some, but the Rosary is one of my most important devotions. Who knows maybe conversions may start from the wearing of them!

I'v seen a few young people wearing the most powerful weapon we have against the devil casually around their necks, I don't think these people were Catholic.
Though it did sadden me to see a sacramental used in this way.

However I have seen children with rosaries round their necks on their FHC day.
I suppose it's the intention with which you wear it.

I too was taught as a child not to wear the rosary as a necklace. However, many in other cultures do wear the rosary. It is an easy way to carry the rosary, especially when a person does not have pockets. Louis de Montfort, author of the Power of the Rosary and True Devotion to Mary encouraged people to wear the rosary, not to be afraid to be "seen as peasants."
I see conversions coming from the wearing of the rosary. In a talk on Marian devotion, a priest told the story of a prince who, although he never personally prayed the rosary, wore a large rosary. His wearing of the rosary, despite his own lack of devotion, led others to begin praying the rosary. When the prince became deadly ill, our Lady interceded on his behalf because of the number of people inspired to begin praying the rosary.
A non-Catholic Christian who wears the rosary bears witness to Christ. Asking your therapist about the rosary she had given your daughter could have led to a discussion of what the rosary means to you. She may be unaware of its true significance.
After reading Louis de Montfort, I am more comfortable wearing the rosary as a necklace. Because of my background, I tend to wear it hidden under my clothing. This is what you can teach your daughter–that the rosary is not jewelry, but it is still nice to wear it close to your heart. Would you have had the same reaction to a rosary bracelet?
I found it interesting when I read David Wilkerson’s Gates of the Alamo that Santa Anna’s men wore their rosaries as headbands on their somberos.

Ironic. Some dude wearing a rosary just came by to try and sell us some (scam us) "organic household cleaner." I wish I had read this thread first; I didn't know about not wearing rosaries as jewelry.

;)

If the rosary being worn as a necklace bothered you that much that it would interfer with what you hope to accomplish with the counseling, then you probably made the right decision.

BUT, for me, the necklace wouldn’t have been the deal breaker. Which counselor would be the better fit for my daughter, Catholic or the Christian wearing the rosary, would have been what I based my decision on. Have you met with the Catholic counselor yet? Just because they’re Catholic may not mean they’re a better counselor.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.