Rosary of the Holy Wounds: 300 days indulgence

I found out about a devotion called the Rosary of the Holy Wounds recently.
It’s prayed on normal Rosary beads.

[LIST]
*]On the Our Father beads pray: Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Wounds of our Lord Jesus Christ to heal the wounds of our souls.
[/LIST]
[LIST]
*]On the Hail Mary beads pray: My Jesus, pardon and mercy through the merits of Thy sacred wounds.
[/LIST]

I know Pope Pius XI gave it a 300 days indulgence, but I don’t know if this indulgence still exists. We don’t measure them in days but call them “partial” or “pleniary”. So, does someone know whether this indulgence still stands, or if there is still an indulgence attached? Did it survive Paul VI’s pontificate?

Hello! I pray the Holy Wounds Rosary also. I found it in my Pieta Prayer Book. It only says that it was “Indulgenced by the Scared Pententiary, January 15, 1924”. The other prayers list the type of indugence and the days. Since this is a recent Printing, I would think it is still indulgenced as it was offically. I will try and find out.The prayers are known for the help it gives the Holy Souls in Purgatory and for personal use. Please let me know if you find anything different on this.

the Lord himself made so many promises for those who practice this devotion. check out this link :slight_smile: geocities.com/Heartland/Estates/4152/rosaryhw.htm

Thank you windmelody, there are some pretty powerful promises there. I also did not know there were 3 introductory beads. I am even more excited to pray them now.

God Bless!!!

You can find out what is and is not indulgenced here (bolding mine):

The Enchiridion of Indulgences

The Enchiridion
Of
Indulgences
NORMS AND GRANTS
Authorized English Edition
Issued by the Sacred Apostolic Penitentiary, 1968
Formatted into electronic text
June 2, 1998.
The Sacred Apostolic Penitentiary
Decree
In the Apostolic Constitution The Doctrine of Indulgences of January 1, 1967 we read: "Holy
Mother Church has then deemed it fitting, in order to give greater dignity and esteem to the
use of indulgences, to introduce some innovations into her discipline of indulgences and has
accordingly ordered the issuance of new norms."
Norm 13 of the same Constitution decrees, moreover, as follows: "The Enchiridion of
Indulgences [collection of indulgenced prayers and works] is to be revised with a view to
attaching indulgences only to the most important prayers and works of piety, charity and
penance."
In obedience to the will of the Sovereign Pontiff, as expressed both in the above-mentioned
Apostolic Constitution and in further instructions from Him, this Sacred Penitentiary has seen
to the careful preparation of a new Enchiridion of Indulgences.
The Sovereign Pontiff, Paul VI – having received a report on the matter in an Audience
granted on June 14 of the present year to the undersigned Cardinal, the Penitentiary Major –
on the 15th day of the same month approved, and ordered to be held authentic, the new
Enchiridion of Indulgences as published by the Vatican Press.** All general grants of
indulgences, not included in this same Enchiridion, are hereby revoked. Revoked also are any
ordinances concerning indulgences, not included in the Norms on Indulgences given below,
whether in the Code of Canon Law, or in Apostolic Letters, even if issued “Motu proprio,” or
in Decrees of the Holy See.**Everything to the contrary notwithstanding, even if deserving of special mention.
Given at Rome, from the Sacred Apostolic Penitentiary, on the 29th day of June in the year
1968, the feast of the Holy Apostles, Peter and Paul.
† JOSEPH CARDINAL FERRETTO
Titular Bishop of the Suburban Church of Sabina and Poggio Mirteto
Penitentiary Major
John Sessolo Regent

Even if it is no longer indulgenced, it is still worthwhile to contemplate the Holy Wounds.

The promises are better than the indulgence. No way would I give them up. To pray for the Holy Souls in Purgatory is to have them praying for you if you go there. How sweet to think of Heavenly Folks praying for us in our time of need. Thanks for the infomation… Is the Canon Laws on the web? I’ve looked at them at the library, but you can’t check them out.

God Bless and have a truly inspired evening!!!

Indeed, I’ve read that it’s very beneficial to offer a RotHW for the Hallowed Souls in Purgatory, so it’s good to offer them for deceased family members etc.

The 17 promises show this too.

Promises of Our Lord for Those Who Practice this Devotion

1. At each word that you pronounce of the Chaplet of the Holy Wounds, I allow a drop of My Blood to fall upon the soul of a sinner.
  2. Each time that you offer to My Father the merits of My divine Wounds, you win an immense fortune.
  3. Souls that will have contemplated and honored My crown of thorns on earth, will be My crown of glory in Heaven!
  4. I will grant all that is asked of Me through the invocation of My Holy Wounds. You will obtain everything, because it is through the merit of My Blood, which is of infinite price. With My Wounds and My Divine Heart, everything can be obtained.
  5. From My Wounds proceed fruits of sanctity. As gold purified in the crucible becomes more beautiful, so you must put your soul and those of your companions into My sacred Wounds; there they will become perfected as gold in the furnace. You can always purify yourself in My Wounds.
  6. My Wounds will repair yours. My Wounds will cover all your faults. Those who honor them will have a true knowledge of Jesus Christ. In meditation on them, you will always find a new love. My wounds will cover all your sins.
  7. Plunge your actions into My Wounds and they will be of value. All your actions, even the least, soaked in My Blood, will acquire by this alone an infinite merit and will please My Heart.
  8. In offering My Wounds for the conversion of sinners, even though the sinners are not converted, you will have the same merit before God as if they were.
  9. When you have some trouble, something to suffer, quickly place it in My Wounds, and the pain will be alleviated.
  10. This aspiration must often be repeated near the sick: “My Jesus, pardon and mercy through the merits of Your Holy Wounds!” This prayer will solace soul and body.
  11. A sinner who will say the following prayer will obtain conversion: “Eternal Father, I offer You the Wounds of our Lord Jesus Christ to heal those of our souls.”
  12. There will be no death for the soul that expires in My Holy Wounds; they give true life.
  13. This chaplet is a counterpoise to My justice; it restrains My vengeance.
  14. Those who pray with humility and who meditate on My Passion, will one day participate in the glory of My divine Wounds.
  15. The more you will have contemplated My painful Wounds on this earth, the higher will be your contemplation of them glorious in Heaven.
  16. The soul who during life has honored the Wounds of our Lord Jesus Christ and has offered them to the Eternal Father for the Souls in Purgatory, will be accompanied at the moment of death by the Holy Virgin and the angels; and Our Lord on the Cross, all brillant in glory, will receive her and crown her.
  17. The invocations of the Holy Wounds will obtain an incessant victory for the Church.

I cannae find it!

I CANNAE FIND IT!!!

So it’s not indulgenced, it didn’t survive the pontificate of Paul VI.
That’s irritating, I’ve been giving the indulgences to dead grandparents and great grandparents.

Oh well, I agree with The Vickinator, the promises are better than indulgences; look at #16 for example: “16. The soul who during life has honored the Wounds of our Lord Jesus Christ and has offered them to the Eternal Father for the Souls in Purgatory, will be accompanied at the moment of death by the Holy Virgin and the angels; and Our Lord on the Cross, all brillant in glory, will receive her and crown her.”, so if we keep offering them for the Souls in Purgatory it looks like we get accompanied straight to Heaven!
What a great little devotion! I wish more people knew about it.

Here is a link to the Code of Canon Law

intratext.com/IXT/ENG0017/_INDEX.HTM

Thanks for the web site. I’m going to get a notebook jusy to copy all the wonderful web sites provided by wonderful people like you!!!

I like to pray for others, especially for the Holy Souls in purgatory. If you pray for those souls, they will pray for you in your death agony. From everything I have read from saints who have seen and spoken about the death agony(St. Faustina,for one) The more on your side the better!

Reading through the promises is like one of the biggest wish lists I could have. I always pray that my prayers are not imperfect, which I am sure they are sometimes. I just know that the more I study the Passion (including His Holy Wounds), the more perfect my prayers will become. As I tell Jesus everyday, if I can help just one person to heaven, then I am happy. Trouble is I won’t know that till I die. That means praying unceasingly!

Have you ever heard of the Prayer for the One wound not recorded? It is the shoulder wound caused by the weight of His Cross. If anyone is interested I’ll be glad to put it up here. Made me cry when I realized that it did exist. It is straight from Jesus to a saint. Don’t have my book available. Be glad to share it with you.

“With Thy Body all torn, and Thy Heart Broken, and the bowels of Thy Mercy open to redeem us, Thou didst expire” “Jesus, what is there that Thou couldst have done for us, that Thou hast not done”?

With that I’ll say goodnight! May God keep you in His arms and deliver you from all danger!

This is a beautiful devotion. I can’t wait to start praying the Rosary of the Holy Wounds. The Lord heard my prayers when I asked for strength to pray the Rosary faithfully and daily. This is amazing!

For those out here that want to pary for more blessings, read on:

It is related in the annals of Clairvaux that St. Bernard asked Our Lord which was His greast unrecorded suffering, Our Lord answered: “I had on my My Shoulder, while I bore My Cross on the Way of Sorrows, a grievous Wound, which was more painful than the others, and which is not recorded by men. Honor this Wound with thy devotion, and I will grant thee whatsoever that thou dost ask through its virtues and merit. And in regard to all those who shall venerate this Wound, I will remit to them all their venial and no longer remember their mortal sins.”

The prayer is as follows:

PRAYER TO THE SHOULDER WOUND OF CHRIST

O loving Jesus, meek Lamb of God, I, a miserable sinner, salute, and worship the most Scared Wound Thou didst bear on Thy heavy Cross, which so tore Thy Flesh and laid bare Thy Bones as to inflict on Thee an anquish greater than any other Wound of Thy Most Blessed Body. I adore Thee, O Jesus most sorrowful. I praise and glorify Thee, and give Thee thanks for this most Sacred and Painful Wound; beseeching Thee by that exceeding pain, and by the crushing burden of Thy heavy Cross to be merciful to me, a sinner, to forgive me all my mortal and venial sins, and to lead me towards Heaven along the Way of Thy Cross. Amen.

Say 3 Our Father, 3 Hail Mary, 3 Glory be

I try to do this daily. Later I will post another devotion of the holy wounds.

Plesase pray for my sister, Michele. She was admitted to the hospital last night. She has COPD and a failing heart. She is my best friend and i am scared. Thanks

God Bless and remember that Jesus has said “I am always with you”!!

Thank you for posting the Prayer to the Shoulder Wound. And yes, I will keep your sister in my prayers.

Also, please pray for my friend Jill, who is having a CAT scan for a cold that didn’t go away.

I have a relatively long passage I want to share. It is actully two different passages. Both offer great priviledges. Anyone who loves to meditate on the Holy Wounds will love the second passage.

Copy of a letter of oration found in the Holy Sepulcher of Our Lord Jesus Christ in Jerusalem, persevered in a silver box by His Holiness and by the Emperors and Empresses if the Christian Faith:

St. Elizabeth, Queen of Hungary, with St. Mathilda and St. Bridget, wishing to know something of the Passion of Jesus Christ, offered fervent and specials prayers, upon which there appeared to them Our Lord Jesus Christ Who spoke to each of them in the following manner:

True Letter of Our Savior Jesus Christ

*"I descended from heaven to earth in order to convert you.

In olden times, people were religious and their harvests were abundant. At present, on the contrary, they are scanty,

If you want to reap an abundant harvest, you must not work on Sunday, for on Sunday you must go to Church and pray to God to forgive our sins. He gave you six days in which to work and one for rest and devtion, and to tender your help to the poor and to assist the Church.

Those people who brawl against My religion and cast slurs on this sacred Letter shall be forsaken by Me.

On the contrary, those people who shall carry a copy of this letter with them shall be free from death by drowning and from contagious diseases and lighting; they shall not die without confession, and shall be set free from their enemies and from the hand of wrongful authority, and from all their slanderers and false witnesses.

Women in peril at childbirth will, by keeping this oration about them, immediately overcome the difficulty. In homes where this oration is kept, no evil thing will ever happen; and forty days before the death of a person who has this oration about him or her, the Blessed Virgin will appear to him or her. So said St. Gregorious. *

2.Consecrating the drops of Blood Our Lord Jesus in honor of the Drops of Blood I lost on the Way to Calvary.

To all those faithful who shall recite for 3 years, each day 2 Our Father, 2 Hail Marys and 2Glory Be to the Father, in honor of the drops of blood which I lost, I will concede the following 5 graces:

1. The plenary indulgence and remittance of your sins.
  2. You will be free of Purgatory.
  3. If you should die before completeing the said three years, for you it will be the same as if you had completed them.
  4. It will be upon your death the same as if you had shed all your blood for the Holy Faith.
  5. I will desend from heaven to take your soul and that of your relatives, until the fourt generation

Be it known that the number of armed soliders were 150; those who trailed Me while I was bound were 23. The executioners of justice were 83; the blows received on My Head were 150; those on My stomach, 108; kicks on My shoulders, 80. I was led, bound by cords. by the hair, 24 timesspitsd in the face were 180; I was beaten on the body 6666 times; beaten on the head, 110 times. I was roughly pushed, and at 12 o’clock was lifted up by the hair; pricked with thorns and pulled by the beard, 23 times; recieved 20 wounds on head; thorns of marine junks,72; pricks of thorns in the head, 110; mortal wounds in forhead, 3. I was afterwards flogged and dressed as a mocked king; wounds in body,1000.The soldiers who led me to the Calvary were 608; those who watched over me were 3; those who mocked me were 1008; and the drops of Blood which I lost were 28,430.

I read the second prayer and was astounded at how many times He was hurt. It brought tears to my eyes, just to realize the amount of savagery He had to endure to save us.

I thank Him for being my Savior and I wish to share His pain.

Eternal Father,
I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus,
in union with the Masses said throughout the world today,
for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory,
for sinners everywhere,
for sinners in the Universal Church,
those in my own home and within my family.

Amen.

Our Lord told St. Gertrude the Great, that the above prayer would release 1,000 souls from Purgatory each time it is said. The prayer was extended to include living sinners which would alleviate the indebtedness accrued to them during their lives.

I was watching Passion of Christ yesterday. Within 5 mins of the movie, I was already holding back my tears. Well, for the rest of the movie…

May our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all always!

A very GREAT deal did not survive Pope Paul VI’s scissors and torch.

Whenever I go to put prayers in a prayerbook, I have to replace ‘300 days indulgence’ or similar with ‘favored by Pope X’ whoever of the very many Popes who specifically indulgenced a prayer and gave it the indulgence, so that at least the people who pray the prayer know a particular Pope before Paul VI favored and loved a particular prayer.

If Paul VI had chosen to, he could have simply said that all previous indulgences were now ‘partial’ or ‘plenary’ where before they were ‘300 days’ or ‘plenary’, and let the decisions of numerous Popes before him stand.

However, the new general grants of indulgences are very general and so may cover (I am not going to pull them up just this moment) this prayer with a partial indulgence, if someone cares to look.

I like to think that -if- a previously indulgenced prayer -is still covered- with a ‘partial’ indulgence, the Lord in Heaven may well give it the equivalent weight it had before under the more specific indulgences.

How is your friend Jill? Hope she got the answers needed by the scan. I’ll keep her in my prayers.

God Bless!

I read somewhere, I can’t remember where, that it is customary to meditate on one of the Holy Wounds on each decade of the Rosary. So I do that now and it makes the whole thing even better I think.

Thanks for that. The bit I boldened I knew from the same person who told me about the Rosary of the Holy Wounds actually.

Did that say if we carry a copy of that letter we wont drown etc.? Odd. Can we just print off a copy? Does it need to be blessed?

I know, as much as I don’t want to be disrespectfull to a Holy Father, that man really makes me just want to pull my hair out!
:banghead:

Thanks for the input. I believe if we pray a prayer for the indulgences alone, a great many excellent prayers would be left unsaid. I believe the weight of a prayer is determined by the person who prays it. If you rattle off a prayer without regards to the content, it may as well not be said. A sincere prayer is heard by God and given more graces than a prayer said only for gain without sincerity. If a Pope has previously indulged a prayer through God’s own say so, how can any other Pope take that away? This is just my opinion. I believe if I pray a pray earnestly, indulged or otherwise, then God will listen. I say prayers that were indulged and then not, because I believe in the power of that prayer. Not because someone said it has lost its weight in power.

Thanks for letting me share!! I believe that God hears and responds to prayers that are sincere. One more thing, if you are praying a prayer for others that is no longer indulged, don’t stop. As an example: the Holy Souls in Purgatory. You reap better rewards here and in Heaven with prayers offered for those who cannot pray for themselves! When God tells me not to pray these prayers I will quit!

God Bless and have a truly inspired evening!

Just print off a copy. It is in the Pieta Prayer Book. It says to have a COPY of this oration on about your person.

I strongly suggest everyone get the Pieta Prayerbook. The 15 prayers of St. Brigid have a wealth of Promises from Jesus. They are also some of the saddest prayers I have ever read. They chronicle the Passion and Death of our dear Savior in exquiste detail. They also replace the Stations of the Cross. Many times I quote from them. I am memorizing these prayers by recitation. They will blow your socks off. There is a consecration for the last two hours of your life to the Blessed Mother. Many wonderful prayers. I am not very good at making up prayers, mine seem inadequate for God.

These books are available at most Catholic and Christian bookstores, as well as from the supplier, Miraculous Lady of the Roses.

www.MLOR.com

May God Bless!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.