Rosary on airplane

I do not know where to post this except here. :blush:

I have looked online and even airline security website. So here is my big question...

Can I keep my rosary with me on airplane flight? and another I bought as a gift?

Thank You- signed not a frequent flyer :)

I’ve never had any problem taking a rosary on an airplane. I kept mine in my carry on bag.

I have personally used a rosary a few times on a plane and no one has made a fuss. You should be fine but just in case, maybe have a rosary bracelet or ring to use on the plane. But, you should be fine.

God bless!

I can't think of any reason why you couldn't have one. I'm certain it's a very common item people keep on their person.

I hope so, because I like to fly on a wing and a prayer.

You are asking for practical advice so I will give it to you. I was a frequent flier before and after 9/11. There is absolutely no problem with taking a rosary with you on an airplane.

If you choose to pray the rosary on the plane then I recommend that you be very circumspect (not obvious). Post 9/11 there have been numerous instances reported in the media of normal well meaning people being singled out by fellow passengers or the flight crew for reading the Bible or praying on an airplane.

As long as your rosary isn't pointy and doesn't have beads filled with water, you're okay. :)

(They used to have beads filled with water from certain shrines or from the Jordan, if I recall, so that last bit isn't totally a joke!)

**One time when I was going through the security scanner, the security agent, as usual, had me empty my pockets and put everything in a small basket I realized that I still had my jackknife in my pocket :bigyikes:- along with my wallet, change, and rosary. Well -- he was thoroughly checking every ones basket and I didn't know what to do :confused:, so I put my wallet on top of my knife hoping that he wouldn't check that closely :byzsoc:. I handed him my basket and as he reached for my wallet to pick it up and look under it, his eyes opened up wide and he said, "Oh! A rosary!" then he just handed the basket back to me, without looking any further. **

I know that the Blessed Mother and my Guardian Angel helped me :angel1:.

I always carry my rosary in my pocket in a small case. never had any problem going on a plane with it from TSA.

I bring one along on flights whenever I go. And for awhile, it was flying on a weekly+ basis.

Saying the rosary is one of the best uses of what would otherwise be rather boring time. I would also say the Liturgy of the Hours.

If you choose to pray the rosary on the plane then I recommend that you be very circumspect (not obvious). Post 9/11 there have been numerous instances reported in the media of normal well meaning people being singled out by fellow passengers or the flight crew for reading the Bible or praying on an airplane.

Never happened to me and I was Delta Diamond or Platinum for years. ( and I am quite happy to say I have zero status now, I'd rather sleep in my own bed :thumbsup:)

I’m glad it never happened to you. I flew on a regular basis from 1967 through 2006. Everything changed after 9/11 and to ignore the current environment is folly.

I keep mine in my purse, and it’s never been a problem with the TSA.

OP here…thank you all so much. Not only do I now understand I can have my rosary

with me…it is good to know its possible there will be others too!

Oh…and now I imagine all the planes flying across the sky everyday, many people praying a

rosary :angel1:

:slight_smile:

The reason it could come up (though unlikely) is if a TSA agent thought it could be used as a garrote. I had a friend who used to climb a lot and about six months after 9/11 he was coming back from a climbing trip with two friends. They all had 4 or 5 carabiniers on their packs. His two buddies went through with no issues. He goes through and was pulled aside and told they were confiscating his “weapon.” It seems since he had attached the carabiniers end to end it was a chain. His friends on the other hand were fine since all 5 carabiniers were on a single ring.

Moral of the story is things that are harmless to us might be potential weapons to the TSA. Heck I remember them breaking the little file off my finger nail clippers and taking a pocket screwdriver I used for my glasses.

All that being said I’ve never had an issue with my rosaries when flying.

Note: I have not flown in North America at all.

I have always had at least one Rosary with me on all flights and have prayed the Rosary on many flights and have not had any difficulties at all.

Airlines have included: Emirates, Air Arabia (on which they pray in Arabic before take off - and I silently said "Hail Mary" during their prayer), Royal Jordanian, KLM, Egyptair, SAA, Kenya Air.

[quote="LoveMercyGrace, post:1, topic:321642"]
Can I keep my rosary with me on airplane flight?

[/quote]

Yep.

TSA also allows knitting needles. True story.

If you're worried, you could use a "TSA-friendly" rosary:

http://i.imgur.com/d3xTKyW.jpg

No metal...

[quote="Blue_Goose, post:6, topic:321642"]
You are asking for practical advice so I will give it to you. I was a frequent flier before and after 9/11. There is absolutely no problem with taking a rosary with you on an airplane.

[/quote]

Singled out how? In what way? Can you elaborate or provide a link to a news article? This sounds like a hoax.

I’m also a frequent flyer and I have a rosary in my carry on every time. I have never had an issue. ETA: my rosary is metal with plastic beads

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.