Rosary presentation in school

My son goes to a Catholic school; he’s in first grade. The school is largely supported by the voucher program, and they have far more non-Catholics than Catholics enrolled.

Yesterday, as my son was putting on his coat at school, he had forgotten to take his rosary out of the pocket after Sunday Mass and it fell out of his pocket. The teacher saw it and told him to remind her tomorrow (today) and she’ll let him show it to the class.

Well, he came home and told me, so I proceeded to try to print up some handouts he could give the kids. I found a “color and pray” rosary page, and I made up my own “Prayers of the Rosary” page.

While at school today he reminded the teacher. They passed out the pages, he showed the rosary, talked about it a little bit —told them its all about meditating on Jesus and less about the repetition of the prayers. Then, probably for the first time in many of their lives, they prayed the rosary. Actually, because of time restraints, they only got through the first two mysteries. But the teacher said they’d finish it tomorrow.

She gave my son an award after. It said: “Huge Success! Prayers of the Rosary.”

I’m so proud of him. Deo gratias.

Is this a public school, private school, secular, catholic? I am interested in this story, could enrage some parents that their child is being indoctrinated into the “cult of catholicism!!!”

I’m 23 and my mom is upset…lol :smiley:

Good for your son, that is an excellent story. If only it could happen more often.

Yeah, its a Catholic school, owned by the diocese. Its on our parish’s grounds. Well, let me re-phrase that; its Catholic in name, not in attendance. The non-Catholics FAR OUTNUMBER the Catholics. But the school does make it a point to say in their handbook that the Catholic faith is of the most importance in their curriculum, although from what I’ve seen the “faith formation” at the school leaves much to be desired. Academically, though, its a great school.

I agree, this sort of thing needs to happen more. BTW, why is your mom upset?

:clapping: Congratulations to your son! What a good little evangelist he’s making!

Oh my gosh :eek: a Catholic School teaching about the Rosary:eek: …

Isnt that what they are supposed to do?:confused: Regardless of what the make up of the student body is? Especially if they profess as you have stated

[quote=] But the school does make it a point to say in their handbook that the Catholic faith is of the most importance in their curriculum, although from what I’ve seen the “faith formation” at the school leaves much to be desired. Academically, though, its a great school.
[/quote]

I say Good Job for doing something that they should of been doing to start with…and AWESOME job to your son (and you for making the flyers etc.):thumbsup:

If people get offended by a Catholic school teaching the Rosary, then they should pull their kids out. It’s a Catholic school!

I was a non-Catholic in Catholic school where the Rosary was said every day. Guess what happened? I became a Catholic in my teens:)

Wonderful! Congrats to you both for jumping right on this opportunity.

Our CCD (public school kids) says a decade of the rosary before each class. Even if the children never say it at home, they have at least been exposed to it.

Yes, the rosary needs to be more fully integrated into Catholic schools. I went through Catholic school all my life - 80’s and 90’s - and I don’t recall a single instance of “rosary exposure” in school. I had absolutely no knowledge of the rosary until later in life. I didn’t learn the Apostles’ creed until I returned to the faith as an adult.

Catechism and evangelization have taken a severe nose dive. Some that I talk to say its been like that ever since Vatican II.

Not to toot my and my son’s horn, but the teacher also told us that about once per week my son gives a religion lesson to the class. I guess he just goes and repeats whatever I teach him. We usually do a chalkboard lesson here at home using the Baltimore Catechism.

I believe my son really has a gift for the faith. Our priest wanted him to make his first communion a year early, but I held him back because I want him to have a complete and full understanding of Who that is, and I just don’t think he does right now.

If you haven’t seen it already, check out this thread: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=195205 --Its about my son Trick-or-Treating.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.