Rosary question!

How is the rosary marian? I have been praying the rosary and somehow forgot its marian ‘dimention’. I know we say Hail Marys but how does it connect? I’m so embarassed for asking this! :o

When we pray the Rosary, we meditate on the events of Jesus’ life (the “Mysteries” of the Rosary) through the eyes of — and in the company of — Mary, His mother.

The Hail Marys are like “background music” to this meditation.

So the Rosary is both Marian and Christ-centered.

Well said and agreed. I’d say it is principally christ centered but also has a marian dimension. Especially if you conclude the Rosary with the Hail Holy Queen and the prayer for Mary to pray for us that we may be worthy of the promises of Christ.

Blessings,

Brian

Aside from what the others have said about Our Lady’s psalter, I have heard the Rosary described as witnessing the mysteries of Christ “through Mary’s eyes.” That’s always stuck with me, and I think it’s a pretty cool way to look at the different aspects of Christ’s life/death we meditate on.

Excellent responses
Prayers & blessings
Deacon Ed B

Plus, if I recall correctly, the Rosary was a prayer and devotion given to us by the Blessed Mother herself and at Fatima, she made 15 Promises of her intercession to those who recite the Rosary.

I think that is what makes this marian. But that being said, most Marian prayers and devotions always lead us back to the Father and Jesus, so they are always intertwined.

I’d recommend you to read this book by St. Louis de Montfort:

amazon.com/Secret-Rosary-St-Louis-Monfort/dp/0895550563

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.