Rosary question

I’ve been trying to pray 10 mysteries a day, and hoping to work up to the whole Rosary daily. My question for others who do this: If you say the Joyful mysteries in the morning and come back later for the Luminous/Sorrowful/Glorious, do you repeat all the introductory prayers with the Creed each time, or just jump right in to the next mystery and begin with Our Father?

I pray two mysteries a day, but since I pray them at different times I do start each one with the Creed. Those times when I try to “go for the gold” and pray all four mysteries, I will just jump right into the next mystery without repraying the Creed. To me, those introduction prayers setup the prayer session, not the mysteries.

Hi Discerner :wave: – In my particular case, yes, I do begin the introductory prayers over each time I pray a different set of mysteries. My reason for doing this is that I’ll begin in the morning with one set of mysteries, not really knowing exactly how many sets I’m going to finish by the end of the day. Part of the reason I do this also is because I use two different main rosaries because each is blessed (one by Pope John Paul the Great and one by Pope Benedict XVI). Recently, I’ve been splitting the mysteries between the two different rosaries. I also like praying a form of the Franciscan Crown for my Joyful Mysteries. It also helps me keep better track of what mysteries I’ve prayed and which I haven’t and gives me a sense of completion, even if I don’t pray all four sets.

But you can certainly just pray from one set to the other without using the introductory prayers if you like. Why do you think they have 15 and 20 decade rosaries? I hope I’ve been of help to you.

The only times that I have prayed the mysteries of the rosary at different time of the day has been when on retreat. Each time the rosary was prayed, it was treated as a new rosary. In other words, we began with the introductory prayers.
A local parish has the Marian Cenacle for Priests on Sundays. No, you do not need to be a priest to take part. The rosary is prayed from beginning to end with readings from the book read between one set of mysteries and a consecration to the Blessed Virgin Mary between the next set. The introductory and concluding prayers are only prayed once.
Saturdays are dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary. It is the day that I am most likely to pray all the mysteries of the rosary. I pray the rosary in one sitting. I only pray the introductory prayers once and I end with the Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary. If I pray the complete rosary on Sunday, I end with the Litany of the Holy Ghost.

Thank you all for your helpful answers:thumbsup: One more thing I wondered is if anyone has a particular method they use for meditating on the mysteries. Any thoughts?

I have shared this on other threads. As I pray each mystery, I add a single word or phrase after “blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus_______” It helps me keep focus.

Joyous
Annunciation=Incarnate
Visitation=Sanctifying
Nativity=Emmanuel
Presentation=Redeemer
Finding of Jesus in the Temple=*Teaching
Luminous
Baptism in the Jordan=Baptized
Wedding at Cana=Providing
Proclamation of the Kingdom=Messiah
Transfiguration=Transfigured
Institution of the Eucharist=*In the Eucharist
Sorrowful
Agony in the Garden=In the Garden
Scourging at Pillar=Scourged
Crowning with Thorns=King of Kings
Carrying of the Cross=Taking my cross
Crucifixion=Crucified

Glorious
Resurrection=Resurrected
Ascension=Lord of Lords
Descent of the Holy Spirit=Indwelling
Assumption=Raising us up
Coronation of Mary as Queen of Heaven=Prince of Peace

Sometimes the local parishes will have brochures with scriptural verses for each decade of the rosary. I also have a couple of books that have scriptural verses that can be used for each decade or for each Hail Mary. During cenacles for The Marian Movement of Priests, mentioned in my earlier post, one person reads a scriptural verse for each Hail Mary.

Hi Discerner and also Deb Chris :wave: I have a similar method. But my memory cues are a bit longer, mainly because my meditations have evolved since I began praying the rosary this way. Also, as far as the Joyful Mysteries are concerned, I have added two more since I enjoy praying it similarly to the Franciscan Crown. But I may just add certain elements of your meditations as well Deb. I think they may just fit in well with mine. :smiley:

Joyous
Annunciation=Jesus, whom you did concieve through the power of the Holy Spirit.
Visitation=Jesus, whom you did carry when you went to visit your cousin Elizabeth and her family in Elkarim.
Nativity=Jesus, whom you did give birth to in a stable in Bethlehem, with Joseph at your side.
Presentation=Jesus, whom you and Joseph did present in the Temple, but also to the Maji and the Shephards.
Finding of Jesus in the Temple=Jesus, whom you and Joseph did find in the Temple after searching for three days in Sorrow.
Mary Encountering Jesus After the Resurection=Jesus, whom you did behold in a personal way after his Resurection.
Assumption and Coronation of Mary as Queen of Heaven and Earth=Jesus, who did assume you body and soul into Heaven and did crown you Queen of Heaven and Earth.

Luminous
Baptism in the Jordan=Jesus, who was baptized by John in the Jordon River.
Wedding at Cana=Jesus, who did change the water into wine at the Marriage Feast in Canna.
Proclamation of the Kingdom=Jesus, who did come to proclaim, announce and establish the coming of the Kingdom of God for ALL people.
Transfiguration=Jesus, who was Transfigured on Mount Tabor.
Institution of the Eucharist=Jesus, who did institute the Eucharist at the Last Supper.

Sorrowful
Agony in the Garden=Jesus, who did suffer the Agony in the Garden for us.
Scourging at Pillar=Jesus, who did suffer the Scurging at the Piller for us.
Crowning with Thorns=Jesus, who did suffer the Crowning with Thorns for us.
Carrying of the Cross=Jesus, who did suffer the Carrying of the Cross for us.
Crucifixion=Jesus, who did suffer the Crucifixion for us.

Glorious
Resurrection=Jesus, who did Rise from the Dead on the Third Day.
Ascension=Jesus, who did Ascend Body and Soul into Heaven.
Descent of the Holy Spirit=Jesus, who did send us the Holy Spirit.
Assumption=Jesus, who did assume you body and soul into Heaven.
Coronation of Mary as Queen of Heaven=Jesus, who did crown you Queen of Heaven and Earth.

When I do this, I don’t do the introductory prayers with each set of Mysteries, I just jump right to the next Mystery and then the Our Father.:shrug:

Sometimes it helps to know why a person uses particular memory cues.
I use mine to keep focused on a particular role that Christ played/plays in the story of salvation.

With the fourth Joyous mystery, for instance, every firstborn son was consecrated to God as ransom for the Jews being delivered from Egypt. Jesus paid our ransom. He is our redeemer.
Just as Jesus is “Emmanuel,” God with us at the Nativity, He is also present “in the Eucharist.” (4th Luminous mystery). He will provide for our needs (2nd Luminous mystery).
By adding “in the garden” for the first sorrowful mystery, I see not only Jesus as he prayed but also the apostles as they slept. Jesus also works “in the garden” that is me that I might produce fruit.
He was “scourged” for my sins.
With “King of kings” during the Crowning with Thorns, I meditate not only on how the soldiers mocked Christ, but on how God is mocked even today.
I have physically felt the weight lift off my shoulders with “Jesus, taking my cross” and the forgiveness of “Jesus, crucified.”

Basically, I allow God to direct my focus/imagery as I pray. It will not necessarily be the same every time.I don’t want an excess of words to get in the way.

********************************************************************************************************If you say the Joyful Mysteries in the morning, than, you are obligated to repeat the Spostles Creed, etc just as you did the Joyful Mysteries.

PROVIGIL

Irish Kathy mentioned the Franciscan Crown. St. Louis de Montfort encouraged The Little Crown of the Virgin Mary based on St. John the Evangelist’s vision of a woman crowned with 12 stars. He added “Rejoice, O Virgin Mary; rejoice a thousand times” after the praises. I don’t have the praises memorized so I still need to use the book.True Devotion to Mary
The Little Crown with the praises is the morning prayer used by the Montfort Fathers and The Daughters of Wisdom.

I like Louis de Montfort’s Introduction to the rosary:
I unite with all the saints in Heaven, with all the just on earth, and with all the faithful (I leave out “here present” since I am generally alone). I unite with you, O my Jesus, in order to praise worthily Your holy Mother and to praise you in her and through her. I renounce all the distractions I may have during this Rosary, which I wish to say with modesty, attention, and devotion, just as if it were to be the last of my life.
We offer you, O most Holy Trinity, this Creed in honor of all the mysteries of our Faith, this Our Father and these three Hail Marys in honor of the unity of your Essence and the Trinity of Your Persons. We ask of You a lively faith, a firm hope and an ardent charity. Amen.

Going back to the original question. The rosary can be prayed all in one setting, and therefore only needs to be introduced once, or it can be prayed at different times during the day or week with each new time deserving a fresh start.
By way of analogy, a piano player will play scares to warm up before any practice period. If already warmed up, the warm up exercises are not necessary. The introductory prayers help prepare us to move deeper into prayer. Each time we come to the end of our session, we also pray the concluding prayer(s).
Before the daily Mass at noon, it is the practice to pray Hail Holy Queen, the Prayer to Saint Michael, and The Angelus as a community after the rosary. You might choose The Divine Mercy if you pray the rosary at 3pm. The point I am trying to make is that each prayer session has a beginning and an end even if the concluding prayers are not identical every time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.