Rosary question

I'm rather torn between Christian churchs at the moment but i was wondering, even though i'm not catholic is it acceptable to pray with a rosary? I also like to wear my aunt's rosary who died years ago because it reminds me of her and reminds me of what Jesus did for me and it reminds me that someone does love me along with how to make Jesus and God proud of the life i'm living.Is that alright as well?

p.s. i'm sorry if this is in the wrong area i'm new to the site and wasnt sure where to put it.

Jesus,our Lords peace be whit You.
Welcome to this forum.
There is nothing wrong in praying Rosary-prayers even if You are not[yet?]catholic. You can contact the nearest Catholic Church and ask the priest to explain how to use a rosary if You don't know.
But what comes to wear it on You,I personaly are against it,but only if You keep so that all see it,it is not a acces to Your cloths,it is a religius thing,used to pray whit. You can keep on You UNDER Your shirt,or what You are wearing,I do it sometimes,I advice You to rather have some crusifix or cross that shows Your faith. But honestly,I don't know what the Church says about it.
What You also need to know,I guess You do,is that every prayer must come from Your heart and soul.

I agree with Totterman.

1) Wearing a rosary is commonly considered disrespectful, especially by Catholics who have a devotion to Our Lady.
2) You do not need to be Catholic to pray to Our Lady, she wraps her arms around the whole Church, even if a member is not apparent to our earthly eyes (i.e, there are some who are a part of the Church because they earnestly seek Our Lord, but are not confirmed Catholics in communion with the Holy See).
3) You can go to this link: newadvent.org/images/rosary.pdf to learn how to pray the Rosary.
4) Pax Vobiscum.

[quote="SADN92, post:1, topic:216157"]
I'm rather torn between Christian churchs at the moment but i was wondering, even though i'm not catholic is it acceptable to pray with a rosary? I also like to wear my aunt's rosary who died years ago because it reminds me of her and reminds me of what Jesus did for me and it reminds me that someone does love me along with how to make Jesus and God proud of the life i'm living.Is that alright as well?

p.s. i'm sorry if this is in the wrong area i'm new to the site and wasnt sure where to put it.

[/quote]

SADN92, did you know that the Rosary is the prayer of the Gospel? It comes from the Gospel. All the mysteries are in the Gospel, as well as the prayers. For example, the first Joyful Mystery, the Annunciation, where the angel tells Mary she's going to have Jesus, is in the Gospel of Luke (first chapter). So, I would think all Christians, properly informed, would want to pray the Rosary. :)

Thank you for the help and opinions. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't offending catholics. As far as how to use the rosary I learned from a friend who is catholic she told me what each of the mysteries were and where to find them in the book. As far as my becoming catholic I'm not sure. I guess I would say I'm in a period of finding myself and where I belong. But there's not a catholic church for a good 30 miles where I'm from even though I would like to see if it was the way for me. And also another question
Didn't Mary bring the rosary and tell the people to wear it about their necks? If so why does it seem many catholics disagree with wearing it ? Just curious.

P.s. thanks for the welcomes

[quote="SADN92, post:5, topic:216157"]
Thank you for the help and opinions. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't offending catholics. As far as how to use the rosary I learned from a friend who is catholic she told me what each of the mysteries were and where to find them in the book. As far as my becoming catholic I'm not sure. I guess I would say I'm in a period of finding myself and where I belong. But there's not a catholic church for a good 30 miles where I'm from even though I would like to see if it was the way for me. And also another question
Didn't Mary bring the rosary and tell the people to wear it about their necks? If so why does it seem many catholics disagree with wearing it ? Just curious.

[/quote]

It's too bad you're so far from a Catholic parish. Is there a Catholic convent or monastery near you? They often have Sunday Mass open to all to attend. You could call the diocese to see what they could do for you, if you're interested.

The rosary began as a way for non-religious to join in praying the Daily Office that religious pray (it's now available for everyone as the Liturgy of the Hours of which there are several versions for lay people). What you are referring to is a vision St. Dominic had in which the Blessed Virgin told him to use the rosary to win souls.

We Catholics don't wear the rosary like a necklace, though because it's not ordinary jewelry but what we term a sacramental--that's an object used for sacred purposes only. We generally carry it in a pouch in purse or pocket. Please do join us in praying the rosary and asking for Mary's help and intercession. She leads us into a deeper relationship with her Son through the prayers of the rosary.

[quote="ZDHayden, post:3, topic:216157"]
I agree with Totterman.

1) Wearing a rosary is commonly considered disrespectful, especially by Catholics who have a devotion to Our Lady.

[/quote]

I wear a rosary around my neck often. It helps remind me of God at all times. There is nothing disrespectful about wearing a rosary out of love of God, but it is disrespectful if you are doing it just out of fashion or to say 'look at me I'm holy.'

Outside the Mass, the rosary is the most Christian of all devotions. There is no stipulation that the rosary be recited only by Catholics.
St. Louis de Montfort encouraged the wearing of the rosary. It is a statement of personal faith. Many of us who do wear the rosary, because of training, do not wear it openly. Rather we wear it under our clothing. Worn around the neck, the rosary is always available for prayer. We can feel the crucifix against our heart.
Interesting sidenote from Dave Wilkerson's Gates of the Alamo. Many who marched with Santa Anna wore their rosaries on their sombreros as a hatband. While the story may be fiction, the author included many references for the historical information within the book.

[quote="SADN92, post:5, topic:216157"]

[/quote]

Pray the Rosary often and the Blessed Mother will deepen you faith in Christ by bringing you closer to him.

[quote="DebChris, post:8, topic:216157"]
Outside the Mass, the rosary is the most Christian of all devotions. There is no stipulation that the rosary be recited only by Catholics.
St. Louis de Montfort encouraged the wearing of the rosary. It is a statement of personal faith. Many of us who do wear the rosary, because of training, do not wear it openly. Rather we wear it under our clothing. Worn around the neck, the rosary is always available for prayer. We can feel the crucifix against our heart.
Interesting sidenote from Dave Wilkerson's Gates of the Alamo. Many who marched with Santa Anna wore their rosaries on their sombreros as a hatband. While the story may be fiction, the author included many references for the historical information within the book.

[/quote]

Which reinforces that the rosary is a religious object, not just another piece of jewelry. :yup: Wearing rosaries on sombreros was the soldiers way of asking for Mary's protection and showing their devotion to her, and thus for Christ. Yes? It's the same reason many Catholics where scapulars or medals and crucifixes--as acts of devotion and aids to faith.

My parish here in the Middle East conducts "Deepening the Faith" sessions on the first Saturday of every month after the English Mass. This month's subject was the rosary.
Father told a story about a ruler who never prayed the rosary, but he did wear a large one. Where ever he went, his subjects saw the large rosary that he wore. As a result they began to pray the rosary. The man became very ill. In a dream he stood before the Judgment Throne. He was about to be condemned for his hypocrisy when Mary interceded. Although the man never himself prayed the rosary, devotion within his kingdom to Mary had grown to such an extent that the number of rosaries prayed paved the way for his salvation.

Yes, Della. The soldiers wearing rosaries on their sombreros expressed their devotion to Our Lady as they sought her protection and intercession. They often prayed the rosary. Mary always points to her son, Jesus.

I would like some other catholic feedback on this but the way I understand the Rosary is as follows:

I am busy - with work - getting the kids ready for school - etc...

But when I pray the Rosary basically (and here is my point) everything else stops for this time in prayer. Sort of a Mary v Martha event - All activities are good but it is also good to set aside time in prayer.

I do this with the Rosary as it is like carrying the Gospels around with you and you get into a rythym of prayer (other faiths use rythym and repetition in their meditations too).

God bless,
Gary

The rosary is a meditative prayer. When you meditate on the mysteries as you recite the rosary, it is like "carrying the Gospels around with you."
During catechist training I learned to add a single word or phrase after “fruit of your womb, Jesus _______” that increases my focus on the mystery being prayed.

Joyful: (1) Incarnate, (2) Sanctifying, (3) Emmanuel, (4) Redeemer (5) Teaching
Luminous: (1) Baptized, (2) Providing, (3) Messiah, (4) Transfigured, (5) In the Eucharist
Sorrowful: (1) In the Garden, (2) Scourged, (3) King of kings, (4) Taking my cross, (5) Crucified.
Glorious: (1) Resurrected, (2) Lord of lords, (3) Indwelling, (4) Raising us up, (5) Prince of Peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.