Rosary Question

I’ve always ended the rosary with the “Hail, Holy Queen,” and that’s the way I’ve always heard it ended until recently. My husband’s told me that growing up, his family always ended theirs with the Memorare. Is this just a matter of preference? Or is the Hail Holy Queen “built in” as one of those prayers that shouldn’t be removed from a rosary?

thats odd iv always heard it ended with Hail Holy Queen aswell. Sometimes after that i think some people say the prayer to St. Michael The Archangel. But i dont think iv heard of the the memorare being used instead.

I always at the end after Haily Holy Queen sum it up by asking Our Lady for protection of us all and the finish with the prayer to St. Michael.

I think it ends with the Hail Holy Queen. But that doesn’t mean you can’t tack on the Memorare or any other prayer(s) you like.

When I used to say the Rosary with the most holy women at my praish they taught me to always start the rosary with 'We offer this rosary for our Lady’s intentions and to bind all souls".

I’m sure this isn’t in the official rosary manual but it works for me :slight_smile:

I always end it with ‘Amen’. No extra prayers, just the rosary.

Yes, now that others have mentioned it, there have been some times when I’ve said additional prayers once the Rosary is finished.

So I guess my question is more specific: can you *substitute *the Memorare for the Hail Holy Queen, or is the Hail Holy Queen one of the fundamental prayers that shouldn’t be removed from the Rosary?

No the Hail Holy Queen is not part of the rosary. The rosary ends with the last Glory be. (technically the Fatima prayer is not part of the rosary as well).

To be extremely technical - and this often surprises people - the intial Creed, Our Father, 3 Hail Mary’s and Glory be are not part of the rosary either - though since now the practice is so well entrenched, everyone regards it as so.

The reason most people say the Hail Holy Queen, was because the rosary was often regarded as a replacement for a part of the Liturgy of the Hours ( or ‘Office’). Because at that time, the Hail Holy Queen was said through most of the year after every choral ‘office’, it was said after the rosary as well. At one point it also common to begin the rosary in the same way as the Liturgy of the Hours(i.e. O God, come to my aid…) . This was how it was begun:

Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with you.

• Blessed are you among women.

Lord open my lips
And my mouth shall declare your praise

God, come to my aid
Lord make haste to help me.

Glory be to the Father, etc. Alleluia
or in Lent:
Glory be to the Father, etc. Praise to you Lord, King of eternal glory.

I always end the Rosary for the Fatima prayer (O Jesus, forgive our sins … ) every single decades and the full. Rosary too.

Growing up, my family ended the rosary with An Act of Contrition.
It may be that the ending prayer was a matter of culture. It is more universally accepted to end the rosary with the Hail Holy Queen. followed by
*O God, whose only begotten Son, by His life, death, and resurrection has purchased for us the rewards of eternal life, grant we beseech you, that by meditating upon these mysteries of the Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, we may both imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise by the same Christ Our Lord. Amen. *

The Prayer to Saint Michael and the Memorare are considered extra prayers. My current parish also prays the Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary after the recitation of the rosary. The Rosary of Loretto also includes the Litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary prayed between the Hail Holy Queen and the Rosary (ending) prayer.

[edited]

I always end my rosary with the “Hail Holy Queen” and the other prayer. “O’ God, whose only begotten Son by his life death and resurrection…”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.