Rosary question

I’m a new Catholic so I’m not sure about this. If you are saying your rosary and get interrupted when you go back to saying the rosary do you start over or continue where you left off?
mlz

Unless I was at the very beginning, I simply continue. I actually have a little clip that I put on my rosary so I can pick up right were I left off.

I continue where I left off.

To gain the indulgence (plenary or partial, depending on the circumstances), one must say the five (or fifteen) decades of Rosary continuously, so that would mean starting over if interrupted.

That being said, I usually just continue where I left off because with 6 kids, I get interrupted quite frequently.

I found this from catholic.org regarding the indulgences available for praying the Rosary:
catholic.org/clife/prayers/indulgw.php

48.RECITATION OF THE MARIAN ROSARY. "A PLENARY INDULGENCE is granted, if the Rosary is recited IN A CHURCH OR PUBLIC ORATORY OR IN A FAMILY GROUP, A RELIGIOUS COMMUNITY OR PIOUS ASSOCIATION; a partial indulgence is granted in other circumstances. "Now the Rosary is a certain formula of prayer, which is made up of fifteen decades of ‘Hail Marys’ with an ‘Our Father’ before each decade, and in which the recitation of each decade is accompanied by pious meditation on a particular mystery of our Redemption. "The name ‘Rosary,’ however, is commonly used in reference to only a third of the fifteen decades. "The gaining of the plenary indulgence is regulated by the following norms: "

A.The recitation of a third part only of the Rosary suffices; but the five decades must be recited continuously. "

B.The vocal recitation MUST be accompanied by pious meditation on the mysteries. "

C.In public recitation the mysteries must be announced in the manner customary in the place; for private recitation, however, it suffices if the vocal recitation is accompanied by meditation on the mysteries. "

D.For those belonging to the Oriental rites, amongst whom this devotion is not practiced, the Patriarchs can determine some other prayers in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary (for those of the Byzantine rite, for example, the Hymn ‘Akathistos’ or the Office ‘Paraclisis’); to the prayers thus determined are accorded the same indulgences as for the Rosary."

I had the privilege of spending about a year’s time with Fr. John Hardon, SJ, Servant of God. He was a very holy priest (an advisor to Mother Teresa, among other things), and was frequently seen praying the Rosary. Father would sometimes stop mid-decade and make note of where he was in order to pick up later in the same spot. It’s certainly okay to pray it without intending to earn a plenary indulgence. But Father would lead us in praying a set of mysteries in the chapel, too. :wink:

Yours in Jesus through Mary,

Tom

Welcome to the Church!!
I have a very active and playful little sister and some naughty cousins that keep on disturbing me while praying the Rosary. For me it is okay to continue where you left off. The interruptions are sometimes annoying for sometimes, you are deep in prayer and someone would knock on your door.
God bless

Practice completing the 5-decades. Practice praying internally while others are around and distraction exists also.

The info is right above on indulgence (plenary or partial). Even further you need to be in a “State of Grace”. That’s step one, before step two of the indulgence.

You are going to be distracted now and again. If you don’t start over, you can just complete the 5-decades straight through next time during the day. :wink:

The idea to pray a decade here and there simply will at some point become not praying at all.

Pray, Its a good habit, like brushing your teeth etc.

"If you pray, you are positive of saving your soul. If you do not pray, you are just as positive of losing your soul. " St Alphonsus Liguori

It totally depends on whether or not I remember where I was. :blush:

The rosary is the best known and most widely used prayer format in the Catholic Church, according to numerous reports. It is a private devotion and much encouraged by recent Popes (as well as innumerable other individuals).

It is not, however, something that one should become stressed or upset about. If you lose your place and wish to continue, do the best you can. God is honored by your effort.

If you lose your place and cannot continue, that too is fine. God is honored by your effort. There have been not a few people who have focused too much on exactitude in saying it. That is not to suggest that one become sloppy; but if the matter becomes stressful, then one has to stop and say “What is the objective of all of this, and is that objective being reasonably achieved?”

Sometimes I will just pray a decade. There is no right or wrong way to pray a rosary. All prayer is our ability to immerse ourselves in Christ and if that is the goal then we are not to see “rules” for that relationship. So, if you are interrupted during your prayer of the rosary you do whatever allows you to regain that prayerful state and continue from there. Our Lady is just happy to hear from you again and when Jesus’ mother is happy you can know that He is very pleased as well. :slight_smile:

Very well said! :thumbsup:

I have seen similar questions concerning saying the rosary at night in bed.
A popular answer to that was that the angels would finish for you.

Perhaps in the instances you speak of the same would happen.

I’m a baby Catholic too and I’ve done both. Sometimes I can just end up holding it in my hand where I left off, sometimes I have to set it down. I know I often loose count of the Hail Marys, so I make sure I say at LEAST 10 in each decade.

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.