Rosary Question

I would like to make rosaries to send to missions. I had heard in the past that a rosary must have a sacred heart medal to be a true sacramental. Is this true? I have instructions to make rosaries with beads and a pattern for a crocheted rosary but these do not include an actual medal.
Would these be of any spiritual value?

:confused:

Rosaries do not have to have a Sacred Heart medal to be real sacramentals. You can put medals on it if you want.

I think its the scapular medal that requires a Sacred Heart on one side and the Virgin of Mt. Carmel on the other.

it is also not required that a rosary have a centerpiece, many patterns for knot rosaries, just have a knot for the 3-way join.

it is also not required that a rosary have a centerpiece, many patterns for knot rosaries, just have a knot for the 3-way join.

This is how they are made, the ones for Rosary Army. This is how I was taught to make them.

I also have an old (1950-something) book about the rosary, the author was an older man. He was in the 1st World War, & he said that back then, all the rosaries that he had ever seen were made with what he called a “little bit of metal” as a center. It was not a medal of any kind, just a metal join for the connection between the drop & the decades. I have a feeling that that would make the rosaries of those days more like the knotted kind.
Of course, it is possible to add a medal to any rosary.

Put in its simplest form the Holy Rosary is a counting device. YES :slight_smile: It will have spiritual value :slight_smile: Just get a priest to bless it and it will be the same as the most elaborate one made of silver & rubies.

Thank you all for your help. I’m sure the true value of any rosary are the prayers one says not the beads themselves. But I wanted to check on it.

Any blessed item is a sacramental.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.