Rosary Questions

Greetings!

I prayed my first Rosary tonight! Praise God! I attended a special service (not sure what it’s called), but we ended up doing 15 mysteries, as opposed to just a single day’s worth. It was pretty long, but I’ve got the Hail Mary down, and need to brush up on a few other things. It was an amazing experience!

The Rosary I used was borrowed by a close family friend, and I had to give it back at the end of the night. So… I’m Rosary-less at the moment. :frowning: I had a couple of questions, however. Is there a distinction between Rosaries for men and women? Also, I’d like to keep my Rosary on me at all times… as they are shaped like a necklace, can one wear one, or is that not allowed? It’d seem safer around my neck, than in my pocket, but who knows. Lastly, I’m not sure where in my area I can get a good one. Where would be the best place to order one online?

Thanks!

Congratulations on discovering the Rosary. I encourage you to get into the habit of praying at least five decades every day. Here is the Rosary Confraternity website, which also has some good information on the Rosary.

There are all kinds of rosary beads, so you can get any kind that you like. You can buy them in any Catholic store. You can even make your own, if you are skilled at that sort of thing: there are suppliers of rosary parts online. (I make them, and one of the ones I use regularly I made out of carnelian beads.) I don’t see anything wrong with wearing them: I always wore a rosary during my law school final exams, and especially when I sat for the bar.

There are also rosary rings and basic one-decade rosaries. I use a one-decade rosary whenever I pray the Rosary in the car: I once got a big rosary caught in the gear shift, which was…well, bad.

Congratulations on discovering the rosary. Stay with it for good things really do happen when you pray it regularly.

Typically, no. Of course, I’m not a big fan of really flashy ones. Mine is just simple plastic. In all honesty, it really doesn’t matter what the rosary looks like.

I don’t think that is the proper way to handle a rosary. While I understand that you wouldn’t be wearing it as a fashion accessory, I don’t think you are supposed to wear it around your neck. I know they make small rosary cases and bags.

I don’t think there is any one place. EWTN has a good selection and it supports its mission:
ewtnreligiouscatalogue.com/ROSARIES/cid=135/shop.axd/Category

And since we’re talking rosary, please look at the link in my signature. I would like to hope that I might have something to offer.

I am so glad you have discovered the Rosary, and that you’re so excited! The choirs are singing in heaven.

There’s an apostolate called Rosary Army that is more than happy to send you a simple knotted Rosary if you request one. Their website is www.rosaryarmy.com. Or, if you PM me your mailing address, it would be my great honor to send you one myself. If you would like to buy one instead, Etsy is a great place to get beautiful handmade Rosaries. They range in price from $20 to several hundred. My shop is blessmysoul.etsy.com (yeah, I make the beaded ones too), and I have linked from there to several other great Rosary shops, or you can put “Rosary” in the search box on Etsy.com’s main page. Also, a Google search will pull up dozens of sites where you can buy a Rosary. Some shops will have it blessed for you after you buy it, or in most cases you can just take it to your priest who will be happy to give it a blessing for you.

I love to wear my Rosary, though I usually keep it tucked in my clothes. I keep it in a case in my purse when I’m not wearing it. There is no “official” difference between Rosaries for men and for women, but guys usually like more masculine colors and heavier beads. especially if they’re going to wear them. I’ve read that scapular centers are frequently used by men and miraculous centers are used by women, but I haven’t observed that to be the case.

Anyway, I am SO thrilled that you have discovered this devotion! God bless!

-S-

Greetings!

Thank you for all the helpful responses and support!

I’ve got a rather silly question to ask…but what exactly would a masculine color be like? I mean, I know it’s not pink or yellow or anything like that… and certain colors could be gender neutral… but what would a masculine color be?

I’m looking on the EWTN store:

ewtnreligiouscatalogue.com/ROSARIES/cid=135/get_all=true/order_by=Price/sort_order=DESC/page_no=4/shop.axd/Category

What about the DARK BLUE LUCITE ROSARY?

http://www.ewtnreligiouscatalogue.com/images/catalog/detail/R6DBS.jpg

I like this one, too:

catholiccompany.com/catholic-gifts/2011413/SS-Black-Onyx-Rosary-6mm/

http://www.catholiccompany.com/images/product/2011413.jpg

It says it’s 20"L… so I assume it’s a full necklace.

Opinions are welcome!

Whatever color you like is fine. The important thing is the prayers you are praying, not the color of the beads. :wink: :smiley:

Praying the Rosary helped me through some very difficult times in my life. I need to get back into the “habit” of praying it daily. Thanks for the reminder! :smiley:

Hi and welcome to the wonder of the rosary!

If you want one of the best-constructed rosaries I’ve ever seen (and I make rosaries, too) offered at wholesale prices, please see:

stores.shop.ebay.com/Per-lAmore-del-Dio__W0QQ_armrsZ1

I have two rosaries from this eBay store and I marvel at their beauty and durability.

Our Lady grants many graces and favors to new rosary prayers - so ask away and expect miracles!

I hope no one will mind if I tack on a question to this thread. The Catholics here seem to take the rosary in their stride, but, as a stranger, I can’t understand why so many people seem to build their prayer life around the same repetitive prayer over and over.

It seems to me their attention would wander, and then they wouldn’t be concentrating. The words would be coming out by rote, and not have any meaning. I recently heard a Catholic priest on the radio say it was against the Second Commandment to pray an empty prayer (i.e., when a person isn’t concentrating). I wouldn’t want to break the commandment.

Also I have a little problem with the idea of asking the Virgin Mary to pray for sinners. It seems like a vague request. Which sinner, what sin? What is the reasoning behind the request?

I’m asking these questions because a part of me is drawn to praying the rosary, but another part of me, well, finds it a little creepy. Can anyone help me?

Hi Aiden12,

I’m not yet Catholic, but will be going through RCIA this Fall. I’ve only been praying the Rosary for about a month now, but will gladly share my experiences with it thus far.

Yes, it is rather repetitive, however, for me, it allows me to stay focused on the prayer. As soon as my mind wanders, I know, because my prayer will go from “Hail Mary full of Grace!” to “Hail Mary full lunch hungy.” This stops me dead in my tracks, because I know I’m deviating from my prayers! In living a Protestant life, I’ve found it so easy to get lost in prayers, especially when praying very casually, e.g. “Hi God. Umm, forgive me of my sins. Please help me. <request, request, request>. Amen”. The prayers associated with the Rosary are very disciplined, which I believe is part of the point. It’s also something you prepare for in advance, such as finding a quiet place, away from distractions, and where you know you’ll have a few minutes (usually takes me 25 or so to do 5 mysteries). This isn’t to say it’s meant to replace casual prayer, as it’s not, however, it allows one to easily enter a time of intimacy with the Mother of God (obviously), but also with The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit!

As for what sinners we pray for, and what sin, I believe this is directed to everyone, though you should certainly include yourself. When I say those words, I briefly think of myself, and any sins I’ve commited (repented for or not), but then my thoughts change to mankind, stained by original sin, and all sinners, guilty of all sins (which we are all guilty of, at some point in our lifetime). We’re asking for Mary to pray for us, but also mankind, God’s creation, that we ALL might be saved (though this obviously isn’t possible, due to those who do not recognize Jesus Christ), however, it remains a humble request.

The Rosary itself, is a powerful tool. I’ve often found joy during my stressful day, occasionally dipping my hands into my pocket and feeling the cross and the beads. It reminds me that God is with me, regardless of the turmoil around me. When I feel temptation coming on, I pull out the Rosary and just hold on to it. I even hold it sometimes when I’m just praying normally, and not the actual mysteries!

Anywho, those are my thoughts. I’m sure you can get better answers/viewpoints than mine, especially from some of the veteran Catholics around here. If anyone is reading this, please feel free to jump in! I’m sure you’ll be a blessing to both myself and Aiden12!

…but what exactly would a masculine color be like? I mean, I know it’s not pink or yellow or anything like that… and certain colors could be gender neutral… but what would a masculine color be?

Mine is sort of a dark red wood (and I am a guy). Then again I also have a black one…a green one…a glow in the dark one…a brown one…a grey one…so any of the above I guess. LoL. Guys, in my experience, have ones made out of natural materials; wood or stone. Some do have plastic ones.

In my experience everyone (or every Catholic) has one rosary that they think of as “their rosary”. When someone asks to see their rosary, or mentions ‘rosaries’ this is the one they will think of even if they have numerous other ones. The MOST important thing about a rosary is that it feels comfortable in your hand; that helps you pray it. That’s why I like heavier ones.

It seems to me their attention would wander, and then they wouldn’t be concentrating

The rosary, it can be said, has a body and a soul. The body is the physical beads and the vocal prayers that we say. At the same time however, we are contemplating/meditating on aspects of Christ’s life. That’s what the ‘mysteries’ are. That’s why we don’t wander or drift away in our thinking. It’s primary job is to be a Christo-centric meditation. What is a body seperated from it’s soul? Dead. In the same way, to genuinly pray the rosary, we have to meditate and pray out loud.

Which sinner, what sin? What is the reasoning behind the request?

“Pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.” So first of all, the person praying who is a sinner, and in addition everyone else who is a sinner in the whole world. For whichever sin people are dealing with, in private or public, we pray for. Especially at the moment of our death, when Satan will be attempting a last rejection of Christ.

“The prayer of a righteous man availeth much.” We don’t think it gets much more righteous than Mary, in Heaven directly facing the glory of God and one in being with His will (as all in Heaven are), and being the chosen Mother of Jesus Christ. Which other human, can correctly be called more righteous? Of course, the prayers of all the saints, being in Heaven, ‘availeth much’, but this happens to be a prayer with Mary.

I hope I answered your question.

Ah, now is that a problem with the rosary or how we approach the rosary? Prayer, in general, has as much meaning as the amount of effort you put into it. Yes, you can just blast through the words, but you would be right, there isn’t much value in that. The challenge is to pray it earnestly and concentrate. If you find yourself starting to wonder, then stop, realize that you are wondering away from prayer, and try again. None of use pray perfectly 100% of the time, but we are called to always continue trying.

Also I have a little problem with the idea of asking the Virgin Mary to pray for sinners. It seems like a vague request. Which sinner, what sin? What is the reasoning behind the request?

You left out a word… we ask Mary to pray for us sinners. That means you, me, and all of humanity. We all need Mary’s intervention and we should pray that we listen to Her advice and guidance since She only wants us to be closer to Her son, Jesus Christ.

I’m asking these questions because a part of me is drawn to praying the rosary, but another part of me, well, finds it a little creepy. Can anyone help me?

You have to change your perspective a little. It is not a mindless chant, but a dialog with God. I wrote an article about it a little while ago. I suggest you read it:
rosarymeds.com/rosary/the-rosary-speaking-gods-language

hi all, as far as repetitive prayer, remember that Jesus asks us to pray the Lord’s Prayer - i don’t think he intended for us to pray it just once so by default it is a repetitive prayer. many of us Catholics believe in the promises of Mary for praying the Rosary so this is why we pray the Rosary. for the benefits of repetition, there is much psychological research if you are interested in this. beyond this, the Psalms by tradition were prayed repetitively in many configurations and this has even been cited by some as one of the possible origins of the Rosary (if for whatever reason one does not beleive in the writings of St. Dominic). if you haven’t, be sure to include the Psalms in your daily prayer along with the Lord’s Prayer and the Rosary - there are so many beautiful Psalms that allow us to pray for humankind.

i wear my Rosary as it is a tenet of the Knights of Columbus to have your Rosary with you at all times and this is the only way i can remember to do so. it is not in bad taste (much as wearing a scapular) as long as you are not wearing with the intent of it being a fashion accessory. i would only stand corrected if the Catechism or Canon law specifically restricts this - if anyone knows of such a restriction, please provide a reference.

God bless one and all,
david

Thank you, everyone, for your contributions.
“The prayer of a righteous man availeth much.” We don’t think it gets much more righteous than Mary, in Heaven directly facing the glory of God and one in being with His will (as all in Heaven are), and being the chosen Mother of Jesus Christ. Which other human, can correctly be called more righteous? Of course, the prayers of all the saints, being in Heaven, ‘availeth much’, but this happens to be a prayer with Mary.*

The quote from the epistle of St. James was a huge help. It allays some nagging doubts I have had about prayers addressed to Mary. It is true that the prayers of righteous people do have a particular efficacy(I’ve learned that from experience in the healing ministry) so I can definitely buy into the idea that the Virgin Mary might be the best “prayer warrior” to have in one’s corner. (Gosh, the Virgin Mary as a prayer warrior.)

I also thought the observations about the rosary as a physical object was a good one.

I’ve often found joy during my stressful day, occasionally dipping my hands into my pocket and feeling the cross and the beads.
The rosary, it can be said, has a body and a soul…*

Certainly I agree with this observation: if you haven’t, be sure to include the Psalms in your daily prayer along with the Lord’s Prayer and the Rosary - there are so many beautiful Psalms that allow us to pray for humankind.

The rosary cannot be a substitute for other kinds of prayer. My family prays Matins and Compline at home, so there are a set round of psalms which are part of our daily prayers. Daily reading of the psalms makes such a difference, and the accompanying prayers–such as the Nunc Dimittis–are very beautiful.

As for the matter of repetition, I’m still a little unsure about this, but I thought the Star Wars movie metaphor was rather good. (It was on the rosarymeds link). Returning to a well-structured dramatic idea is certainly a different way of looking at repetitive prayer.

And I had to smile at this comment: *
Yes, it is rather repetitive, however, for me, it allows me to stay focused on the prayer. As soon as my mind wanders, I know, because my prayer will go from “Hail Mary full of Grace!” to “Hail Mary full lunch hungry.” This stops me dead in my tracks, because I know I’m deviating from my prayers!* (I guess the moral is, eat then pray! :P)

All in all, your comments did encourage me to feel positive about praying the rosary. So much so, that at lunch today I went down to a nearby Catholic bookstore and bought a rosary. It’s small and gray, and should do just fine. Time will tell.

Thank you for your help. God bless you all.

(Gosh, the Virgin Mary as a prayer warrior.)

You’re not the first to come to this image. Father Corapi, a well known priest in the U.S., who gives talks, has a great devotion to Our Blessed Mother and says “Your Mother wears combat boots”

St. Padre Pio, it is said, used to call out through his monastery “bring me my weapon!” when he wanted his rosary.

:smiley:

Also, keep in mind, as to repetition, Our Lord prayed the same prayer three times during His agony in the Garden of Gesthemane.

Think of the repetition, the same as praying the psalms each day during Matins and Compline. I’m not too up on the Divine Office, but I gather that over the course of 1 or 4 weeks, you cover all the Psalms, and this gets repeated.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.