Rosary vain repitions?

Is the rosary vain repitions?
"When you pray, don’t babble on and on as people of other religions do. They think their prayers are answered merely by repeating their words again and again.

Well…what do you think are “vain repetitions”? What do you understand are “vain repetitions”?

Is something meant to give God glory considered to be in vain? Just cause we are repeating something it is vain? This accusation has been used many times and has been stomped out many times. When we pray these prayers we don’t babble on. We are meditating on the life of Christ, Not mindless babble.

Take a look at Psalm 136. Many of these are repetitive, yet they are prayers very pleasing to God, and are still being prayed today. Jesus Himself prayed the psalms, so I believe He was familiar with those that repeat. I think the key words are “vain” and “babble” – neither of which are true prayer… You misinterpret Jesus’ meaning.

Hello Pizza Dude (LOL! Great handle!)

For me, the rosary is a meditative device; telling my beads clears my mind of ‘white noise’ so that I can better focus upon the mystery I am praying; glorious, sorrowful, joyful or luminous, and helps me to be open to God’s whisper. I have, on occasion, been surprised by a flood of emotion; elation, deep sorrow, whilst praying the rosary and for me, it is a powerful way to pray.

Of course, it doesn’t replace personal prayer, wherein you discuss with God your plans and worries and ask for the grace of His guidance, but each have their place.

In today’s sinful and sorrowful world; I wouldn’t consider the least murmur of a prayer wasted; God knows our hearts and our intentions.

Have a lovely day, Dude!

Jenny x

Are the scriptures vain and babbling?

Most of the Rosary is straight out of scriptures, and our Lord prayed the same prayers 3 times in the Garden as his passion was beginning.

The keyword is vain repetitions. The rosary contains repetitious prayers, but Christ only condemns vain repetitious prayer.

You are launching all of the well-worn anti-Catholic attacks in your threads here and then not interacting. Please read the forum rules and please ask questions, as you are badly mistaken in your accusations due to lack of understanding.

i normally dont respond to threads but ok i will respond to some

Two things you have to remember:

1. The “Hail Marys” are only one piece of the larger puzzle. When we pray the ten Aves of a mystery, we aren’t merely praying the words over and over again. We are also meditating on the particular mystery of Jesus’ life. If all a person is doing when praying the rosary is saying “Hail Mary, Hail Mary, Hail Mary” with no deeper reflection, then they’re doing it wrong.

2. Jesus was making an injunction against people who believe that the length or verbosity of the prayer alone was key, regardless of the internal disposition – basically he was saying “you can’t wear God down by talking him to death. You can say all the pretty words you want, but if your heart isn’t in tune with the prayer, it means nothing.” As it is with us. The Rosary is a beautiful prayer, but if I just say it mechanically and with no reflection, it is a bunch of empty words. But said with the proper intention and disposition of heart, it can move mountains.

ok i see now, so a vain prayer would be say “god please give me a wife” over and over again?

Yes and no. If all you’re doing is saying it mechanically, in the belief that the words themselves will do the trick then yes. But if you are giving over to God in trust that he knows what’s best for you, and are willing to accept his will for you either way, then no.

Whether or not the repitions are vain depends entirely on how you are repeating them. If you’re trying to use prayer as a sort of magic spell - mindlessly repeating words thinking that the fact that certain vibrations in the air originated in your vocal cords will cause good stuff to happen, then yeah, your rosary is vain.

But if in fact you are praying and focusing on God (through Mary or otherwise) putting your heart and mind into the words or using the words to help you focus on God, then that is not vain.

St. Louis de Montfort said that each Hail Mary of the Rosary properly said was like giving
Mary a rose that never dies. There are many spirtual benefits, promises and indulgences attached to praying the Rosary.

I’m glad someone noticed this…
:thumbsup:

Actually, he’s not. Unlike our usual hit-and-run “friends”, this poster has made it clear that he is actually inquiring and wants to listen and engage.

Christ is condemning vanity - praying to show off.

Vain means to do something out of pride. The Pharisees were experts at praying so that their piety could be seen. They were showoffs.

*And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. (Matthew 6:5)

They do all their deeds to be seen by men; for they make their phylacteries broad and their fringes long, (Matthew 23:5)*

Christ is condemning praying out of vanity, praying to show others how pious you are.

Christ himself used repetative prayer

*And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou wilt.” (Matthew 26:39)

Again, for the second time, he went away and prayed, “My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, thy will be done.” (Matthew 26:42)

So, leaving them again, he went away and prayed for the third time, saying the same words. (Matthew 26:44)*

Jesus always withdrew to pray - to the desert, to a lonely place, away from the disciples in the Garden of Gethsemani. Christ did not pray vainly, but in secret. He himself however, used repetative prayer.

If a Catholic wants to go someplace private like a Church or Chapel or their own home and pray a Rosary then it is no ones business but their own and they are imitating Christ who withdrew and prayed repetatively. We are not supposed to pray the rosary on the street corner to show off.

-Tim-

Nope they ain’t.

:thumbsup:

Wait, you mean you start threads and then don’t bother to respond?

How would you feel if we came to you and asked you about your faith teachings and never responded to you when **you ** answered?

Would you wonder if we understood you? Would you care? When you’re asking about God, doesn’t it matter**** if people are hearing the truth or not?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.