Rosary

Do you pray the Rosary? Do you pray it every day? If you do what do you pray for?

I pray that God may strengthen his church and send workers into the harvest.

I try to.

I’ve tried praying the Liturgy of the Hours and all other devotions, but the Roasry is most suited to my temperament. I pray for various intentions that people may express to me. Usually, if there is nothing else, I pray for a Latin Mass to come to our area.

That’s my 2 cents.

I do pray the rosary, and I do pray it every day, usually after daily mass or on my morning commute.

I almost always pray for the intention of the conversion of souls, especially those who have been deceived by the lies of the Mormon church. I also have special intentions for a couple of the decades - I always offer the fourth decade for the Holy Souls in Purgatory, especially family, friends and holy priests. I offer the fifth decade for the sanctity of priests, in unity with the prayers of the Confraternity of St. Peter (who pray for FSSP priests).

I have also prayed the 54-day rosary novena before. That’s a marathon novena, but I do believe it was quite fruitful. And it got me in the habit of praying the rosary daily.

I pray the rosary, daily. I tend to pray for souls on earth, in purgatory, priests, family, friends, confraternity brothers and sisters, etc.

so you went from the 54 day rosary to the 365 day rosary. Do you pray for yourself also?

Do you pray for yourself too?

I pray it every single day.

For the souls of purgatory, for world peace, for the intentions of people who come here and ask for prayers, for my catechumens (im catechist), for my parish priests and religious sisters, for my family (our protection, health and other intentions) and for myself so that God can guide me in this life.

I don’t do intentions for vocal prayers (rosary, Divine Mercy chaplet, etc) for myself much at all - I figure that if He wants me to have something, He’ll give it to me. I trust Him to give me everything I need for my own sanctification. If that means an exceptionally powerful consolation during mass, so be it. If it’s an $1100 car repair bill, then that’s a gift from Him too and I am also grateful for that.

During my daily mental prayer (as St. Teresa of Avila describes it, my time to talk with one of my best friends and get to know Him better), I often pray for the grace to be able to Love him as He deserves to be loved. I ask for God to make me humble, but not to let me know that I am humble, and Holy but do not let me know that I am holy, for in knowing my humility and holiness I would quickly sink into pride and lose all the grace given to me. I ask for the grace to accept His plan for me, and for me to grow as close as I can, as fast as I can, and if that means suffering, so be it. If that means sacrifice, I trust in Him that it will be for my own good. I pray for His love often as well - St. Francis de Sales says that a person can ask nothing greater in prayer than God’s love.

But I do ask for grace for others, mostly for the sanctification of priests, for the conversion of souls, and I offer up many sufferings to God for the Holy Souls. I figure if I pray for the conversion of souls and the sanctification of priests, that covers just about everything. Make us holy, and make sure the Church survives so we can be with Him here on earth.

There’s not much more to ask for really, unless a person wants to be specific about things. But usually, if you think about a situation, it will boil down to loving God and doing His will, or conversion of souls, or sanctification of priests. For example, when my boss was giving me such a hard time, I prayed a 54-day novena for the conversion of her soul. And when she fired me a couple of weeks ago, I prayed for her soul too. I also prayed for the grace to be able to love God despite the trials going on in this physical world of mine, and for the grace to discern His will for me. I also prayed that I could find a job that would allow me to continue to go to daily mass, as it has helped me grow in love for Him by spending that time with Him every day. I also thanked him for the opportunity to show Him that I loved Him through this trial and suffering. And, truth be told, thanked him that those Lessons in Humility that my old boss was giving me on a daily basis are now gone, and now I’ve moved into that much larger Lesson in Humility called the Job Search.

I did for years, but have had a struggle with it for a long time. I find it very difficult now to meditate at the same time as saying the Hail Marys. I can do one or the other, but both together is nearly impossible (or takes a VERY long time). Does anyone else experience this, and if so, do you have any suggestions?

I had to add my comments to this site because I do pray the rosary each and every day – the 1st two decades I thank God for my blessings and for my children and their safety --t he next decade I pray for my grandchildren,also for their safety, etc. the 4th decade I say several times for various people I’m anxious about – and the last decade I pray for all the people who have Parkinson’s Disease and also hopefully for a cure to the disease. I say this last decade before I turn out the light at night. I might add that my husband had Parkinson’s Disease and I do pray each and every day that they find a cure because it is a terrible disease

For many, self included, saying the rosary is often a challenge in mental discipline more than a spiritual experience. However, I find great consolation in the words of little Thérèse, who had this to say about saying the rosary (emphasis added):

I would not want you to believe, dear Mother, that I recite without devotion the prayers said in common in the choir or the hermitages. On the contrary, I love very much these prayers in common, for Jesus has promised to be in the midst of those who gather together in His name. I feel then that the fervor of my Sisters makes up for my lack of fervor; but when alone (I am ashamed to admit it) the recitation of the rosary is more difficult for me than the wearing of an instrument of penance. I feel I have said this so poorly! I force myself in vain to meditate on the mysteries of the rosary; I don’t succeed in fixing my mind on them. For a long time I was desolate about this lack of devotion which astonished me, for I love the Blessed Virgin so much that it should be easy for me to recite in her honor prayers which are so pleasing to her. Now I am less desolate; I think that the Queen of heaven, since she is my MOTHER, must see my good will and she is satisfied with it. Sometimes when my mind is in such aridity that it is impossible to draw forth one single thought to unite me with God, I very slowly recite an “Our Father” and then the angelic salutation "Hail Mary, full of grace, etc.]; then these prayers give me great delight; they nourish my soul much more than if I had recited them precipitately a hundred times.

Some days my prayers are like Monets (or at least like senior projects at the Art Institute), and some days my prayers are like crayon drawings on butcher paper. But I know that at the end of the day, Mother Mary will take my prayers and treasure them not from the quality, but from the love behind them.

not usually when I pray the rosary. No particular reason, I just never really did.

I do pray for myself just in different prayers. :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing.

When I first started doing the rosary it seemed time consuming; but then I got into reading books (alot) and while I was praying the rosary the time it took to pray it just appeared shorter and shorter. I like to read and I think of it like reading a book. Now its a breeze and I enjoy it. As a matter a fact I’ve lengthened my rosary session and take a short pause on each bead to meditate before I say the Hail Mary.

That’s great. We need someone to pray for Parkinson’s Disease. Keep up your efforts.

at least a decade a day. i am new at it and still a bit wobbly.

I pray for most of what cheese puff prays for. Being retired I find it quite easy to say up to 15 Rosaries dailey plus morning offering and the Little Office of the BVM throughout the day.

One of my big requests this past year has been for the return of all my children and grandchildren that have fallen away from the Catholic church. The Leonine prayers for the Holy Souls in Purgatory is another one that I have prayed dailey for over 6 years.

Okay, a quick question to those who pray the rosary:

I am trying to make the Rosary the one devotion I try to do every day, and if time permits I add other things to it. At minimum, I will get in my 5 decades.

Those of you that are married and working AND pray the Rosary, do you do anything else for your daily devotions?

That’s the way to practice it. Soon enough add another decade. Or on the decade you pray on now add a brief pause between each Hail Mary to meditate on the Mystery. I find if I take my time with it, it adds discipline to my wanting to accomplish the rosary.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.