Rosary?

I hope someone can help me. My husband bought me what he thought was a 1 decade rosary. He is not catholic and thought I would like it. I love it, but it is not a rosary. It has 3 sets of 3 beads and a metal of St Benedict, and a cross on the other. iam sure some one can help me.

Thanks, Julie

With chaplets like this (as they’re called) the medal usually gives the clue.

What you have there is a St Benedict chaplet. You can find out how to pray with it here. Even though the design on the webpage looks different to the one you described, the nine beads show that it is in fact a St Benedict chaplet.

By the way I did the same thing once - bought a Chaplet of the Infant of Prague thinking it was a one-decade Rosary.

Mind you you COULD still pray the Rosary on it - no rule against it. Just use the medal as the tenth bead or something :wink:

Thanks you so much ! yes I have prayed the rosary on it already.

Just glad I could help you there little lady :tiphat:

Give the St Benedict chaplet a try on it - see how you like it.

How sweet of your husband. :thumbsup:

this is slightly off the topic of the original post but I didn’t think it needed it’s own topic. Does anybody know if it’s OK to use a rosary made as a historical replica specifically one without a cross or crucifix on the end. As I do medieval reenacting I’d like to have a period looking rosary (e.g. this late 15th century bone rosary scroll down), but they rarely featured a crucifix on the end prior to the Council of Trent. I’ve been told that the crucifix is one of the features that was specified when the Rosary was standardised at the Council of Trent but that is after the period I reenact. I’ve often brought my modern Rosary to reenactments (as I usually would when I’m going away for a weekend) but I usually leave it in my tent as it is rather modern.

this is slightly off the topic of the original post but I didn’t think it needed it’s own topic. Does anybody know if it’s OK to use a rosary made as a historical replica specifically one without a cross or crucifix on the end. As I do medieval reenacting I’d like to have a period looking rosary (e.g. this late 15th century bone rosary scroll down), but they rarely featured a crucifix on the end prior to the Council of Trent. I’ve been told that the crucifix is one of the features that was specified when the Rosary was standardised at the Council of Trent but that is after the period I reenact. I’ve often brought my modern Rosary to reenactments (as I usually would when I’m going away for a weekend) but I usually leave it in my tent as it is rather modern.

I think that is a beautiful rosary…and I am usually a little “funny” about bone for beads. (Just :stuck_out_tongue: me).
I wouldn’t hesitate to use an historical form of rosary to pray with…but I’m not the best person to ask, perhaps. (Pray the rosary, make rosaries, but I’m Methodist, not Catholic.)
Still…I know there are people who use their 10 fingers to pray, so I can’t imagine it being a problem. I think it would be different if you were trying to avoid a crucifix for whatever reason, but I do know that the reason for a tassel, it was supposed to be to wipe away your tears when you consider Christ’s Passion, so :shrug: …
You know? It sounds like the tassel serves the same purpose as a crucifix…HTH!

Hey Zooey!
Why don’tcha make her one of your string Rosaries only like that single decade ones that I sent you that picture of?

Guys, Zooey makes some of the nicest Rosaries that I’ve ever seen.
PM her about it!

She’s also my good friend! :slight_smile:

That one just looks like an Orthodox prayer ‘rope’ (they use 'em to say the Jesus Prayer rather than the Rosary). Most of 'em don’t have a cross or crucifix on 'em either.

Thanks for your help everyone, I think I will start looking around for some nice glass beads and ask a friend to teach me how to make a tassel. I’m also trying to learn the Rosary in latin (I’ve printed out this booklet preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/BVM/Rosarium.html and am trying to get in some practice) so when I pray at events I can be period correct :).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.