Rose Sunday

The Fourth Sunday of Lent is called Laetare Sunday.
It is also called Rose Sunday.
In the Introductory Rite, it begins:
Rejoice, Jerusalem and all who love her.

There were vases of rose colored carnations

Did your church have any rose colored items for Rose Sunday?

Besides the priest’s chasuble?

Straight purple vestments today - no rose, pink, or “Pepto-Bismol” (as I have heard the color sometimes called).

Beautiful rose colored robe at ours. I believe our priest said that this is one of two days that they wear robes, the other being a Sunday (2nd?) during Advent.

Close. It’s the 3rd Sunday in Advent, the “Gaudete in Domino” (Rejoice in the Lord) Sunday.

The rubrics call for a muted Purple, (which most English speaking countries have translated as Rose). If the parish does not have a set in that color then Purple vestments are still used.

Straight violet at my parish. Since rose is only a liturgical color used on two days of the year (4th Sunday of Lent/3rd Sunday of Advent), most parishes don’t have rose colored items due to cost.

Yeppers, we did have a Priest in rose colored vestments. He even made a jibe at us NOT TO CALL IT PINK! O.K. O.K. Father, it isn’t pink already! :o

Glenda

Muted purple? The Latin says “Color rosaceus” which English, French, Spanish and Italian all translate as Rose.

Our parish owns no rose vestment and successive priests have declined our offer to buy some, some even stating categorically that they wouldn’t wear them even if we had them. One even said in his sermon that he knew what we’d all think if he wore ‘pink’, provoking uncomfortable laughter.

:shrug:
What’s wrong if they called it pink?

Pink is as much a masculine colour as any, If I were a priest I’d be glad to wear my “pink” coloured vestments. :smiley:

His implication is that we’d think he was gay.

:thumbsup: Yes, our priest wore rose vestments with purple trim. As Laetare means “rejoice,” the more festive color is allowed, and a small display of flowers are permitted also. This rejoicing Sunday which occurs in the midst of Lent is a reminder of the Easter to come, the promise of spring, and most importantly, the promise of Jesus’ resurrection. Rejoice in Him always!

At my Parish today during the dismissal of the children (for the children’s Liturgy of the Word), our Pastor asked the children if they knew why he was wearing Rose colored vestments? A little boy answered, “Because you had to give up something you like for Lent?” :slight_smile:

Look at the bright side. At least he will not wear a rainbow stole.

The abbot wore a rose chasuble for Mass today. And of course the introit really was “Laetare Jerusalem” in Gregorian chant, Latin and a cappella :slight_smile:

The other concelebrants wore purple stoles but with some rose stripes in them.

The organ was also played, the only Sunday in Lent it is played, and there was a very muted bouquet of flowers beside the altar.

No, he was more inclined to wear caribou skin chasubles with beaded eagles.

It does indeed say color rosaceus. However we have to remember that the rubric was written at a time before artificial chemical dyes, and when there were not the rainbow of color of hybridized roses we have today existed. The roses of the day did not have the fuller petals or color range, pink roses are in fact a very new variety. The SCR had to deal with Purple and Rose in the early 20th century as the new dyes were producing various shades of purple not seen in the past, and Rose became a pink cloth used by many vestment manufactures, who were also ignoring other rubrics. (i.e. the lining of the vestment is supposed to be the same color as the vestment itself, which was rarely followed for reasons of “Style”)

The SCR came out with a decectorial which covered what Roman Purple was, and Rose, defining it as a Muted Purple, It may take some time to find the actual citation.

Fortescue, and O’Connell both mention it. O’Connell in the three volume “The Mass” commentary on the Liturgy. I can’t put my hand on the Fortescue, just now, so I can’t say for sure if it is in the most recent edition, or if it was in the earlier editions before J.B. was to collaborate and update his books.

As an aside the SCR also deemed that Black vestments must use the new artificial Black dyes as prior to the advent of the new chemical dyes dark brown and very dark blue natural dyes were tolerated because the natural dyes did not produce true black. I have a brown tunicle, dalmatic, deacon’s stole and two maniples that I found at the Marche aux Puces in Paris, the partial set dates from around the 1820’s which got me interested in the whole issue of what colors are permitted. It would seem that if I was in the parish which the brown set was originally used, and the rest of the set was there, they could be used there and only there even today.

While on the subject of black (or very dark blue and dark brown) at one point in the early middle ages (according to Schuster and Jungmann both) Black was used during Lent, and Purple of any shade was rare, and reserved to bishops as it was very difficult to dye any cloth purple, since the dye was derived from a conch like mollusk found in the waters of the Eastern Mediterranean.

The Mass I went to was said by our Associate Pastor. He wore a Rose Chasuble.

When our pastor came out to assist with Holy Communion, he was wearing an alb with a Rose stole.

The Deacon who assisted was visiting (not from our parish), he wore a Violet dalmatic.

You are thinking of Tyrian Purple (otherwise known as Royal Purple).

There was a much more common purple dye in Europe, Roccella is a common Atlantic lichen that was used to produce a reddish purple color.

http://www.isabellawhitworth.co.uk/whatsnew/studiolog/archive2011/May11log/orchil.gif

Don’t see much behind my rose-colored glasses. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.