Rosh Hashanah Greetings

Wishing every one of you and all the world a Sweet, Peaceful, and Good Year!

21 Likes

May you have a good and sweet year

3 Likes

Let us pray for the Jewish people, the first to hear the word of God, that they may continue to grow in the love of his name and in faithfulness to his covenant. Almighty and eternal God, long ago you gave your promise to Abraham and his posterity. Listen to your Church as we pray that the people you first made your own may arrive at the fullness of redemption. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.

4 Likes

Wishing you a good and peaceful New Year!

3 Likes

May you have a Happy and Blessed New Year!

3 Likes

Well, yes. At the very least it is off topic for this thread. It may also be inappropriate for the Non-Catholic Religions forum. You could post your prayer in the Prayer Intentions forum.

1 Like

Yes, of course it did. Wasn’t that what you were hoping for?

3 Likes

I fail to see how quoting something from the Churches liturgy is deemed inappropriate.

Shanah tovah, @Meltzerboy2, and to all CAFers, not forgetting @Prodigal1984!

3 Likes

Prodigal you posted a very offensive prayer that hasn’t been part of the liturgy since 1955. The new prayer is post Vatican II and is quite different. I did not flag it but was quite offended by it. Then you did change it, I see to a newer version, but still not the right prayer the Church can use as part of the liturgy, but that first one you posted…

3 Likes

A good and sweet new year to all.

2 Likes

Yes there are officially two Prayers for the Jews. You were correct, I looked at the wrong one. In the OF it is
Let us pray for the Jewish people, the first to hear the word of God, that they may continue to grow in the love of his name and in faithfulness to his covenant. Almighty and eternal God, long ago you gave your promise to Abraham and his posterity. Listen to your Church as we pray that the people you first made your own may arrive at the fullness of redemption. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.

In the EF, Pope Benedict XVl changed it following SP because even though the 1962 Missal has a less modern offensive one by Pope Saint John XXlll, he felt it still was inappropriate for today, and it says

Let us also pray for the Jews: That our God and Lord may illuminate their hearts, that they acknowledge Jesus Christ is the Savior of all men.Almighty and eternal God, who want that all men be saved and come to the recognition of the truth, propitiously grant that even as the fullness of the peoples enters Thy Church, all Israel be saved. Through Christ Our Lord. Amen.

I just researched all of this and I am sorry I posted the wrong one. In fact this shouldn’t have been posted in this post anyways. Sorry to all I may have offended.

7 Likes

Thank you.

May you have a happy, peaceful and bountiful year!

2 Likes

No, it got flagged for being off topic- and you posted a little bit more than that.

2 Likes

l’shana tova tikateyvu,

To you, too @meltzerboy2. May it be a sweet one with peace!

2 Likes

May the L-rd’s peace and blessing remain with you and your house throughout the new year!

4 Likes

A happy and blessed New Year for our Jewish brothers and sisters!

2 Likes

I thought this message was appropriate for the season:

As we experience the High Holy Day season, let us take the time to understand how we listen: to ourselves, our families, and our colleagues. As we hear the prayers and the music, may we listen to the meaning in those sounds. May we hear words of forgiveness and apology, listen to those we have hurt, and learn from our mistakes. May we heed our call for justice, listening to the challenge of our prophets, and may we take these lessons to heart. Our people have heard the message of our tradition time and again. Perhaps this year we will listen.

Chag Sameach

Shanah Tovah Umetukah

2 Likes

Live long and prosper!

1 Like

כְּתִיבָה וַחֲתִימָה טוֹבָה

L’shanah tovah tikatev v’taihatem.

May you be inscribed and sealed for a good year.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.