Round-the-world teen sailor alive, well

Searchers have contacted a 16-year-old Southern California girl feared lost at sea and found her alive and well in her disabled boat..........

Abby Sunderland found alive

Great. I am glad she is safe. I hope this solo trip is at an end.

[quote="ruslan, post:1, topic:201590"]
Searchers have contacted a 16-year-old Southern California girl feared lost at sea and found her alive and well in her disabled boat..........

Abby Sunderland found alive

[/quote]

What idiots let their child do such a thing?
Last month it was the 13 y.o. climbing Everest.
What next?

[quote="didymus, post:3, topic:201590"]
What idiots let their child do such a thing?
Last month it was the 13 y.o. climbing Everest.
What next?

[/quote]

Especially since they had a good reason to believe that when she left California on January 1st that she would run into very treacherous oceans during the Southern Hemisphere's winter and even now she's only 500 miles north of several Antarctic islands, so you can only imagine what it's like there now.

ChadS

Reported this morning that her brother sailed around the world when he was 16. Apparently, they (parents and some sponsors) didn't get all the monetary support needed for her trip. Parents should be investigated. Wonder if they'd let the kid drive around the world at 16? And let's not forget there are pirates in these waters. She could have spent years in some hell of a prison.

How about we spend less time condeming the parents who let their EXPERT SAILOR OF A DAUGHTER do this and more time thanking God she is alive?

[quote="torch621, post:6, topic:201590"]
How about we spend less time condeming the parents who let their EXPERT SAILOR OF A DAUGHTER do this and more time thanking God she is alive?/QUOT

Disagree. This kid's life was put in jeopardy plus the lives of others who would have to go out and find her.

There is too much of this desire for 15 min. of fame going on in this world. It has deterioated to the point where parents are putting their kids in jeopardy to gain fame and money. Remember the Balloon Boy last year? Remember the 10 yr. old girl who was killed flying a plane about eight years ago?

I fail to understand how a kid of 16 can be an expert sailor. The assumption is, I guess, she can handle anything. Well, that didn't happen. No surprise. And expert sailor or not, it would have done her little good if picked up by pirates. Amelia Erhardt was an expert pilot.

[/quote]

Yes, let's make examples of them. THROW THEM IN JAIL! OFF WITH THEIR HEADS! :rolleyes:

Thank God she is alive! I hope her parents have learned their lesson. Their daughter's safety is more important than a record.

This is a two month trip. If I vacationed in Europe for two months, and let my fifteen year old son stay at home by himself, I would be investigated by DFS, and rightly so.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.