Rowan Atkinson: Anti-Christian?

Too bad. I always liked him. :frowning:

youtube.com/watch?v=fTzXJMU1sLc

I’m ashamed to say I laughed at some parts.

Most British comedians are. Just laugh at what’s genuinely funny. I still snicker at “The black bishop” from Blackadder 2.

You’ve only discovered this now? :slight_smile:

My personal favourite is Monty Python’s ‘Spanish Inquisition’ sketch. It doesn’t directly poke fun at the Church, it’s more absurdist and surreal humour, but hysterically funny.

Making fun of something does not necessarily equal being anti-that-something. I make fun of my friends all the time, but they’re still my friends.

– Mark L. Chance.

I get what you’re saying. But in his closing statements I really feel he’s trying to send a message and belittle Jesus/his miracles.

Maybe he’s not. After all, he is actor, and he is playing a character in that bit. Now, if he said the same things in an interview…

Is some of the humor in poor taste, even blasphemous? Sure. Is Rowan Atkinson some sort of anti-Christian bigot? Not that I’m aware of.

By way of counterpoint, check out this Atkinson clip:

youtube.com/watch?v=O6ZUq0C_D-Y

Might not someone who takes football very, very seriously come away thinking Atkinson is anti-football?

– Mark L. Chance.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.