Rowan Williams: gay relationships 'comparable to marriage'

timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article4473814.ece?&EMC-Bltn=OIUDD9

He wrote: “I concluded that an active sexual relationship between two people of the same sex might therefore reflect the love of God in a way comparable to marriage, if and only if it had about it the same character of absolute covenanted faithfulness.”

Wow. :confused:

In his 1989 essay The Body’s Grace, Dr Williams argued that the Church’s acceptance of contraception meant that it acknowledged the validity of nonprocreative sex. This could be taken as a green light for gay sex.

Funny, I always argued against the pill because of its side effects. I never thought this would be one of them.
I never argued against other methods though, so I am going to have to think about this. I know if I become a catholic I will have to make a tough decision about it. This sure helps me to.

He cited two academics as pivotal in influencing his view. One of them was Jeffrey John, the celibate homosexual whom he later forced not to become Bishop of Reading after an outcry from conservatives.

In his 1989 essay The Body’s Grace, Dr Williams argued that the Church’s acceptance of contraception meant that it acknowledged the validity of nonprocreative sex. This could be taken as a green light for gay sex.

Beyond the mind-bending idea that he “forced” John “not to become Bishop of Reading”, as if becoming Bishop of Reading were the blind course of nature and he exerted immense force to prevent it…19 years ago he said contraception was the gateway to acceptiing nonprocreative sex, and giving the go-ahead to gay sex. Yet we’re not expected to see a slippery slope in the acceptance of gay sex? The same slip down the same slope?:confused:

Lord have mercy, Christ have mercy, Lord have mercy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.