Roy Moore: Get Rid of Amendments after 10th

Roy Moore in 2011: Getting rid of amendments after 10th would ‘eliminate many problems’

YIKES

How much do you suppose it would cost to buy a person if we eliminate those amendments?

good question indeed.

It would undoubtedly get rid of many problems. The argument could be had whether the problems it would create would outweigh the benefits, but I see you have no interest in a debate but rather want to express your position as axiomatic, and therefore this thread serves no purpose but to inflame.

2 Likes

That is a start. Better still get rid of the whole crummy constitution and return to the Articles of Confederation.

Talk about inflame… We shall be needing some Preparation H after that statement.

I wonder if it would be cheaper to rent a slave. I’m sure some corporations would be set up and we would see commercials immediately. I wonder if I would end up being a slave or remain free. Would we base it on race or something like economical class or religion?

With an option to buy?

I bet it would be more expensive to buy a slave than rent one in the end.

Do you think Hispanics and Asians would be worth 4/5th a person or 3/5ths?

It’s interesting to me that before slavery was outlawed, white people couldn’t be slaves. On what grounds? What’s good for the goose is good for the gander, I say. Of course, there was ‘indentured servitude’ which resembled slavery but didn’t last forever.

I remember reading (but this is a long time ago) that there was a case where two indentured servants tried to escape their service and they received unequal punishment - the white one had several years added to the service and the black one had a lifetime indenturement (sp?) added to her service (I think it was a woman). I don’t remember if there was any reason given, but it had to be racial prejudice.

You should go even further and rejoin he British empire. Monarchy is best!

Eliminating these amendments would eliminate those pesky women who might not vote for him. On the other hand, it would eliminate his election altogether. See the 17th Amendment.

1 Like

In America at least. Although they did have indentured servants which were basically slaves for a certain period of time.

It seems this was said only to create a sensation, as there is essentially zero chance of doing what he proposed. It is very hard to get amendments passed. The only way to “get rid” of these amendments is to pass more amendments that explicitly repeal the earlier amendments, as we did with prohibition. Of course the 21st amendment repealing prohibition did pass, but I suspect that was only because it was painfully obvious that the 18th amendment was a failure, which lasted only 14 years. There is no such consensus now on amendments 11-27, which have have lasted for at least 25 years, and most for nearly a century. So let’s not get too upset with Mr. Moore’s fantasies.

Hopefully Mr. Moore will simply be a bad dream come Wednesday night. The politicians people have been willing to put in power recently is scary. What concerns me most in this situation is that the RNC and its leaders clearly condemned and publicly tried to find ways to side step him. But now that the cynicism of maintaining power has come home to roost again, they’ve again further demonstrated they will compromise their principles for anything. Both parties are in disarray, but one is way too willing to make the ends justify the means. This does not bode well for the country.

1 Like

I think it goes more to underlining his worldview. But I would posit that his violation of the Supremacy Clause indicates a general contempt for the entire Constitution.

If we start with the 17th amendment, Roy Moore is a non-issue.
Follow with the 16th.
Beyond those two, I’m more concerned about the attacks on the first ten amendments: speech, religious free exercise, the right to arms, due process, and limited government

1 Like

You’d have to ask Democrats. Slavery was their gig.

1 Like

Oh noes, Roy Moore wants to bring back slavery!!! Whatever will we do? I have an idea, maybe we could step back from the outrage ledge and credit him with using hyperbole. A lot of people would like to see the 16th and 17th amendments go away. We already got rid of the 18th. I wouldn’t object to raising the voting age back to 25 which would take care of the 26th amendment. I suspect even a lot of progressives would like to be rid of the 22nd amendment which prevented Obama from running for a third term.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.