Royal Wedding

I have been watching the news and they are talking about the royal wedding. I almost feel like it was an unhealthy thing to do.

It is such a make believe world. Kate and William look so happy but I have to wonder if it is an act. After all, William was probably trained since birth that looking good on the outside is all that counts. And then they spoke about Kate’s sister Pippa and said there was no sibling rivalry (am I suppose to believe that?) and then they talked about Harry and even made him seem all together even when they were saying ‘he has made some bad choices’

They even made William and Harry people to envie for the way they lost their mother lady Di.

It just seems to me like some marketing trick to fool people into believing a certain lifestyle guarantees happiness.

I just don’t see where God is in all this. Does God not want happiness for all his children.

I keep thinking of something my mom said ‘What exactly was going on in Charles’s mind at the ceremony when the minister talked about being faithful when he is sitting beside Camilla the woman he cheated on his wife with’

It actual makes me feel inferior to see all this glamour when I don’t have any of it.

how do others feel?

CM

I feel that that William seems very real and grounded, and that he and Kate are well suited to each other. After seeing the fiasco that his parents' marriage was, I think that he likely wants something very different for himself. Of course, as I don't know them and never will, I can only speculate.

I can't imagine living in a fishbowl as they do, and wish them well.

[quote="cmscms, post:1, topic:238181"]
I keep thinking of something my mom said 'What exactly was going on in Charles's mind at the ceremony when the minister talked about being faithful when he is sitting beside Camilla the woman he cheated on his wife with'

[/quote]

Maybe it was, "God have mercy on me, a sinner" or "Thank God for His forgiveness."

I for one think it's best to take the more charitable view. They've been together for quite a long time and I think Kate (unlike Diana) is going into her marriage knowing full well the pressure and scrutiny she's under.

I hope they have a happy and fruitful marriage.

Gi, :) I don't see how we are placed to judge individuals like William. He seems a sincere and decent sort of person. And I don't think we can assume he was trained to be good only on the outside. The young couple their affection and dedication for each other is anything less than authentic.

And if the royal family were merely simply a self-marketing firm, then even they cannot believe it is their special province. We all have been made aware of shortcomings of different members of the family, and who could forget the Queens wavering voice as she spoke of that year she called, annus horribilis
Or that she said, "we have our share of eccentricities, of impetuous and wayward youngsters and of family disagreements.” Elizabeth II

Sibling rivalry isn't mandatory! :) I have four sisters and we get on very well...we even quickly shed tears for each others' sorrows, and spring into prayer and support for each other.

Our brothers likewise..The sharing of our dear Father's furniture and bits and pieces was made difficult, not by sibling rivalry, but because it was so difficult to get anyone to say what they'd like to keep, as each was too concerned about the others' wishes...it took all my ingenuity to discover who actually did wish for what remembrance. It is possible that Catherine and Pippa get on well. We do, and there is nothing fake about our relationships.

Please be assured that things can be better than others, or you, may fear, and that integrity and good relationships in families and individuals are genuinely possible.

God bless

I liked the scripture reading they chose - it spoke entirely of selflessness and devotion to others and not at all of warm fuzzy feelings. Same for the sermon and the prayer they themselves composed. I think if they take that attitude into their marriage then they will go far.

They are a very very different couple from Charles and Diana - I think Wills is nowhere near so selfish as his father, nor Kate nearly so immature and inexperienced as Diana was.

Let us not forget that they have been living together for eight years.Why do we uphold them as pillars of happiness?

Trishie is right, we are in no position to judge them.

They have been together for 9years, and that is a long time, and perhaps it was the correct time for them to get married, since they have already established a strong relationship.

My parents had a troublesome marriage, and are now separated - have been for 11 years now. Now if by any chance, William would probably share similar ideas about his own marriage as I do - “Do not stuff it up like mum and dad”. Maybe…dunno…but you never know. :shrug:

And heck~ William is the eldest son of Princess Diana~ that is enough to say he should be a lovely person. :slight_smile:

For me, since I do not know them personally, I believe that the best way of looking at this event is with the best intentions, well-wishes and hope for the couple and the family. I agree with both dixieagle and wanner47 and the others… they appear more grounded and prepared for this.

In terms of a “make believe world”… of course it seems like a fairytale. How many of us are part of royalty. :wink: They lead a totally different way of life from most people. Being born into or becoming part of royalty and the aristocracy is completely incomprehensible to me, so to watch it from the outside can look and feel like a fairytale.

It doesn’t make me feel inferior at all. My overall feelings were of happiness and hope for them. When I witness a wedding (which is often… last year I sang at weddings almost every weekend from April to December) there is always this feeling of deeply felt happiness and hope for the couple. It can be very beautiful on so many levels from the spiritual to the physical. I think people naturally gravitate to what is beautiful. It can make you think of better and even more innocent times, inspire you to create beauty within your circle of life and loved ones. There was definitely much physical and sensory beauty for the royal wedding and hopefully there is spiritual beauty to it as well. Many want the best for them, and you need the spiritual beauty for that. I thought the homilies given were beautiful as well.

Now, can someone look at it as a marketing trick? Perhaps, if one is very cynical, but I don’t think of it like that. Again, I don’t know the couple or the family, but I felt sincerity and warmth.

For the most part I don’t think we do. My own take is that their future prospects simply aren’t as gloomy as the original poster was trying to make them out to be.

Just have to agree with some of the others. Granted, I was born 3 months after Charles and Diana's wedding, but I have seen footage. My mom was a big Diana supporter and has alot of royal family memorabilia. Anyway, when watching that wedding, it seems as if Charles isn't even there. That marriage seemed doomed from the start. Looking back, of course, it's easier to see that, but even then, some didn't think it would last.

William seems to be alot more grounded and looking at the wedding today, they seem much more in love. I wish them nothing but the best......

Fortunately we're not required to judge them.
They are a part of English life and heritage, and it serves the English well enough not to have abandoned it. Because of what is is, the ceremony of a future king is treated as an enjoyable event by the English. Most of us are generally unknown except by a few so our marriages remain fairly private events. Hollywood folk are also sometimes held up as models of happiness, not just specifically royalty...as for anyone else's state before God...our job not to judge, but to pray for others, including those in public life...I believe

[quote="Trishie, post:11, topic:238181"]
Fortunately we're not required to judge them.
They are a part of English life and heritage, and it serves the English well enough not to have abandoned it. Because of what is is, the ceremony of a future king is treated as an enjoyable event by the English.

[/quote]

Thats one of the things that bugs me with the wanting of Australia being a republic, we have such a deep history with England - I would hate for it to be severed.

[quote="Ashurie, post:12, topic:238181"]
Thats one of the things that bugs me with the wanting of Australia being a republic, we have such a deep history with England - I would hate for it to be severed.

[/quote]

America, for all its independence and uniqueness, has retained many things that its relationship with Britain brought it - legal system, language, political system and so on.

thats true, but i honestly don’t see Australia benefiting from being a republic - but that could be my British blood from my mother speaking there lol

[quote="Irish_Kathleen, post:6, topic:238181"]
Let us not forget that they have been living together for eight years.Why do we uphold them as pillars of happiness?

[/quote]

I don't think anyone is. If nothing else, we are happy that they are no longer living in sin. :shrug: (BTW - I wasn't aware they were living together? Has Kate been living at Buckingham Palace for eight years??)

William and Kate have been living in sin for eight years. Kate's parents have encouraged her to keep this sordid relationship going. They will definitely live in the most of oppulant styles. It makes me sick that people that do the right thing, never have the happiness that they will undoubtedly get. Let us not forget this. Please don't be happy for their lifestyle, because it is against what we as Catholics should believe. Give me a break!!!

They are Anglican....not Catholic. :shrug:

[quote="Irish_Kathleen, post:16, topic:238181"]
William and Kate have been living in sin for eight years. Kate's parents have encouraged her to keep this sordid relationship going. They will definitely live in the most of oppulant styles. It makes me sick that people that do the right thing, never have the happiness that they will undoubtedly get. Let us not forget this. Please don't be happy for their lifestyle, because it is against what we as Catholics should believe. Give me a break!!!

[/quote]

People who do the right thing are often quite happy.

People who lack charity and begrudge others their happiness usually create their own misery and should not blame it on their righteousness.

[quote="Irish_Kathleen, post:16, topic:238181"]

[/quote]

Are we to believe that you have special insight into the minds of Kate's parents? :confused:

They will be living in a small rented cottage in Anglesey for the next several years, as William fulfills his service obligation as a search and rescue pilot. They have chosen not to have servants, and like to do their own cooking and shopping. There will undoubtedly be some security personnel, of course.

They will not "undoubtedly get" happiness; no one is assured of that. We can only hope and pray for them, as for any young couple. I should think that you would be happy that they have chosen to marry rather than continue to "live in sin", as you say.

It is not lacking charity, It is righteous indignation. We can never condone that which is wrong in the eyes of God, almighty. Sorry you don't get it!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.