RSV-CE or CTS New Catholic Bible

I’m looking to add a modern translation to my bible collection. After doing some reading of various translations, I’ve narrowed down to the RSV-CE first edition or the CTS New Catholic Bible (Jerusalem Bible with all the Yahwehs replaced by Lord). I already have the Douay Chanoller and Confraternity Bibles.

My goals:
-Has to be a Catholic approved translation (no NIV or NKJV suggestions please).
-Good translation of original languages for study & apologetics.
-Easier reading than the more archaic translations I have.
-Not interested in a lot of inclusive language but a little is ok.
-Ok with some thee/thy/thous.

If you have an alternate suggestion please let me know. I worked with the NAB in the 90s and was never really happy with it.

Thanks.
Eric

I have tried out a lot of different Catholic Bibles. You will get a lot of recommendations on here for the RSV-CE or RSV-2CE because those are what CAF recommends for apologetics. This Bible is wonderful and I do recommend it a lot especially the one published by Ignatius Press.

If you are looking for very traditional, I would recommend going for the Douay-Rheims. This is in that classic King James version english that many people are drawn towards.

The CTS Bible is one that I really, really want to buy. You will have to pay a lot of shipping unless you go to Europe to pick up a copy! I really would recommend this because it is pretty much the famed Jerusalem Bible that Mother Angelica uses.

Blessings!

+JMJ+

[quote="landon13, post:2, topic:330633"]

The CTS Bible is one that I really, really want to buy. You will have to pay a lot of shipping unless you go to Europe to pick up a copy! I really would recommend this because it is pretty much the famed Jerusalem Bible that Mother Angelica uses.

[/quote]

Apparently, you can buy the CTS New Catholic Bible from eBay for just over $15 with free shipping from the UK: ebay.com/itm/The-CTS-New-Catholic-Bible-Hardback-/360681084107?pt=AU_Books_Textbooks&hash=item53fa4494cb

This is I think, however, the Compact Edition, which I read from a review has too small a typeset to read comfortably.

I use the CTS Bible and love it. I have a variety of versions, but this is the one I come back to time and again. I didn't realise it was not readily available around the world.

Looking at the dimensions on the ebay listing which nuntym posted, be aware that the print will probably be quite small. I have the large leather-bound "presentation edition" and still need to use my glasses to read it.

Key Features
Publisher Catholic Truth Society
Date of Publication 30/10/2007
Language English
Format Hardback
ISBN-10 1860824668
ISBN-13 9781860824661
Subject Christianity: Bibles & Liturgy

Publication Data
Place of Publication London
Country of Publication United Kingdom
Imprint Catholic Truth Society
Content Note Maps x 4

Dimensions
Width 145 mm
Height 96 mm
Spine 50 mm

You listed study and apologetics as two of your goals, which I think that the RSV-CE/2CE would cover nicely. This translation is more formal than the Jerusalem Bible for these two goals. Since the RSV is an ecumenical translation accepted by many Christian denominations, it is a good translation to use as a bridge for conversations about apologetics.
Don't get me wrong, I like the Jerusalem Bible for devotional reading and prayer.

[quote="landon13, post:2, topic:330633"]
If you are looking for very traditional, I would recommend going for the Douay-Rheims. This is in that classic King James version english that many people are drawn towards.

[/quote]

Thanks, but I already have the Douay-Chanoller. I'm looking for a change of pace from it. While there are times I love the thees/thys/thous/didsts/etc. I am not always in a mood to sift and filter through the older English.

[quote="Netty1, post:4, topic:330633"]
Looking at the dimensions on the ebay listing which nuntym posted, be aware that the print will probably be quite small. I have the large leather-bound "presentation edition" and still need to use my glasses to read it.

[/quote]

I saw that and thank you for letting me know. I would definitely have to go for the bigger font size, even if it means spending some extra money. At 41, my eyesight isn't what it used to be.

[quote="CalCatholic, post:5, topic:330633"]
You listed study and apologetics as two of your goals, which I think that the RSV-CE/2CE would cover nicely. This translation is more formal than the Jerusalem Bible for these two goals. Since the RSV is an ecumenical translation accepted by many Christian denominations, it is a good translation to use as a bridge for conversations about apologetics.
Don't get me wrong, I like the Jerusalem Bible for devotional reading and prayer.

[/quote]

Yes, but also looking for one for just reading too sometimes (sorry, forgot to put that in my original post this morning - I was typing the original on my smartphone and it was taking too long and had to get ready for Mass).

Would anyone recommend anything else to blend the JB readability with the RSV accuracy? Am I living in a pipe dream to think I can get both in one cover?

RSV

The other uses the JB which is not towards the “literal side” of things. As is the RSV. So less suited to study etc.

RSV is was is used in the Catechism and other documents even.

** I have several copies of the Jerusalem Bible. I looked forward to getting the CTS Bible. When I did get it I was surprised at how small it was. I bought the standard edition but, the print is extremely small. I rests on my shelf and never opened since the first day.**
** If you want the JB, go on ebay or buy the reprint editions. I am truly disappointed with the CTS. Not because of translation but size.**

[quote="bauerice, post:8, topic:330633"]
I bought the standard edition but, the print is extremely small.

[/quote]

They must have extremely small standards :D

Which treatment of the JB would you go with if you were looking around at some others? I’ve seen the Readers Edition, the Popular Edition, & the 1966 edition (w slipcase). What are the extent of the notes in these editions (something that does interest me in the JB)?

Hi, tvknight415!

I use the RSV, RSV-2CE, and katapi.org.uk/katapiNSBunix/Versions/versionsTextByBC.php?version=KNSB&B=301&C=1&Cv=4 but the JB even more. The Bible in the link is a very light revision of the 1977 RSV Ecumenical Study Bible which has the same text as the 1973 RSV Common Bible but additional books from the widest canon, and it's only available on the internet for now. (It can be downloaded as plain .txt, ask me by PM if You want the URL!)

My preferred version for large parts of the Bible is the 1989 Revised English Bible. See this post by me about Bible versions for study: accordancebible.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9479&p=43735
... plus JB for Ps 4!
And here is the post I wrote about devotional Bibles: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=10757928#post10757928

The JB Standard Edition has the full notes, it's like a study Bible, but it costs a lot since it's sold out and not in print. You have to compare between ebay, abebooks and perhaps amazon and sometimes there are very few copies.
I would go with the JB Reader's Edition, it has little notes, but for the money You save You can get some separate commentary/commentaries, but be prepared to spend more! The Reader's Edition is in print and should be cheap, just don't confuse it with other Bible versions, please!

There's a thread about commentaries where I post a lot, feel free to post there and bump it even though it's been some month(s) since the last post: christianforums.com/t7541241
... soon I'm going to post about a Philippians commentary.
There are also some additional, technical, commentaries in: christianforums.com/t7702363/
... and I'm soon posting about a Jeremiah commentary and perhaps some more OT commentary:

[quote="tvknight415, post:10, topic:330633"]
I've seen the Readers Edition, the Popular Edition, & the 1966 edition (w slipcase). What are the extent of the notes in these editions (something that does interest me in the JB)?

[/quote]

For anyone considering purchasing the CTS New Catholic Bible, please be aware of the following features:

1. Although the text is the Jerusalem Bible (amended to replace ‘Yahweh’ with ‘Lord’), the psalms are the Grail translation which matches the Catholic liturgy. The numbering of these psalms after Psalm 9 follows the Vulgate so it’s different to all modern translations of the Bible, including the JB. Also the verse numbering is different in most, if not all, of the psalms. These differences are very confusing if you are coming from the usual numbering scheme.

2. The footnotes are very brief and nowhere near as detailed as those in the standard editions of the JB and NJB. Some of the footnotes in the CTS Bible are sceptical and unsound in my opinion.

3. The text is printed across the page, matching the JB, but the print is not very ‘black’, so not as clear as the JB. The print size in the pocket edition is miniscule, which is fine if you have good vision, but you would struggle otherwise.

4. This edition has a poor subject index which is very misleading and unhelpful if you are looking up a specific subject or theme. The other appendices and maps are useful however.

So I’m afraid CTS don’t always get it right! My preference is always for the Jerusalem Bible, standard edition with all the footnotes, which I happily own but which is unfortunately out of print, although readily available through Abebooks or Amazon. For day to day reading and prayerful meditation I would choose the JB Reader’s Edition (known as the Popular Edition in the UK) which is still in print. I tried using the NJB but found it disappointing in the end. I didn’t like the neutered language and the insistence on ‘upright’ instead of ‘righteous’, not to mention the sceptical footnotes in the standard edition. The JB has its quirks but in my estimation it is a wonderfully inspiring rendition of God’s word.

If someone doesn’t want the Douay Challoner or the RSV-2CE–I would recommend the Knox Bible over the JB or the NJB any day.

The Knox is more accurate over the JB or the NJB by a long shot because it is closer to the Vulgate.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.