RSV-which publisher/printing?

Ok, so I think I've made up my mind to get an RSV-CE, so now I am looking for suggestions on which publisher/printing to go with. I know Ignatius prints a first & second edition, and I had the opportunity to look through the second at the library. I really liked the heavier paper, but I think I would prever to have a first edition catholic edition (would prefer to have some thee/thy/thous).

What I am looking for in my RSV bible is:

-Font large & clear enough to be read (don't need a large print, but please no compact-types). 9pt font would be ideal.

-Hardback for durability. Guess there's apparently some benefit to sewn as opposed to glued binding, so sewed is preferred.

-Would like to have permanently attached ribbon markers. At least 1, wouldn't mind up to 4 or 5.

-Would like it in a standard sized edition.

-Anything else you think you might recommend (good headings/notes/etc.).

Thanks.

The Ignatius edition includes at least some of the features you are looking for. You will have to contact them about binding type and the presence of page markers.

[quote="SonCatcher, post:2, topic:331546"]
The Ignatius edition includes at least some of the features you are looking for. You will have to contact them about binding type and the presence of page markers.

[/quote]

Have you checked out the offerings from Saint Benedict Press:
books.benedictpress.com/index.php/Bibles-Revised-Standard-Version-Catholic

I have a blue Ignatius RSV-CE1. The binding is sturdy, but the cover is a glossy casewrap (not a traditional fabric cover with dust jacket, but more like a textbook). Unfortunately, it fell by accident into a wastepaper basket in front of its bookcase and has a small chip on its cover's edge now. I like the font, but it appears to be mid-century (think: 1950's/1960's font). There is a Foreword by Richard Cardinal Cushing.

Be forewarned, that if the Isaiah 7:14 controversy irks you, the RSV-CE1 has "young woman" instead of "virgin." Also some of the proper nouns are typed like "A•cha′i•a" or "Mary Măg′da•lēne" so it makes me feel that I am reading a dictionary at times. :(

I cannot say anything about the RSV-CE2, but I have thought about getting it instead.

[quote="tvknight415, post:1, topic:331546"]
Ok, so I think I've made up my mind to get an RSV-CE, so now I am looking for suggestions on which publisher/printing to go with. I know Ignatius prints a first & second edition, and I had the opportunity to look through the second at the library. I really liked the heavier paper, but I think I would prever to have a first edition catholic edition (would prefer to have some thee/thy/thous).

-Font large & clear enough to be read (don't need a large print, but please no compact-types). 9pt font would be ideal.

-Hardback for durability. Guess there's apparently some benefit to sewn as opposed to glued binding, so sewed is preferred.

-Would like to have permanently attached ribbon markers. At least 1, wouldn't mind up to 4 or 5.

Thanks.

[/quote]

If you're looking for the RSV-2CE, then the Ignatius imprint is the only one you can get. It has no large-print edition, but comes in a 6"x9" format, which should make the print quite legible.

For the RSV-CE (first edition), I believe your best option these days are the offerings from St. Benedict Press. They are newly typeset and beautifully bound. They come in both standard and "large" print but I use scare quotes around "large" because their "large" print is about 10pt, while their standard print appears to be 8 or 9pt (I'm not very sure; I'm only estimating based on sight). Section headers have also been added. I wouldn't bother anymore with the blue Ignatius edition as its print is more difficult to read, dense and not really as nice as the St. Benedict.

I found some information at bible-researcher.com/rsv-ce.html about a couple of different versions of the rsv-ce (original ce, oxford/scepter compact, &ignatius 2nd ed). Anyone have thoughts on which version might be better? Are any of those worth worrying about?

[quote="tvknight415, post:6, topic:331546"]
I found some information at bible-researcher.com/rsv-ce.html about a couple of different versions of the rsv-ce (original ce, oxford/scepter compact, &ignatius 2nd ed). Anyone have thoughts on which version might be better? Are any of those worth worrying about?

[/quote]

Both the RSV-CE or the RSV-2CE are good. It comes down to whether you like some 'thees and thous' with your translation, if you do then the RSV-CE is your choice, if you don't care for them, then the RSV-2CE is a good choice.

Thanks - although I should have said, are the slight translation differences between RSV-CE, RSV-2CE, and Oxford Compact RSV-CE worth worrying about (was trying to type that response on my smartphone, and had a little one jumping into my lap while doing it).

I do like the thees and thous, but lack of them isn't a complete deal breaker. I'm leaning more towards the original due to the archaic language, but still looking for input. :)

[quote="tvknight415, post:8, topic:331546"]
Thanks - although I should have said, are the slight translation differences between RSV-CE, RSV-2CE, and Oxford Compact RSV-CE worth worrying about (was trying to type that response on my smartphone, and had a little one jumping into my lap while doing it).

I do like the thees and thous, but lack of them isn't a complete deal breaker. I'm leaning more towards the original due to the archaic language, but still looking for input. :)

[/quote]

They are nothing to worry about. The Isaiah 7:14 "young woman vs. virgin" argument will inevitably come up ("young woman" in the RSV-CE, "virgin" in the RSV-2CE) but both translations are actually sound and contrary to the claims of some, "young woman" in Isaiah 7:14 does not deny the Virgin Birth.

For the RSV-CE, the St. Benedict Press editions are for me the best choices out there.

The Oxford editions are a mess; they mistakenly mixed in text from the 1971 RSV and while one can argue that the result is better, they are NOT the correct RSV-CE and would avoid them, as I would doubt as to whether the imprimatur still applies.

The Ignatius "blue" RSV-CE still uses the 1960's typesetting with its run-on paragraphs and lack of section headers (although there are page headers, they are not as good as the new section headers in the St. Benedict Press editions). With the St. Benedict Press editions out, I don't believe there's any further reason to even consider the Ignatius "blue" edition.

For the RSV-2CE, only Ignatius Press sells this edition. The typesetting is excellent.

[quote="tvknight415, post:1, topic:331546"]

Thanks.

[/quote]

Don't overlook the St. Benedict Press iterations in your search. They are all RSV-CE (no "2" available from that source). I have seen one and it is nicely done but does not have cross references, which I don't care for. Nice paper, nice print, nice binding. The RSV annotated with Apocrypha is a nice, leather bound, study bible which includes the books in the Orthodox Bible as well, but it's larger in size.

[quote="OrthoCatech, post:4, topic:331546"]
I have a blue Ignatius RSV-CE1. The binding is sturdy, but the cover is a glossy casewrap (not a traditional fabric cover with dust jacket, but more like a textbook). Unfortunately, it fell by accident into a wastepaper basket in front of its bookcase and has a small chip on its cover's edge now. I like the font, but it appears to be mid-century (think: 1950's/1960's font). There is a Foreword by Richard Cardinal Cushing.

Be forewarned, that if the Isaiah 7:14 controversy irks you, the RSV-CE1 has "young woman" instead of "virgin." Also some of the proper nouns are typed like "A•cha′i•a" or "Mary Măg′da•lēne" so it makes me feel that I am reading a dictionary at times. :(

I cannot say anything about the RSV-CE2, but I have thought about getting it instead.

[/quote]

The RSV-CE2 by Ignatius Press fixes that issue with the wording of "virgin" instead of "young woman.".

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.