Rugby player who had stroke woke up gay and became hairdresser

7:29AM GMT 09 Nov 2011

Chris Birch, 26, suffered a stroke during during a freak training accident when he attempted a back flip and broke his neck.

But folllowing his recovery he quit his bank job to become a hairdresser, grew to hate sport, called off his engagement and started dating a man.

“I was gay when I woke up and I still am,” he said. "It sounds strange but when I came round I immediately felt different. I wasn’t interested in women any more.

“I had never been attracted to a man before - I’d never even had any gay friends. But I didn’t care about who I was before, I had to be true to my feelings.”

Prior to the accident, Mr Birch was planning on settling down with his girlfriend and spent weekends playing sport and drinking with his mates.

Mr Birch, of Ystrad Mynach, South Wales, said: "Suddenly I hated every* thing about my old life. I didn’t get on with my friends, I hated sport and found my job boring.

"I started to take more pride in my appearance, bleached my hair and started working out. I went from a 19st skinhead, to a 11st preened man.

[Excerpt]

telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8878301/Rugby-player-who-had-stroke-woke-up-gay-and-became-hairdresser.html

Interestingly, if the claims are true then same sex attraction maybe a behavioral issue and not a genetic issue.

Regardless of having a stroke or not, if I have asthma, blonde hair or am 4 feet tall I will still have asthma, blonde hair or my height because these are genetic markers.

[quote="richard_wang, post:2, topic:281148"]
Interestingly, if the claims are true then same sex attraction maybe a behavioral issue and not a genetic issue.

Regardless of having a stroke or not, if I have asthma, blonde hair or am 4 feet tall I will still have asthma, blonde hair or my height because these are genetic markers.

[/quote]

It looks to me like the same sex attraction in this case might be a cognitive issue, actually. If you have a stroke, I'd imagine your brain could be affected, which might then play a part in you possibly behaving differently, right?

Indeed.

BTW, this was the topic of a thread months ago; what makes the old story interesting now??

ICXC NIKA

Old story, was discussed when it happened

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.