rule of thumb

I read in a very non-Catholic book that the term “rule of thumb” refers to a Catholic Church rule that stated a man was not allowed to beat his wife with a stick that was larger in diameter than his own thumb.

Is this another one of the things Luther tried to throw out? Thanks a lot Marty…

What source does this book cite that attributes this teaching to the Catholic Church?

Scott

[quote=mark a]I read in a very non-Catholic book that the term “rule of thumb” refers to a Catholic Church rule that stated a man was not allowed to beat his wife with a stick that was larger in diameter than his own thumb.

Is this another one of the things Luther tried to throw out? Thanks a lot Marty…
[/quote]

That is the most ridiculous thing I’ve EVER heard

That was not Catholic law…that was actually a law that was written for law enforcement…I thought here in Kentucky (I’ve heard the rule of thumb), but possibly it was a guideline for all of the United States…

There are laws that still state that a parent can use discipline as he sees fit as long as it doesn’t leave bruises/marks on the child, and the rule of thumb law went along those same lines…Guidelines for abuse.

As you can tell…I don’t study law…but that’s definately nothing to do with catholicism…besides, if it were you’d be able to find it because catholicism doesn’t change

It was from English common law. English common law after the Reformation was anything but a reflection of Catholic principles.

rule of thumb

[quote=Todd Easton]rule of thumb
[/quote]

Thanks for the reference. So something that sprung up in Protestant England 250 years after the Reformation gets blamed on Catholics. Typical, so very typical! :rolleyes:

[quote=VociMike]Thanks for the reference. So something that sprung up in Protestant England 250 years after the Reformation gets blamed on Catholics. Typical, so very typical! :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Doesn’t that just “get your goat”?
~ Kathy ~

[quote=VociMike]Thanks for the reference. So something that sprung up in Protestant England 250 years after the Reformation gets blamed on Catholics. Typical, so very typical! :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I heard about the rule, but am glad to know it was NEVER a Catholic guideline.:thumbsup:

[/quote]

Let’s not go Protestant bashing - that does no one’s soul any good. Let’s instead hope that it was an honest mistake, and pray that anyone who reads this garbage will not believe it.

[quote=RyanL]Let’s not go Protestant bashing - that does no one’s soul any good. Let’s instead hope that it was an honest mistake, and pray that anyone who reads this garbage will not believe it.
[/quote]

I just don’t believe that it was an honest mistake. (I’m not referring to the OP here, who was just reporting something they had heard). How does something that came about in 18th century Protestant England become, by an honest mistake, attributed to, of all people or things, the Catholic Church? Why not to the French or the Egyptians? Why not to Hinduism or Islam? Why not Ben Franklin or Napoleon? It’s just too much coincidence for me. No, I simply don’t believe it was an honest mistake, though of course those who repeated it down the ages were not party to the original lie.

When I said “typical, so very typical” I meant just that. Read Newman’s “On the Present Position of Catholics in England” to see how typical. To quote from that work,

If you would have some direct downright proof that Catholicism is what Protestants make it to be, something which will come up to the mark, you must lie; else you will not get beyond feeble suspicions, which may be right, but may be wrong. Hence Protestants are obliged to cut their ninth commandment out of their Decalogue. “Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour” must go, must disappear; their position requires the sacrifice. The substance, the force, the edge of their Tradition is slander. As soon as ever they disabuse their minds of what is false, and grasp only what is true,—I do not say they at once become Catholics; I do not say they lose their dislike to our religion, or their misgivings about its working;—but I say this, either they become tolerant towards us, and cease to hate us personally,—or, at least, supposing they cannot shake off old associations, and are prejudiced and hostile as before, still they find they have not the means of communicating their own feelings to others. To Protestantism False Witness is the principle of propagation. There are indeed able men who can make a striking case out of anything or nothing, as great painters give a meaning and a unity to the commonest bush, and pond, and paling and stile: genius can do without facts, as well as create them; but few possess the gift. Taking things as they are, and judging of them by the long run, one may securely say, that the anti-Catholic Tradition could not be kept alive, would die of exhaustion, without a continual supply of fable.

[quote=VociMike]Read Newman’s “On the Present Position of Catholics in England” to see how typical. To quote from that work…
[/quote]

This is very interesting. I’ll check it out. Thanks for the recommendation, and I hope I didn’t offend you. It is simply my wish that any Protestant who might read this thread not be turned off by anti-Protestant bias. I hope you understand…
May God bless you and keep you,
RyanL

[quote=Todd Easton]rule of thumb
[/quote]

The archive of the AFU thread mentioned in that article can be read here:snipurl.com/f6wo

[quote=RyanL]This is very interesting. I’ll check it out. Thanks for the recommendation, and I hope I didn’t offend you. It is simply my wish that any Protestant who might read this thread not be turned off by anti-Protestant bias. I hope you understand…
May God bless you and keep you,
RyanL
[/quote]

No offense taken whatsoever. I understand the need for charity towards our Protestant bretheren who may be reading here (alas, I understand it better than I practice it, sometimes). But the Jack Chicks and Chinquys and Whore of Babylon AntiChrist No-Nothing crowd needs to be exposed. That can only help both Catholics and Protestants who read these forums with a good heart.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.