Rules about Godparents?

Is it allowed to have two women as Godmothers? Or could you even have a man as a Godtather and 3 women as Godmothers (4 Godparents)? Does the church require a man and a woman instead? Is it limited to only 2 Godparents?

May I give you this link with answers to many questions regarding godparents:
catholicdoors.com/faq/qu81.htm
It includes:
Q. 1. How many Godparents can there be during the Sacrament of Baptism?

A. 1. According to the Instructions of the Catholic Church, “One Sponsor, male or female, is sufficient; but there may be two, one of each sex.” [Canon Law # 873] No one can have more than two Godparents, nor can anyone have two Godparents of the same sex.

May God abundantly bless you and your family.
Kind wishes,
Trishie

No and no.

If there are two, yes they are to be of opposite sex. There can be one sponsor.

Yes.

vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P2Y.HTM

Please note, before anyone posts on here that they had 4 godparents, 2 godmothers, non-Catholic godparents etc, that the fact is they did not.

There are up to two canonical sponsors who must be Catholics. One of the two may be a Christian witness who is not Catholic, but only together with a Catholic sponsor. Any extraneous “godparents” were merely bestowed with such a title by the parents, they were not in fact actual sponsors.

That doesn’t mean that there is a limit to the number of people who can be “godparently” towards the child by helping them grow in faith. I am not my niece’s godmother but I give her religious gifts and help her grow in her faith.

Correct – one cannot.

Of great importance too is finding someone who lives their Faith -who is qualified for the role (those are the most important requirements) I note this for in our society some can be tempted to just pick a family member (as an kind of honor)…instead of seek out the right persons for this very important role.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.