Rules for Novenas

I have a question regarding novenas. Are there hard and fast rules for saying novenas? I know that it is traditionally nine days of prayer but what if you have an urgent need where nine days isn’t an option? Can you say the novena three times a day for three days? Can it be said in one day for nine hours straight?

A lot of CAF members will provide you with better answers to your concerns and there are many who will have Novenas as well (feel free to use any Novenas I have).

catholicdoors.com/prayers/novena.htm

fisheaters.com/novenas.html

ewtn.com/devotionals/prayers/novena.htm

Blessed Mother Teresa’s Express Novena it is very powerful with God and Our Lad

light-a-candle.org/Prayers/Prayers-To-Print/421.html

"spiritual 9-1-1"

NOTE: All prayer is centered on Jesus Christ. Know with absolute certainty that all that we give to Mary, she takes to Jesus. 

With great trust pray:

9 Memorares
“Remember, o most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to Thy protection, implored Thy help, or sought Thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, o Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To Thee do I come. Before Thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in Thy mercy, hear and answer me. Amen.” 

1 Rosary
Pray 5 decades of the Rosary (Joyful, Sorrowful, Glorious, or Luminous Mysteries. The choice is yours). Try to meditate well on the Mysteries, bring them into your own life. Pray the prayers of the Our Father and Hail Mary with great love and trust. The prayer of the Rosary is the prayer of the Gospel. That is why it is so powerful. When we pray the Rosary, we are praying the Gospel. The Gospel or “Good News” is Jesus Christ: Infinite Power!

1 Chaplet of Divine Mercy
This is an age especially in need of God’s mercy. Jesus gave this prayerful devotion, dedicated to His Infinite mercy, to Saint Faustina. Once again, pray with trust, even if it hurts. Just do it! It is not a feeling. It is a decision. An act of the will. The prayers “Eternal Father, I offer you the body and blood, soul and divinity, of your dearly beloved Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world;” and “For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us, and on the whole world,” are filled with power. The ending prayer “Holy God, holy mighty One, holy immortal One, have mercy on us and on the whole world” calls down God’s grace and mercy on us and all of our brothers and sisters.

So, you have a direct line to God. Call to heaven with the when you need to send a distress call for heavenly help. It will take less than an hour in most cases. If you don’t have that much time, make the solemn intention to do it as soon as possible. God loves you and will help you. He may not remove the problem, but he’ll always give you the strength and means to triumph over it.

9 Memorares

1 Rosary

1 Chaplet of Divine Mercy 

May God bless you and keep you safe in his merciful love!

Father John Corapi, SOLT

Would you do courageous priest a favor and share with us a time when Jesus and Our Lady brought you through a “spiritual emergency” by the power of the rosary or the chaplet of divine mercy.  Thank you.

[courageouspriest.com/spiritual-9-1-1](http://www.courageouspriest.com/spiritual-9-1-1)

And

Immaculate Heart of Mary I place all my trust in You

[youtube.com/watch?v=T-TdcA95Yp4](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-TdcA95Yp4)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

INFANT OF PRAGUE NOVENA PRAYER

This novena is to be said at the same time every hour for nine consecutive hours in one day. 

This is a good novena for urgent requests that cannot wait nine days to be prayed. You pray it every hour for nine hours at the same time. For example, if you begin praying at 12:00, your next prayer is at 1:00, then 2:00, until your ninth prayer is at 9:00.

O Jesus, Who has said, "Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find, knock and it shall be opened," through the intercession of Mary, Your Most Holy Mother, I knock, I seek, I ask that my prayer be granted. 

(Make your request) 

O Jesus, Who has said, "All that you ask of the Father in My Name, He will grant you," through the intercession of Mary Your Most Holy Mother, I humbly and urgently ask your Father in your name that my prayer will be granted. 

(Make your request) 

O Jesus, Who has said, "Heaven and earth shall pass away but My word shall not pass away," through the intercession of Mary Your Most Holy Mother, I feel confident that my prayer will be granted. 

(Make your request)

There are some Novenas, like the Irresistible Novena to the Sacred Heart, which you could pray for 9 hours, after every hour :slight_smile:

Irresistible Novena to the Sacred Heart of Jesus

O my Jesus, Thou didst say: “Amen, I say to you, ask and you shall receive; seek and you shall find; knock and it shall be opened unto you.” Hence I knock, I seek, and I ask for the grace of…

Our Father… Hail Mary… Glory be…
O Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place all my trust in Thee!

O my Jesus, Thou didst say: "Amen, I say to you, whatever you ask of the Father in My name, He will give unto you.” Hence I ask the Father, in Thy name, for the grace of…

O my Jesus, Thou didst say: “Amen, I say to you, heaven and earth shall pass away, but My words shall not pass away.” Encouraged by Thy infallible words, I now ask for the grace of…

Let us pray
Sacred Heart of Jesus, for Whom one thing alone is impossible, namely, not to have compassion on the afflicted, have pity on us miserable sinners and grant us the grace we ask of Thee, through the intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Thy tender Mother and ours.

Hail Holy Queen…
Saint Joseph, friend of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, pray for us!
Heart of Jesus, rich unto all that call upon Thee, have mercy on us!
Heart of Jesus, salvation of those who hope in Thee, have mercy on us!

mother teresa used to say the express novena when she needed an instant favour…its 9 memorares in a row…

i guess before it you could say something like, eternal father, through the immaculate heart of mary and also through her prayers and intercessions i now pray and offer to you the express novena of 9 memorares in a row and i beg you to grant to me through the prayers and intercessions of mother mary the following favours…amen

google express novena or memorare novena to find out more

Oops! I just realized that I made a mistake. I forgot to add the Y in Our Lady so it’s not Our Lady sorry about this.

Blessed Mother Teresa’s Express Novena it is very powerful with God and Our Lady

light-a-candle.org/Prayer…Print/421.html

I know I posted several Novena’s on CAF but I admit I’m not very good at them. I often forget the days of the Novena. :o

I will use “Our Lady of Lourdes” Novena for an example…Knowing me I would most likely forget Day.3, Day.4, and Day. 5 so by the time Day. 6 came around I would Pray this Novena Day 3-Day. 6 all in Day. 6. Is that okay to do that? I do take my time while Praying Novenas as well.

ewtn.com/devotionals/novena/lourdes.htm

God bless,
goforgoal

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.