Rules that Demons must obey?

Hello everyone! I was listening to Catholic Radio this past weekend, and there was a conversation about a popular unpopular topic - Exorcism, and someone was talking about Demons, and that like Angels, they must obey a series of Gods laws. I’ll be the first to admit I don’t know everything, but has anyone heard of this before, and if so is it true, and is there a list of laws that Demons must obey *? Also, are there any prayers that ask for the Lord’s protection from evil?

Thanks!*

Yes! Demons are created beings and are allowed only that which their Creator allows them to do. During exorcisms, note the following:

“At the end, the priest says to the demon, “Go away! Disappear!” The demon usually answers, “No, I don´t want to.” It rebels and revolts. Sometimes it says “You have no power over me. You are nothing to me.” But after a while, its resistance weakens. This usually happens after the invocation of the Holy Mother, she´s very important for that. No demon ever dares to insult her during an exorcism. Never…Otherwise no holds are barred, and everyone is insulted: the priests, everyone present, the bishops, the Pope, even Jesus Christ. But never the Virgin Mary. It´s an enigma.”

This is utterly amazing, and is a source of tremendous comfort to me.

To your first question: This reminds me of the book of Job, and how God limits what Satan may do to Job to test his faith.

Job 1:12 “Then the Lord said to satan: Behold, all that he hath is in thy hand: only put not forth thy hand upon his person. And satan went forth from the presence of the Lord.”

To your second: The Our Father has a line that says “Deliver us from evil”

If you want an in detail description and have a few hours, listen to Fr.Rippergers 2 part talk on demons. He is an excorcist in Tulsa.

Here is talk 1 of 2
youtube.com/watch?v=A5ZuP2itfy4

Here is talk 2 of 2
youtube.com/watch?v=5fM-qtYStJk

If you listen to these talks I would also listen to his talk on gaurdian angels.
youtube.com/watch?v=HROH926Ln-A

He loves His Mother so much to tolerate insults to Himself but not to the Blessed Virgin. (Well, I don’t know that’s the reason…)

Thank you for the feedback, everyone! Little Flower - I will definitely give those a listen. I think you’ve helped me before in a previous post, so thanks again!

:thumbsup: IMO also, there can be only one reason Satan and the demons do not speak out and insult Mary and that is because God has forbidden them to do so.

Reminds me of Job 1:12: And the LORD said to Satan “Behold, all that he has is in your power; only upon himself do not put forth your hand.”

At the direction of Pope Leo XIII, I remember saying the following **St. Michael **prayer after daily Mass. We went to Mass daily in the Catholic school I attended – many years ago!
St. Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do thou,
O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
by the power of God,
thrust into hell Satan,
and all the evil spirits,
who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls. Amen…

The traditional Anima Christi prayer, often prayed by some after receiving Communion, includes the following petition: “From the malicious enemy defend me”
ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/anima2.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.