Rumors about Lourdes

Many people know what Lourdes is.

Lourdes is a place of an Marian apparition where many people are cured.

But…there are a few rumors around that I would like to get answered…if they are true or not.

1:How many healings happen anually?

There are around 67 approved healings that are inexplicable.Around 7000 inexplicable too,but not Church approved.

However,the rest of the healings are ignored by the Lourdes Medical Comitee because they can easily be naturally explained.

So…taking into account around a few thousand healings since the 19th century…how many healings happen per year?

Can we also count natural healings?Does God also use natural means to heal people at Lourdes?

2:Is it true that the water at Lourdes cannot become dangerously infected?

I have heard a rumor saying that since Lourdes water contains many bacteria yet people think it has healing capabilities scientists tested it on lab animals

The normal infected water killed the lab animals.

But the infected Lourdes water simply did not.This is supposed ot be a miracle.

Is this true or not?

I would really like to know since this can be considered yet another miracle.

3:James Randi claims in his book The Faith Healers it was Lourdes merchants who suggested local waters had healing powers.

And those claims were made years before Bernadette`s vision.

The merchants promoted Bernadette`s story and gave it their own twist.

Is this shocking claim true?

4:This is supposed to be a miracle that happened in 1999:youtube.com/watch?v=mXFfHtxKEv0

The Eucharist suddenly floated up in the air by itself when the priest called upon the Holy Spirit.

Is this a real miracle?

Some people say it is not and it is simply strings attached that fake a miracle.

Some say it is a hoax made by computer manipulation.

Some say this is clearly a fake because the Priests and people do not react.

Some say it is an optical illusion created by the fact the Eucharists are saucer shaped and it caused them to shake out of balance and because of this an illusion happened that lookds like they are floating.

What is the truth about this alleged Eucharist miracle at Lourdes?

This is interesting. I did a little research and it does not seem that the Church has made any sort of statement regarding what happened during that Mass.

1:How many healings happen anually?

There are around 67 approved healings that are inexplicable.Around 7000 inexplicable too,but not Church approved.

However,the rest of the healings are ignored by the Lourdes Medical Comitee because they can easily be naturally explained.

So…taking into account around a few thousand healings since the 19th century…how many healings happen per year?

0.42948717948 approved, 44.8717948718 in total. Is my mathematics correct?

Can we also count natural healings?Does God also use natural means to heal people at Lourdes?

G-d can use both natural and supernatural, but we cannot confirm that natural healings are done by him.

2:Is it true that the water at Lourdes cannot become dangerously infected?

I have heard a rumor saying that since Lourdes water contains many bacteria yet people think it has healing capabilities scientists tested it on lab animals

The normal infected water killed the lab animals.

But the infected Lourdes water simply did not.This is supposed ot be a miracle.

Is this true or not?

I would really like to know since this can be considered yet another miracle.

During the 1897 Jubilee Pilgrimage to Lourdes, priest François Picard was thirsty after a long day. Rather than drinking fresh water, he asked an assistant to fill his glass from a bathing pool, heavily contaminated from the sick pilgrims who had been immersed in it. When the father had received [the water], he made the sign of the cross and drank slowly, right to the end. Then, he gave back the glass and concluded with a smile: “The water of the good Mother of Heaven is always delicious.”

Source: A. Pépin, “Le Père François Picard: directeur de l’association de Notre-Dame de Salut at des pèlerinages nationaux”, Pages d’archives no.3 (November 1963) p. 225, quoted in Ruth Harris, Lourdes: Body and Spirit in the Secular Age, Penguin Books, 1999, p. 246.

The water in baths there is **now **, constantly irradiated.

3:James Randi claims in his book The Faith Healers it was Lourdes merchants who suggested local waters had healing powers.

And those claims were made years before Bernadette`s vision.

The merchants promoted Bernadette`s story and gave it their own twist.

Is this shocking claim true?

No.

The 9th appearance (25 February)
“(The Lady) told me that I should go and drink at the fountain and wash myself. Seeing no fountain I went to drink at the Gave. She said it was not there; she pointed with her finger that I was to go in under the rock. I went, and I found a puddle of water which was more like mud, and the quantity was so small that I could hardly gather a little in the hollow of my hand. Nevertheless I obeyed, and started scratching the ground; after doing that I was able to take some. The water was so dirty that three times I threw it away. The fourth time I was able to drink it. She made me eat grass growing in the same place where I had drunk; once only; I do not know why. Then the Vision disappeared and I went home.” Bernadette was interrogated again. The spring reportedly began to flow a day later.

4:This is supposed to be a miracle that happened in 1999:youtube.com/watch?v=mXFfHtxKEv0

The Eucharist suddenly floated up in the air by itself when the priest called upon the Holy Spirit.

Is this a real miracle?

Some people say it is not and it is simply strings attached that fake a miracle.

Some say it is a hoax made by computer manipulation.

Some say this is clearly a fake because the Priests and people do not react.

Some say it is an optical illusion created by the fact the Eucharists are saucer shaped and it caused them to shake out of balance and because of this an illusion happened that lookds like they are floating.

What is the truth about this alleged Eucharist miracle at Lourdes?

I dont think so but I dont know.

Since Lourdes is an approved apparition I do believe in it.

Please be aware that there is always a lot of commotion about such happenings, and it is wise to not get upset about them.

Many people go to Lourdes and they are not healed. I understand that they come back with a peace about their suffering.

Our Blessed Mother used the words “wash in the spring” to Bernadette (I’m not sure of the exact words), and the spring is her Son, who washes us from sin. That is even more important than physical healing, although that is a wonderful gift.

I don’t know about numbers annually of miracles but I can respond as to your #2 due to personal experience. I went to Lourdes in 2002 and I grabbed a big plastic bottle and took water directly from the stream. That water has been in that bottle since 2002 that is a little over ten year. Some of that water has been drank over those years directly from the bottle so at this moment the bottle is half full. The water contained within that bottle which you can clearly see is river water after almost 12 year is perfectly clear and still safe to drink.

I have a friend who is a chemist that insists that it is not true that the water has been there for such a long period of time. Her argument is that is clearly river water and that water from rivers has natural bacteria which starts to develop and after a few years there should be noticible bacterial growth in the water. My water from Lourdes is exactly as clear and pure as the first day I collected it from the stream. My friend insists that it is impossible and she can’t believe me. I myself collected the wanted and have keep it in there for all these years. The longest I keep the water the more I get convinced it is a miracle.

So as to your number 2, yes from personal experience my water from Lourdes after over 11 years remains free from bacteria and free from continuation (despite being kept in the same plastic bottle) so I agree at this point it is a miracle.

As to its healing powers I personally believe more and more that it does have healing powers. At the beginning I thought of it more like spiritual healing but when I was pregnant I had a few complications and my doctor was worried about my daughter being under weight and having a heart issue. I started drinking the water. My daughter was born perfectly healthy and without any heart issues. Today she is a very healthy girl. There is always the chance doctors may have been wrong but I think that the power of Lourdes had something to do with her being born healthy.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.