Runaway Christian Convert to Stay in Florida for Now, Judge Rules

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,541540,00.html

“If I had stayed in Ohio, I wouldn’t be alive,” she said. “In 150 generations in family, no one has known Jesus. I am the first — imagine the honor in killing me.”

"There is great honor in that, because if they love Allah more than me, they have to do it. It's in the Koran," said in the interview, which has been posted on [YouTube]("http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0P5IaIE_LI").
                                   Rifqa, who is seen wearing a large diamond cross during the interview, said she had to hide her Bible "for years," and she repeatedly "snuck out" to attend Christian prayer meetings. She referred to previous victims of so-called honor killings, in which young Muslim women were murdered for bringing dishonor to their families.
                                   "They love God more than me, they have to do this," Bary told WFTV. "I'm fighting for my life. You guys don't understand. … I want to worship Jesus freely, that's what I want. I don't want to die."

So is this litlle girl just crying wolf because she doesn’t like her parents or is it remotely possible that Muslims would kill their children for converting?

:popcorn:

You have no heart…

:confused: Something I said?

Yes, they do. For those Muslims who are radical, it is, indeed, an honor killing.

Hard to believe. I know muslims in other countries do these kinds of crazy things but I was to believe that that sort of thing was cultural. Can’t imagine that’s the culture in Ohio(?) even among muslims. Any muslims want to explain this?

because if they love Allah more than me, they have to do it. It’s in the Koran

She seems so confused and has little knowledge about the Quran …what she said is no where found in the Quran…

** Whether the Muslims kill the apostates is a different matter, it is true that the so called Muslims (majority) are taught that the apostate should be killed.

But that is not Islam. That is the local Mulla verdict and it is believed all ove the world. I am not sure what is the law about apostates in S.Arabia and Egypt and Pakistan, Bangladash. I hope there may be a government law to kill the apostates. If it is not from the government, then there must be a law from the local religious heads. They teach and preach against conversions.

That is not Islam. Islam is against Oppression and compulsion in any religion. When Islam allows free peaceful preaching, then it can never disallow conversions.

I know that some Muslim country do not permit any kind of christian preaching in their country. That is bad. As long as the christians do not abuse the prophet Muhammad that he was pedeophile, that he was a robber,that he was a murderer, there cannot be any restriction on church preaching.

But we know that the Padres, instead of preaching the good points of their own religion, they start abusing our religion. So the Muslims do not allow such preaching in their country.

Anyhow, it is wrong of the Muslim leaders to kill the converts. That is a sin.**

Yeah, she’s confusing the hadith with the Qur’an.

More than “remotely” possible. It’s already happened in Ontario a few times.

She’s probably confusing the Quran with the Hadith, but yes in Islam the punishment for apostasy is supposed to be death.

Her parents are immigrants, as is clearly stated in the article. Obviously they are going to be influenced by the cultural norms of the society from which I come.

My own view is that teenagers should have a lot more legal rights across the board so that situations like this don’t arise.

Edwin

I’m inclined to think the girl was crying wolf, but if there’s an off-chance her parents are of a radical inclination, maybe there’s some truth to her claims.

That said, I think teenagers should be cut more slack when it comes to religious matters: part of the growing process tends to involve a spiritual awakening or reawakening of some sort, and if that means taking a long walk around the world spiritually, then the parents need to let their kids take that long walk. I think trying to force the kid into staying in whatever faith their raised in would, in a lot of cases completely backfire and cause the kid to resent their belief system of origin.

I actually think that there may very well be truth to her claims. Perhaps she’s exaggerating when she says that her life is in danger. But I don’t think you have to be an ultra-radical Muslim to react very angrily, even violently, to your daughter embracing another religion.

I think about the way my family reacted to my interest in Catholicism when I was in my 20s. They would never have been physically violent, but psychologically the arguments I had with my mother still leave scars. I was told that I was deluded by Satan, and when I was sick with blood clots my grandmother strongly implied that she thought God was trying to tell me something (the fact that I was in RCIA at the time and that a Catholic priest gave me Extreme Unction really sent her over the edge).

I don’t find it hard to imagine parents in a different cultural context being physically violent under similar circumstances, and even feeling that such violence was their duty.

Edwin

I heard this discussed on relevant radio on my way home today. It was a interesting listening topic. Now it is in the court’s hands on where the girl stays. The guest on the show was Robert Spencer. This is a link to his web page that discuss this topic. jihadwatch.org/ I would also like to add a second link on this topic americanthinker.com/2009/08/killing_rifqa.html

I would also like to hear from others in Islam about the penalty for apostasy.

‘Dealing with Apostates’ of Sahih Bukhari.

searchtruth.com/book_display.php?book=84&translator=57

Narrated 'Ikrima:
Some Zanadiqa (atheists) were brought to 'Ali and he burnt them.

The news of this event, reached Ibn 'Abbas who said, "If I had been in his place, I would not have burnt them, as Allah’s Apostle forbade it, saying, ‘Do not punish anybody with Allah’s punishment (fire).’

**I would have killed them according to the statement of Allah’s Apostle, ‘Whoever changed his Islamic religion, then kill him.’" **

Based on the age of the girl, I think it is reasonable to allow her decision to stand. If not, no good can come of forcing her back. Children are killed by Muslims in honor killings, even in America. We should never underestimate the potential hatred some Muslims have for all things that are not Islamic.

dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/010608dnmetfunerals.216ceab.html

What happens to “don’t Judge” , you didn’t even hear what his father says … maybe she wants to run away from her home and her family were upset of her conversion (normal feeling for any family of any religion) so she accused her father of wanting to kill her…I’m not saying that what happened,I’m just giving her father the benefit of doubt…

That is a possibility that one would be naive to discount. If the girl was younger, then it would be necessary to investigate this in a fair, impartial way. However, at seventeen, I scarely see the point.

I have read alot about Protestants who choose to convert to Catholicism describing the way their family treat them after conversion …it’s no different here.

But, her father says he would never do such thing , maybe he got into argument with her but not to the point of killing her…

remember , not every Muslims accepts every hadith …(killing apostates is not found in the Quran).

I’m also surprised that no one mentions this point :
she wrongfully describes here situation as “honor killing” ,that’s not true… “honor killing” happens when women accused of committing sexual acts…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.