Runners and/ or joggers . . . a question

I have been toying w/ taking up jogging. I found this site, which looks like a reasonably paced way to begin.

coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Has anyone used it? Anyone else take up jogging over 40, pushing 50?

I can probably find a discussion board, but I'm curious if folks here have done what I'm considering. :eek:

do not begin any exercise program without talking to your doctor first. I jogged 5 miles/day for decades. still miss it. its a great time to pray. may it bring you joy.

peace

I'm in my 40's and I love to run.. about 4-5 miles every other day. I've been doing it for years & years but I've taken time off to have babies.

With any excercise program the key is to start off slowly and build up. Jog a little, walk a little.. that's what I would reccomend. Like the other poster, running has been a great source of joy in my life.. it gives me some much needed time alone (I have 5 kids) and I often find solutions to problems or worries while running. I come from a long line of .. let's say robust Italian women.. but I've managed to maintain the same size since I was in my early 20's and I credit that to running.

Expect that you probably won't love it right off the bat.. your body will need to get used to running if you haven't done it before. You may not like it at all at first. I'd reccomend you keep at it though, so long as you aren't in pain. And by pain I mean - I cannot run this hurts - not an occasional or slight discomfort. You can avoid a lot of injuries/pain by investing in a good pair of running shoes. DO NOT lace up your sneakers that are six years old you wear to mow the lawn. Those won't cut it. If you want to give this a serious try, go to a running store which knowledgble staff who can ascertain what sort of shoe is best for your foot/gait. Expect a good pair of running shoes to cost around $100

Runner's World Magazine might be a good refrence/source of inspiration. Their website also has a forum.

If you find that running isnt' for you, I think speed walking is great too. The important thing with any excercise is to get on a good schedule and stick to it. Don't make excuses.. just do it! :thumbsup:

Second the doctor thing, and second the shoe thing.

Get a pair of QUALITY running shoes - not the $25 pair from Target or Walmart. Invest in the $100 pair from a running store. Trained personnel there will analyze your gait and suggest shoes if you pronate, etc. The shoes are the only thing between the pavement and your knees, so make the investment. Otherwise, you will be paying, literally, for it later at doctors appts.

Edited to add:
My son is a runner. He runs anywhere from 2-8 miles per day, and ran cross country in high school, so I've learned a LOT over the years about shoes!

Talking to your doc is probably the best and most conservative approach, so I guess I second (or fourth?) it. The website offers some pretty good advice; I have a few friends who use it.

I alternate running 2 miles every other day with 5 miles every other day. 2 years ago, I ran a mile for the first time and threw up. You can see that progress is definitely possible!

I joined Planet Fitness for 10 bucks a month when I wanted to start seriously running. Treadmills have a feature called Incline Intervals that really works well. You put it on a slow speed, like 3.5mph, and the treadmill will change its incline every minute or so. If it's a shallow incline, it's slow enough to walk, but if it's steep, you have to jog to keep up. It builds endurance fast! (The theory on that website is the same. Interval training works really well)

Ditto the good shoes. Plan on sticking with any exercise program for at least 2 months even if you hate it or are short on time. You have to do it at least that long for it to become a habit. Otherwise a break for a couple of days turns into a month than you stop. I'm 49 and have been running/exercising most of my life (got lazy in early twenties).

Plan to change those running shoes out fairly regularly, first sign of my shoes going is my back hurting- used to get 6mos of heavy use, now I get 3 mos of heavy use ie when running 4-5 days/wk (which stopped doing when knees started acting up- more below).

There are other aerobic exercises that are easier on the joints. Elliptical, bike or stationary Bike, swimming, rowing machine, treadmill. I say rosaries during aerobic type exercise. I used to run 4-5 times a week but now I run once a week, lift twice a week, and do some other aerobic type stuff above 2-3 days a week. You may find that you will like and stick to a variety more than just jog/run.

And again- talk to dr, start slow and build up, stick to plan until it becomes a habit- no exceptions in first 2 months.

I took up running in my late forties. Definitely hard to get started but now I run around 15 miles a week.

The shoes are very important. I got blisters after I started running over two miles at a time. Under Armour (any everyone else) makes good running socks; the ones I have come with a left foot and a right foot for a good fit. I only have a few pairs (they are costly) and wash them in the sink so the sock monster in the clothes dryer doesn't eat them.

Start slow and work up to enjoying it. I have a Nike + thingie to plug into my iPod and record my runs on their web site. It makes it a little more interesting.

Keep at it, and soon you too will be hooked and running five miles in 35 degree weather :blush: .

[quote="PaulinVA, post:7, topic:226023"]
Keep at it, and soon you too will be hooked and running five miles in 35 degree weather :blush: .

[/quote]

...or five miles in 10 degree weather!!!! Where there's a will, there's a way... :D

I recently did it through week 4 but then it started snowing (in December) and I stopped because I hate the treadmill and the sidewalks were too slippery to run on.

It is a great program because really, the time commitment is pretty easy. Week 3 was hard but I was surprised when I made it through Week 4. Give it a try.

The program looks good. I think my mom did something like this when she started out running. Running can be fun, but it is tough to start out. After the nine weeks you’ll have a much better idea about the proper way to pace, plus your fitness should have adapted.

One problem starting out is you don’t know your limits. You may at one time get impatient, do too much, and get hurt. Then you have to take time off. If your progressing, don’t worry about if you think you should be doing more. Early on you really need to get your body (muscles, tendons, ligaments, cardiovascular system) ready for it. Plus you’ll start to be able to read your body better and better, and know your limitations.

I think for myself eventually I’d have to get out of the workout three days a week. I almost need to do something everyday in order for the habit to really stick.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.