Running and the Rosary

Calling all runners... do you run and pray the rosary? Do you carry your rosary or just use your fingers or other means to keep track of your prayers?

I have been praying the rosary and running for about 2 weeks without fail but yesterday I ran with my rosary beads. I could keep track of my prayers but felt weird getting a good "handle" of my rosary.

Thoughts?

I haven’t been running lately (dealing with heel spurs… GRRR! :mad:)…

BUT… have you tried a ROSARY RING?
It’s a ring with little bumps on it that spins on your finger… probably a lot easier to deal with while running…

Maybe check out your local Catholic Store??? I’m sure they sell them online too… I’ll go research and be back in a bit!

Something like these:
discountcatholicstore.com/rosary_rings.htm
http://discountcatholicstore.com/images/ring1_small1.jpg

I didn’t even think of that, I got a few for my son. So we have that in the house. Bless You!!!

I don’t run, but I say the rosary while using the tread mill or the rowing machine. I had a nice rosary ring like the ones Em showed, but I can’t find it. (I hope that it turns up because it was blessed by Pope Benedict when he was in Washington.) I use a single decade rosary, and it works fine. When I say the rosary while doing laps in the pool, I have to count on my fingers.

This is so cool. I had thought I was weird because I say the Rosary while driving. Of course I do it from memory. My wife thinks ... "Your crazy noone does that."
I have to show her this post. God bless you for spending time with Mary.

I haven't been running lately because I'm expecting, but when I'm out and about or walking and saying a rosary I've been using my sacrifice beads. I'd never even heard of them until a couple of weeks ago when someone asked me to make some and then I just loved the idea! They work really well when I have my hands full because the beads slide up and down the strand and then stay in place. They look like this:

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu303/thiswomansplace/sacrificebeads.jpg

[quote="JerrySeibert, post:6, topic:195905"]
This is so cool. I had thought I was weird because I say the Rosary while driving. Of course I do it from memory. My wife thinks ... "Your crazy noone does that."
I have to show her this post. God bless you for spending time with Mary.

[/quote]

That's one of my favorite times to get in an extra rosary! And I know a couple other people who do it too, so you're definitely not alone!

I think my daughter thinks that that's what we're supposed to do when we're in the car. A few times she had tantrums on the way to Mass and that was the only thing that would calm her down!

This is so funny! I thought I was the only one that ran with Rosary beads!
Try running, with beads saying the rosary and a crazy dog who pulls in the opposite direction to you!
I need to find my chaplet, I know I have it somewhere…:smiley:

This is something I do while walking, not running. But I find counting on my fingers works very well. Left hand is for counting complete decades, and right hand is for counting Hail Mary's. So I don't get lost whether I'm on 1,2,3,4,5 or 6,7,8,9,10, I could from thumb to pinky for 1-5 and then from pinky to thumb for 6-10.

Seems like the rosary ring or - maybe - a penal rosary is just the ticket.

I have been running, exercising,and driving while praying the rosary for over 30 years. My father and grandfather did the same.

If you are very tactile count-y folks I guess you might see a need for the ring or beads while running.

If interested in running without the beads, I suggest an MP3 player with the Rosary being said.

For those in the car, they make CD’s for this, though of course there is nothing wrong with doing it from memory.

I like to say it with someone sometimes, even if that someone is a recording.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.