Rural kids, parents angry about Labor Dept. rule banning farm chores

More evidence of just how out of touch Obama is with most of America. I spent my summer vacations and days off from school helping my step-dad who was a hog buyer at the sale barn.

dailycaller.com/2012/04/25/rural-kids-parents-angry-about-labor-dept-rule-banning-farm-chores/#ixzz1t4RM6pkI

A proposal from the Obama administration to prevent children from doing farm chores has drawn plenty of criticism from rural-district members of Congress. But now it’s attracting barbs from farm kids themselves.

The Department of Labor is poised to put the finishing touches on a rule that would apply child-labor laws to children working on family farms, prohibiting them from performing a list of jobs on their own families’ land.

Under the rules, children under 18 could no longer work “in the storing, marketing and transporting of farm product raw materials.”

“Prohibited places of employment,” a Department press release read, “would include country grain elevators, grain bins, silos, feed lots, stockyards, livestock exchanges and livestock auctions.”

The new regulations, first proposed August 31 by Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, would also revoke the government’s approval of safety training and certification taught by independent groups like 4-H and FFA, replacing them instead with a 90-hour federal government training course.

Another case of Bureaucracy Gone Wild.

Sounds great.

If you support corporate farms and have a deep seeded hatred for families.

Daily Caller = FOX = Fake Outrage of the day designed by the right wing of the Republican Party. Next.

Actually, I recall reading an article on this subject earlier this year in the Des Moines Register which leans far, far to the left and even posted a link to it on my Facebook wall, I’ll see if I can find it.

I see you write this often, and it is a little tired. Maybe next time instead of employing your usual one liner - you might actually take the time to debunk the issue at hand. Everytime I read this I imagine a kid with his fingers in his ears.

Again, Jerry, have any substantive criticism? Your unsubstantiated assertions are ridiculous.

What part of of this article is “fake”?

Is it true or false that “children under 18” may not work “in the storing, marketing and transporting of farm product raw materials.”?

Is it true or false that the Labor department is propsign to “revoke the government’s approval of safety training and certification taught by independent groups like 4-H and FFA”?

You’re continued ad hominems are tiresome.

You shouldn’t say that as you are confirming what this says as well:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=668584

So since Fox news reported that Mitt Romney won Pennsylvania, I can dismiss that as propaganda of the Republican Party?

This will “criminalize” many a farm family, because they’re not going to obey it. If they finalize this, I suppose they will drag a farmer and/or his wife off to the pokey “pour encourager les autres” while the small children cry in the yard and the plucky 12-year-old who loves his parents wields a pitchfork to defend them.

I recall something Solzhenitsyn said about the excesses of the Bolshevik regime. I’ll have to paraphrase. It went like this: “The state should not be so excessively fierce that it drives its citizens to deceptiveness.”

Who was it Bishop Jenky compared these despots in Washington to?

If a child is working on his/her parent’s farm, they are exempt from the law.

dol.gov/opa/media/press/whd/WHD20111250.htm

The proposed regulations would not apply to children working on farms owned by their parents.

Department Regulations Would Impact Young Farm WorkersProposed Labor - WKU Public Radio

You know your schtick here is getting pretty old. Typical leftist junk. Offers no hard data or other evidence.

True, but most farm ground is rented. Last summer, my best friend who farms, but who had at the time, lived in town had his kids 4-H projects on his parents farm, under the new rules, this would be banned.

It’s reported different ways in different places. Maybe, like Obamacare, they will have to “pass it in order to know what’s in it.”

But no matter what, it would definitely end what I see at least monthly. High school boys working in an Ag store, to earn money, feed their own livestock and “bulk up” for sports. I’m always grateful to them for hauling salt blocks or feed sacks to my pickup for me.

And it would bar the high school kids who work in the country stockyards too. They wouldn’t even be able to herd sheep or goats into the ring. That’s one way those farm kids earn the money to buy livestock for themselves when they see something really good going for a low price.

If you think that the government is not in bed with corporate farming, just look up the incestuous relationship between Monsanto and the FDA.

If this junk becomes law, I wonder what it means to the future of livestock shows at county & state fairs? From inerperting the rules, it would mean the end of the county fair :frowning:

You may notice that my link is from the Department of Labor. Of course it isn’t a copy of the law, but is also isn’t something a reporter reported.

First make all farms corporate, then nationalize them! It is in the playbook. :smiley:

Please lets not him derail still another thread with his tiresome Fox News is evil rants

I was raised on a farm in the 1950s & 1960s >> Wonder if my father and grandfather would be in trouble with the Feds if today this were to happen?[LIST=1]
*]Age 9 I drove grandfather’s tractor, because I was too weak to toss a bail of hay.
*]Age 10 … Now a year older and stronger… Tossed 25 to 50 lbs bails of hay on and off the hay wagon… Loaded the barn with hay.
*]Age 11… Shoveled cow manure and cleaned the barn.
*]Age 12… Did all farm chores… Feed cows and bulls… Plowed fields… Mowed hay… Raked hay… (Didn’t bail hay >> paid the neighbor because he owned a bailing machine) …
*]Age 12… Helped build a barn… Painted fence.
*]Age 13 thru 18 more of the same… Only at 16 I obtained a drivers license and drive the grain to Southern States for sale and making feed for the cows.
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.