Rush Limbaugh apologizes to Ms. Fluke

washingtonpost.com/politics/rush-limbaugh-apologizes-to-law-student-for-insult-104/2012/03/04/gIQADIWeqR_video.html

Six advertisers pulled their ads and others were in the process of doing so. I had heard that there was a demand for the major advertisers to withdraw.

My choice of words was not the best, and in the attempt to be humorous, I created a national stir," conservative radio commentator Rush Limbaugh said Saturday on his website. "I sincerely apologize to Ms. Fluke for the insulting word choices."
heraldtribune.com/article/20120304/WIRE/120309831?p=1&tc=pg

This wasn’t an apology.

Calling a woman a slut and then saying it wasn’t meant personally is just plain unbelievable.

[quote="PaulinVA, post:2, topic:275990"]
This wasn't an apology.

Calling a woman a slut and then saying it wasn't meant personally is just plain unbelievable.

[/quote]

This is what he said: "I sincerely apologize to Ms. Fluke for the insulting word choices."

How is that NOT an apology? He said he was sorry for his insulting word choices.

He didn't apologize TO her, he apologized AT her... and he didn't do a very good job of it. I was very glad to see some of his major advertisers finally wake up and smell what it was they were supporting. I hope they don't return.

He apologized - end of story.

Would you feel the same if this had been a single male student seeking monetary help with condoms or emergency contraception?

Georgetown is a catholic university and she comes across as representing catholic women when she says "my university"

"her prescription in technically covered by Georgetown insurance because it is not intended to prevent pregnancy unfortunately under many religious institution insurance plans it wouldn't be.........when you let university administrators or other employers other than women and their doctors dictate their need or whose needs are legitimate or not, a women's health takes a back seat to a bureaucracy focused on policing her body.

Huh?

Move over Margaret Sanger, Ms. Fluke is "a reproductive rights advocate".

God bless Rush! Unborn babies & 1st amendment lovers have a friend in Rush.

However you feel about the HHS mandate aside what Rush said was terrible and uncalled for. Calling her a prostitute, saying that she wasn't good for anything but sex, and suggesting that she should have to post sex tapes online was so extreme. It hurt not only him but his cause. Then again, what can be expected of a man who refers to Obama as an 'oreo', calls the first lady fat, and says that only ugly women care about sexual harassment because they're jealous that they don't get that kind of attention, but the pretty ones think its a compliment? He's a drug addicted hypocrite who has never had any respect for women.

He is a terrible person through and through. I only hope that someday he learns respect and compassion.

Good that he apologized - this took away attention from the main issue - that the HHS mandate is infringing on religious liberty and needs to be revoked.

[quote="BlueEyedLady, post:7, topic:275990"]
However you feel about the HHS mandate aside what Rush said was terrible and uncalled for. Calling her a prostitute, saying that she wasn't good for anything but sex, and suggesting that she should have to post sex tapes online was so extreme. It hurt not only him but his cause. Then again, what can be expected of a man who refers to Obama as an 'oreo', calls the first lady fat, and says that only ugly women care about sexual harassment because they're jealous that they don't get that kind of attention, but the pretty ones think its a compliment? He's a drug addicted hypocrite who has never had any respect for women.

He is a terrible person through and through. I only hope that someday he learns respect and compassion.

[/quote]

Rush may say some things that are just rude and abrassive (and sometimes outright racist), but he does not have the legal power or authority to directly change any person's real life. He has an entertainment radio show, nothing more. He cannot pass laws, he cannot veto anything, he cannot create something like the HHS mandate, he cannot send people into war, he cannot DO anything but talk--and when a person talks as much as RL does, they will at times say things that are plain messed-up.

He apologized. Are you now ready to do the same?

[quote="PaulinVA, post:2, topic:275990"]
This wasn't an apology.

Calling a woman a slut and then saying it wasn't meant personally is just plain unbelievable.

[/quote]

" I sincerely apologize to Ms. Fluke for the insulting word choices."

:shrug:

Taken from thread "Sandra Fluke Issues Statement On Limbaugh's Comments And Public Support"

Originally posted by bellasbane
Ms. Fluke responded to this with the following statement:

"I thank the thousands of women and men, including members of Congress, Georgetown University students and faculty, and total strangers of all political stripes across the country who have offered kind words and support following recent egregious personal attacks.

"We are fortunate to live in a democracy where everyone is entitled to their own opinions regarding legitimate policy differences. Unfortunately, numerous commentators have gone far beyond the acceptable bounds of civil discourse.

"No woman deserves to be disrespected in this manner. This language is an attack on all women, and has been used throughout history to silence our voices.

"The millions of American women who have and will continue to speak out in support of women's health care and access to contraception prove that we will not be silenced."

mediaite.com/tv/georgetow...e-by-limbaugh/

Her responses were also in the media. He has apologized and this should end it but why do I feel this will be in the media for months ahead.

I hope this "apology" will be perceived as too little too late and the social media campaign urging people to boycott his sponsors will continue against him.

It is about time he paid the price for all the slander he's dished out over the years.

[quote="gam197, post:11, topic:275990"]
Her response will also in the media. He has apologized and this should end it but why do I feel this will be in the media for months ahead.

[/quote]

Of course it will. Obama and the media Left want to take the discussion away from the administration's assault on religious freedom and try to frame it as a Republican attack on women.

Let me get this straight. We have a female bragging that she has immoral sex, a lot of immoral sex and then whining that she want us to relieve her of financial burden to have immoral sex, and you people only have a problem with Rush calling her a slut? John Paul ll is correct when he said the greatest evil to fall on us is the confusion of right and wrong.

[quote="bellasbane, post:12, topic:275990"]
I hope this "apology" will be perceived as too little too late and the social media campaign urging people to boycott his sponsors will continue against him.

It is about time he paid the price for all the slander he's dished out over the years.

[/quote]

"Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us."

Also, let's not forget all the slander your heros in the left dish out to the innocent.

In other words, “I sincerely apologize to Ms. Fluke for using the word ‘slut’ when I called her a slut.”

originally** posted by rig94086**
Of course it will. Obama and the media Left want to take the discussion away from the administration's assault on religious freedom and try to frame it as a Republican attack on women.

Did you see the thread on Father Malette's homily? Every catholic should hear this - how the government also dictates and affects our social services.

youtube.com/watch?v=ltTd81XpDnc

Look, I get it. There is absolutely nothing Rush Limbaugh could say to make an acceptable apology to those who hate him.

For me, I thought he was over the top…again. He has apologized.

[quote="K-McD, post:15, topic:275990"]
"Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us."

Also, let's not forget all the slander your heros in the left dish out to the innocent.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

[quote="BlueEyedLady, post:7, topic:275990"]

[/quote]

Respectfully, since you describe yourself as an atheist, may I ask you a question? How is Bill Maher, the atheist demagogue, exempt from this sort of outrage, when he spews far worse venom upon the Roman Catholic Church on a weekly basis? Where is the indignation directed against him? Is it really a matter of "what is said", or is it more about from whch side of the Culture-War chasm the offensive diatribe emanates?

Rush was way out of line in this instance, and were I that girl's father, I would want to have a meeting with him and recieve his retraction face-to-face. However, you use the word hypocrite in you description of Limbaugh, yet I wonder if that word doesn't more aptly describe the "selective outrage syndrome" which seems to be running rampant in our society.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.