Russia Bans Swear Words in Art, Films

naharnet.com/stories/en/137071-russia-bans-swear-words-in-art-films.

I think this is great ! Back in the 30's, 40's tough guy actors like James Cagney could threaten peoples lives without calling them blankety blanking blanks.

Thanks be to God.

Ed

I thought in Russian language, swearing is an art form. :wink:

Almost all imported American movies will now be billed as short films in Russia.

“Come watch the two minute short American film: Pulp Fiction!”

Having seen it myself, two minutes sounds about right; not including credits, of course.

Ed

Why is it OK to watch people threatening lives but not OK to watch people say naughty words? Why is the latter worse than the former? In* real* life, if it were actually happening, I would much prefer to listen to naughty words than death threats. So, I’m curious why the rules are reversed here.

I don’t think one is inherently worse than the other…

But hearing someone threaten doesn’t “propagate” that threat, whereas hearing/listening to profanity makes one more likely to repeat those words.

Well at least they’ll be able to take most of their children to the mainstream movies I guess. :slight_smile:

They sure had their priorities straight back then.

Yes they did. And back in the 30’s when a man and woman married in the movies and had children, we didn’t have to practically see them having sex on screen first.

For the same reason that Sacred Scripture contains some highly violent content, but omits providing us a direct narrative of colorful language: in one instance you are showing an event unfold - both the good and the bad - in the other instance you are passively promoting the use of something. The use of vulgar expletives in movies promotes their use in real life as well. Monkey see, monkey do. On the other hand, a war scene from Ben Hur or the violence in the Passion of the Christ don’t passively encourage people to get into a sword fight or crucify somebody.

That isn’t to say that certain violence in movies isn’t bad for the hearts & minds of the audience, but it’s not consistently true and much of it depends on the unique context.

How will they show it on television when the commercials are longer than the movie? They will have to use infomercials to fill all the extra time, and everyone in Russia will soon own a Pocket Fisherman, a couple of Snuggies, and a George Foreman Grill.

CONVERSION OF RUSSIA AND THE USA

From the revised edition of “Padre Pio, the True Story” by C. Bernard Ruffin: p. 264. Padre Pio said “The Russian people will be converted. Their conversion will happen very fast. The conversion of the United States will be slow, but sure.”

Ibid. p. 266. Padre Pio said “Yes, Russia will be converted, as the Blessed Virgin said she would. However, Russia will teach the United States a lesson in conversion.”

Thanks and praise be to God!

In many cases, that might be possible.

Ed

The Church has spoken quite clearly on the matter:

vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xi/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-xi_enc_29061936_vigilanti-cura_en.html

As a professional editor with contacts in Hollywood, the evidence is that in 98% of the cases, Hollywood is hostile to the principles outlined above. And it’s getting worse.

Peace,
Ed

Or get a DVR.

Ed

I thought you guys were all about limiting big government? This is the epitome of government interfering with the people.

Vladimir Putin and Patriarch Kirill are working together to reform Russia.

Ed

Available: Georgi Formanski grill, 20 rubles :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.