Russia is harassing U.S. diplomats all over Europe

The unintended consequences of “smart diplomacy”.

washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/russia-is-harassing-us-diplomats-all-over-europe/2016/06/26/968d1a5a-3bdf-11e6-84e8-1580c7db5275_story.html

One gets the feeling that Russia is about to move some more in Ukraine.

Perfect timing since Europe (and by extension the West as a whole) is distracted by and in disarray over Brexit.

This is probably part of it. I’d keep an eye on the Baltics. The UK and Germany are critical components of NATO and the last thing they’re thinking about right now is the defense of the Baltics.

I have to say that Vladimir Putin is the most dangerous man Europe has seen - and the biggest threat to world peace - since Stalin. He might say he doesn’t want a new Cold War, but he’s acting like he’s trying to start World War III.

I wonder if everyday Russians think this man is as dangerous as he really is? An actual war with the West would have devastating consequences for the whole world, but I think in the end that Russia and her people would bear the brunt of it…

“The administration continues to pursue a false narrative that Russia can be our partner. They clearly don’t want to be our partner, they’ve identified us as an adversary, and we need to prepare for that type of relationship.”

Well, I guess when someone breaks into your home to poop on your carpet, that is a clue that they don’t want to be your friend any more.

You can push that reset button all you want, but they still don’t like you.

Obama has a really hard time understanding how it is that someone is unable to like him.

Wake up and smell the poop, Barry.

Newsflash, Russia is not ‘in’ Ukraine.

A few commenters’ responses:

*I]JJORourke
2:31 PM GMT
Putin has as much control over his countrymen as Cameron had over the vast majority of his English countrymen.
If NATO, which is controlled by the State Dept and the US military industrial complex, continues to surround Russia with missiles and arm the corrupt right wing elements of Ukraine, then we can expect the Russian people to react negatively toward us. It’s not rocket science.

r wing
11:35 AM GMT

This whole article is a work of fiction. Intelligent viewers see immediately that this is just another attempt by the Obama administration and it’s media allies to discredit Russia. Crapping on a carpet is beyond ludicrous and reported just to add a sense of the despicable to the article. Perhaps this fictitious account appeals to the Democrat readers, but to others it is just another attempted distortion of the facts. Ridiculous!
LikeReplyShare

Christene Bartels
11:20 AM GMT

What a moronic fluff piece. Newsflash:
The U.S. Corporate propaganda machine’s (a.k.a. The MSM) anti-Russia hysteria driven narrative is falling to pieces on every front. So let’s give it a rest. The gig is up.

"It is not the aim of NATO to create a military barrier against broad-scale Russian aggression, because such aggression is not on the agenda and no intelligence assessment suggests such a thing,”
~ Gen. Petr Pavel
chairman of NATO’s military committee

“What we shouldn’t do now is to inflame the situation by loud saber-rattling and shrill war cries,” Steinmeier told Bild newspaper in an interview to be published on Sunday.
“Whoever believes that symbolic tank parades on the alliance’s eastern border will bring more security is mistaken,” Steinmeier said. “We are well-advised not to create pretexts to renew an old confrontation.”
~ Frank Walter Steinmeier
German Foreign Minister

As Mark Twain so eloquently put it; "The statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception,”

Summarizes things up nicely, don’t you think?
LikeReplyShare5

It’s hard to say what Russians think. The media over there is almost entirely state-controlled, and Putin has heavily leaned on 19th and 20th century ideas of Russia as an island beset by enemies. His propaganda machine uses Christianity as a tool to reinforce this and say that the world hates them because of their religion, which serves not only to galvanize the Russian people, but also gain sympathy from Christians around the world, as you can see in every Russia thread here on CAF where someone has swallowed the Kremlin’s propaganda hook, line, and sinker.

That said, I think a lot of Russians support Putin because they are afraid of the unknown. The Russian political system has never been tested. The first President they ever had in history was only a couple decades ago, and there has still never been a transfer of power from one side to another. Nobody wants to see what would happen if Putin loses an election, so many of the dissatisfied Russians just vote for the status quo. Power transfers in Russian history have never been pretty.

As far as war is concerned, I think Putin overestimates his military capability severely, or he’s deliberately bluffing. Russia has always been terrible at logistics, going all the way back hundreds of years. They’re a regional power at best, maybe on the level of India. Economically, they can barely support their hybrid war in Ukraine, much less another one against a superior force, such as NATO.

I note Erdogan has seen sense at last - now that his new bessy mates seem to have disappeared. :wink:

rt.com/news/348665-putin-erdogan-phone-conversation/

*On Monday, Erdogan sent a letter to President Putin to offer his apologies for the death of a Russian pilot who was killed when his jet was downed over the Syrian-Turkish border. “The head of the Turkish state expressed his deep sympathy and condolences to the relatives of the deceased Russian pilot and said ‘sorry,’” Peskov said.

Russian-Turkish ties have seen a dramatic decline since last November when a Russian Su-24M bomber was shot down by a Turkish F16. A pilot died when shot while parachuting to the ground and a marine was killed in action during a rescue mission to save the surviving co-pilo*t.

Excellent post. I think you are right on the money on all counts.

Me too, but there is so much to fact check as to the OP I don’t know the depth of fact or fiction with the reporting. I think its true to an extent but overestimated imho

Believe me Russians are in no mood to listen this late in the day apology which is been made of the back of the fact that tourist revenue has plunged by 45 percent this year in Turkey so far.

Putin is regularly satirized in Russian media and believe me they are not always very polite about it either. I’ve lived there and opinions about Putin are varied as you might expect, my wife supports him, her mother supports him but reservations as she is an old school communist. My brother-in-law is so-so about him and likes some of his policies and dislikes others. I’ve criticized some of his political decisions and no-one arrested me, beat me up or chucked me out. There are certain taboo subjects for foreigners in Russia (as there are for foreigners living in any country), never, ever criticize or insult the memory of those who died in WW2 for example. Do not ever insult the country itself, Russians do that all the time but DO NOT like outsiders doing it. that last one is a general rule everywhere it must be said though.

I suspect the FSB probably were watching the US embassy staff, just as the equivalent agencies watch the Russian embassy staff in London and Washington and elsewhere.

Yes, I had read that was most likely the reason for the apology - the massive economic loss due to tourism decline.

You reap what you sow…

Yes and the Russians view it as an insincere apology and want nothing to do with it. I assure you the situation is likely to persist for years , if Erdogan departs and new leadership arrives it may improve then but after tonights horrible events in Istanbul the situation regarding tourism in Tukey is likely to get even worse. I could imagine many British people thinking twice about going there now after the ongoing spate of attacks. Some areas of Turkey subsist largely on tourism and I feel for the average person in those areas who will have families to support but relationships between Turkey and Russia are unlikely to warm up any time soon.

Understandably, so.

It doesn’t surprise me. I can imagine other governments and groups play similar harassment games.

I can imagine a lot of things too.

Russia is going against the liberal US in order to control Europe.

There are no white hats or black hats here Joseph, each side is wearing a grey hat and suit.At times America’s is a slightly lighter grey, at times Russia’s is. It’s simply a continuation of the ‘Great Game’.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.