Russia launches civil defense drills amid tensions with US

MOSCOW (AP) — The Russian Emergencies Ministry has launched a sweeping nationwide civil defense drill set to involve 40 million people.

Emergencies Minister Vladimir Puchkov said the four-day exercise launched Wednesday will help “raise government efficiency while dealing with the consequences of large-scale emergencies.” Puchkov said his ministry can ensure “uninterrupted transport, energy supplies and communications” . . .

The nation’s Cold War-era civil protection system that included a sprawling network of shelters in every city was dismantled after the collapse of the Soviet Union, but the Emergencies Ministry has worked to restore some of its elements.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/russia-launches-civil-defense-drills-amid-tensions-us-160727624.html

Red, Blue, and White October.

I think this story is a couple of weeks old. I was surprised it wasn’t posted then.

I guess Putin is just trying to ramp up more nationalistic support. Even with the US first strike policy, I am sure Putin knows it isn’t going to happen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.