Russia might declare Orthodoxy the state religion

Is this something that, under the right conditions, lead to the Reign of Christ the King?

rt.com/politics/russian-orthodox-constitution-religion-150/

Center left MP Yelena Mizulina, known for her pro-life stance and conflicts with leaders of the LGBT community, has suggested amending the constitution emphasizing the exclusive role of the Russian Orthodox Church.

Mizulina said at the Friday session of the parliamentary group for the protection of Christian values, that the Russian constitution should include a preamble saying that “Orthodox Christianity is the basis of national and cultural originality of Russia”.

The move gained support from other participants in the session who represented the majority caucus of United Russia and the Communist Party caucus.

Currently the Constitution describes Russia as a secular state and protects freedom of conscience. Four religions – Christianity, Islam, Judaism and Buddhism are sometimes called ‘traditional’ in the mass media and politicians’ statements, but there is no legal basis for that.

In 2012 nationalist lawmaker Sergey Baburin also suggested mentioning Christianity in Russia’s constitution. Baburin said the country could follow Georgia’s example and underline the Church’s role in the nation’s history while still protecting the equality and freedom of all beliefs. Back then, the move failed to gain sufficient support.

According to a poll conducted by the Levada research center in late October this year, over 70 percent of Russian Federation citizens consider themselves Orthodox Christians. 44 percent of respondents hold the Russian Orthodox faith as the official religion of the country. 56 percent agreed that the Russian Orthodox Church played a major role in Russian history.

Yelena Mizulina represents the moderate leftist party Fair Russia and chairs the Lower House’s Committee for Family Women and Children. Earlier this year the committee developed a concept of the national family policy that stressed the role of a traditional ‘nuclear family’ and suggested strengthening it by supporting traditional religions.

The concept caused heated discussions and some celebrities and gay rights activists started posting obscenities about Mizulina on their social network pages and various blogs. In July this year Russia’s Investigative Committee – a federal agency for investigating high-profile crimes – reported that they started a criminal inquiry “into insulting a representative of a state authority” but did not mention the names of any suspects.

In November speech, Mizulina lashed out at surrogacy saying that the practice, along with abortion, would eventually lead to humanity’s extinction. Earlier this year she also suggested making ‘morning after’ pills a prescription drug.

Russia under Putin has shed all pretense of being a constitutional democracy which respects the rule of law and individual rights, and religious tolerance in Russia is pretty poor anyway (state harassment of Catholics and Protestants is very common, and it’s very difficult for Catholic priests to get a visa to work in Russia) so this move is not surprising.

Agreed. Ms. Mizulina’s views are good, and I wish more politicians would speak out in that way, but it’s Putin who holds the strings. :rolleyes:

I’m fine with it as long as he is friendly with Catholics. Eastern Orthodox isn’t the Catholic Church, but it isn’t evil either. Remember that they have legitimate apostolic succession that is recognized by our own Catholic Church. EO is the next best thing to being in full communion with Rome. This is no where near any reason to accuse Putin of having evil motives. If he starts burning down Catholic churches then we would have something to protest. But until then I’ve only heard people questioning his motives based on imaginations that he is somehow an evil man when only God can see into his heart and mind. I think that the ones who are so mistrustful of Putin forget that America and Russia are not what they were in the past. Both countries have undergone radical changes.

If this happens will people in Russia (Catholics, Protestants, and non-Christians) still have the freedom to practice their non-Russian Orthodox faith, build churches, etc.?

Pax Christi!

As I understand it, it’s already difficult to build/operate non-O churches in Russia, but not impossible. Given that the official state religion of the U.S.S.R. was ‘atheism’, hey, I’ll take this gladly!

God bless.

:thumbsup:

I agree with you, in the political and social climate we’re in, we haven’t seen this from any world leader. This being a leader of a large influential nation stepping up to bat for Christianity, and Christian values as it applies to society. Certainly we’ve seen a few leaders put Islam first, but Christianity, this is unique.

I’ve been reading and watching some material about Mr Putin the past few days. He spoke about his Orthodox faith. Lets face it, many politicians will say they’re Christian, but nothing in their political actions or ideology is remotely Christian, it’s often anti-Christian. My opinion is he’s being guided by his faith. Yes his political saavy helps, but I think his devotion to his faith is genuine. He at least has the guts to stand up for it.
Mr Putin’s actions are very contrary to what secular Western leaders are doing. Saying your faith is guiding your policy is taboo in our culture, that’s just a fact. Even if you do mention it, it’s political suicide.

As long as an Orthodox leader has respect for our Catholic faith, I’m ok with it. Can’t be worse than how this administration has mocked Christians, especially Catholics. I highly doubt we’d clash on social issues with the EO. I have a very high regard and respect for the EO Church anyways. Who knows, a great EO nation and possibly a unification of two great faiths. It’d be a game changer. Ok that’s way too wishful, but an Orthodox state religion, doesn’t scare me one bit, as long as what the Russians want, more power to them. He’s certainly right about the positions he’s taking with the Syrian civil war, he’s firm, decisions are clear and sound. Just from what I’ve been learning about Mr Putin, I can see why he’s popular in his part of the world.

Pax Christi!

As I understand it, it’s already difficult to build/operate non-O churches in Russia, but not impossible. Given that the official state religion of the U.S.S.R. was ‘atheism’, hey, I’ll take this gladly!

God bless.

This goes on to show how low western cultures have sunk morally.

For me personally it was a blessing. It brought me back to the Church. I looked at the world around me. I heard good people, friends constantly talking about politics, and i heard this tone of cynicism and negativity. Yet at the same time, most of them lost faith if not rejected God altogether. I was dangerously approaching that path, but somehow faith restored order and faith directed me to reason as well.

I could not reconcile how you can lay blame on God for causing societies woes. When none of societies leaders openly admit God is guiding their policies and actions. This uniformity and political correctness that our secular society almost mandates to me is not freedom. Christian rights are a paradox in our society these days. A society that believes being guided by Christ in all parts of your life is nothing more than ideology.

Russia and many East European nations endured something we haven’t. Communism’s wrath. And that wrath I imagine was even worse if you were a Christian. Perhaps we have to hit the skids before faith and a real reawakening happens. In that regards, perhaps Russia is a few years ahead.

Pax Christi!

Putin has recently met with the Pope, presented a gift of an icon, crossed himself and kissed the icon.

YEEE-HAAARRR!!!

God bless!!

closed #13

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.