Russia Seeks Several Military Bases Abroad – Defense Minister

Shoigu said the list includes Vietnam, Cuba, Venezuela, Nicaragua, the Seychelles, Singapore and several other countries.en.ria.ru/military_news/20140226/187917901/Russia-Seeks-Several-Military-Bases-Abroad–Defense-Minister.html

Sad to see another apparent arms race beginning, but I cannot blame the Russians for this in light of the continued expansion of NATO.

Gee! Surprised they haven’t asked our fearless leader to put one here.

He would likely would have sayed ‘where do you want it put?’. ;):rolleyes:

Please don’t give his gang any ideas - that’ll be next! :eek:

Buck up Seamus - don’t be :bighanky:. If your BFF begins another arms race, you will be happy again.:wink:

They won’t be the first.

Russia need bases all around the world to counter the threat from America.

I’m glad the world can rely on the Russians although I feel whenever two nations are against each other something else is happening that is being ignored, it is Satan’s way.

However, Russia has started reviving its navy and strategic aviation since mid-2000s, seeing them as a tool to project the Russian image abroad and to protect its national interests around the globe.

Now, Moscow needs to place such military assets in strategically important regions of the world to make them work effectively toward the goal of expanding Russia’s global influence.

Seems like a smart move. I’m surprised the Chinese have not done moved toward establishing foreign military bases.

Not a good sign. Russia may have done some good things lately, but these bases are still a real threat to US power.

And expanding NATO doesn’t make Russia feel threatened ? It seemed like the Cold War ended when the Soviet Union collapsed and withdrew troops from all Warsaw Pact bases. But instead, America sent Russia the message that “you’re still the bad guys and you always will be”.

List of countries with overseas military bases

The list condensed, which counts not individual bases, but countries or territories where each nation has foreign bases:

1 - India - (Tajikistan)
1 - Japan - (Djibouti)
1 - Turkey - (Cyprus)
8 - United Kingdom - not including British Overseas Territories
10 - Russia - using the expanded list in separate article
11 - France - not including French overseas territories
29 - United States - an underestimate, but I was too lazy to dig through the separate article

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.