Russia ‘Seriously Concerned’ as Fighting Picks Up in Ukraine

The Russian government is “seriously concerned” by an uptick in fighting in Ukraine’s easternmost regions, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.

The latest violence breaches the peace accords signed in Minsk, Belarus, which are already in a dire state, Lavrov said Monday at a news conference in the Azeri capital, Baku. The situation in the area known as Donbas has worsened dramatically in recent weeks, the U.S. Ambassador to the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe Daniel Baer said during a July 29 conference call.

Diplomatic efforts have failed to halt a simmering conflict between the Ukrainian government and Russia-backed separatists, which has killed at least 9,500 people since 2014, according to United Nations estimates. The Ukrainian military reports daily cease-fire violations and said July was its deadliest month since August 2015.

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-08/russia-seriously-concerned-as-fighting-picks-up-in-ukraine

:hmmm:

Sounds to me like the preliminary to taking more of Ukraine.

I am inclined to agree with you. I believe that Vladimir Putin is a scary individual. He had already gone on record to say that the disintegration of the Soviet Union and the loss of Communist Eastern Europe was a great tragedy. There can be no denying that Putin’s militaristic ambitions include keeping the Ukraine within Russia’s sphere of influence. President Obama has sent mixed signals to Putin and that is unfortunate for with the current administration I don’t believe there is any deterrence to Russia intervening in the Ukraine militarily. We need to pray for the people of the Ukraine!

Possibly - but after he actually takes some of Ukraine in the first place.

Yes, and Hitler didn’t take Austria or the Sudentenland either. There are probably still people who say he didn’t.

Crimea was an autonomous republic, is now a republic that was part of Russia for 200 years and wanted back to Russia for years, after '91.

Their wish was granted via a referendum undertaken whilst an anti-Russian ‘coup’ government was in power. :wink:

I concede your point on Crimea. My issue with Vladimer Putin is that he is not going to stop with Crimea. He has an expansionist mentality believing that Russia should never has lost influence or control over Eastern Europe. I believe that Russia would like to divide the Ukraine with the Eastern half of the Ukraine remaining a part of Russia and the Western half of Ukraine being independent.

There’s a good possibility he’ll leave part of Ukraine unconquered. The farther west in Ukraine one gets, the stronger is the opposition to Russian conquest. And if he cuts enough of it off and absorbs it, Ukraine will be a very weak state, incapable of resisting Russian domination even if it’s nominally independent. Putin has already taken the most industrialized part of Ukraine and the seaports of real consequence.

I really don’t think Putin will invade Poland. They’ll resist even if they only have pitchforks to do it with. He’s getting a lot of resistance from Ukrainians. It will be a lot worse in Poland for him, particularly if the craven west provides the Poles with sufficient arms.

I completely agree with you. I believe he wants to take the eastern half of the Ukraine. That is so wrong. Ukraine should be a whole nation and not half a nation. It is because of what happened with Poland that he is so adamant that the Ukraine not be independent and certainly not a part of NATO. He does not want Ukraine to go the way of Poland and to then have NATO on his border.

When it comes to Poland I agree with you completely. He is making a lot of noise but he is not going to be able to intervene in Poland and it will not only be because on NATO. It will be very nature of the Polish people to fight for their independence.

Unfortunately on the Ukraine it is different. President Obama set a red line in the Syrian Conflict. He indicated that if Bashir Al Assad used chemical weapons then the U.S. would get involved. Bashir Al Assad used chemical weapons and we did nothing. Putin will be able to do as he pleases with the Ukraine and President Obama will do nothing!

It appears the world may be headed for war. May Jesus Christ and His Heavenly Father help us! Holy Mother Mary pray for us!

Putin’s warning: Full Speech 2016

youtube.com/watch?v=kqD8lIdIMRo

Putin Declares War if Hillary Clinton Wins

youtube.com/watch?v=I4ythLYtbEs

I wonder who’ll start the war. :hmmm:

youtube.com/watch?v=OJ3fTFHQ0KA

theintercept.com/2016/08/09/ex-cia-chief-who-endorsed-clinton-calls-for-killing-iranians-and-russians-in-syria/

*FORMER ACTING CIA director Michael Morell said in an interview Monday that U.S. policy in Syria should be to make Iran and Russia “pay a price” by arming local groups and instructing them to kill Iranian and Russian personnel in the country.

Morell was appearing on the Charlie Rose show on PBS in the wake of his publicly endorsing Hillary Clinton on the New York Times opinion pages.

Morell said the killing of Russians and Iranians should be undertaken “covertly, so you don’t tell the world about it, you don’t stand up at the Pentagon and say ‘we did this.’ But you make sure they know it in Moscow and Teheran.”

Morell also proposed that U.S. forces begin bombing Syrian government installations, including government offices, aircraft and presidential guard positions. The former acting CIA director said that he wanted to “scare Assad” by doing such things as “going after his car.” Morell clarified that he wasn’t actually calling for Assad’s assassination.*

They should pay a price for what? Is the USA the world’s police force? To go into other countries and tell them they should pay the price is a bit overstepping their boundaries and authority, isn’t it?

All extremely bizarre. :shrug:

All too little and too late. A couple of years ago, Turkey offered to intervene against ISIS if the U.S. would declare a “no fly” zone over part of Syria so Assad’s air force wouldn’t bomb Turkish troops. Obama turned Turkey down, even though the Russians weren’t all over Syria then and weren’t acting like they would do anything about a joint U.S./Turk effort.

Since then, Russia saw that Obama would do nothing and intervened for Assad. And, of course, half the population of Syria fled and Turkey has turned against the U.S. Obama also left Iraq despite the please of Iraqis, and, predictably, Iraq has turned into a Sunni/Iran conflict just as many predicted.

Doing something like Morrell says would now be foolish, indeed.

Talk about scary and dangerous people who shouldn’t be in positions of power, and that’s Morell.

Yep. Time to “stabilize” the region (under Russian, or pro-Russian control of course).

It seems that this election-
“Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump”
for Ukraine is like - ‘‘Тo Вe or not Тo Вe’’
and in fact, i think in the Kremlin they are very afraid of Hillary Clinton as a politician

President Obama clearly stated that in the Syrian conflict it would be a Red Line if Bashar Al Assad used chemical weapons on his own people. That the United States would than get involved. President Bashar Al Assad did just that. When things were not going well for him he used chemical weapons on his own people and the Obama Administration did nothing. At this point and time if Vladimir Putin decides that now is the time to take eastern Ukraine he knows that the Obama Administration will make some noise but they will not be willing to support the Ukrainians. President Obama has been over compensating for the failed Bush Police in the Middle East and we are worse off for it.

America complaining about usage of chemical weapons is akin to a bank robber who has run of a million dollars accusing a shoplifter who has pinched a can of tuna a thief. I am deliberately been somewhat hyperbolic there but the USA has no solid ground to stand on when it condemns other for use of chemical weapons or similar methods of warfare.

I think the Russian government considers Hilary Clinton as someone who will try to cause a war with them. That may be why they are afraid of her. I do not think they want a war, but that they are prepared to fight. I think they believe the Americans are preparing for war. If you watch the Youtube videos I originally posted, Putin explains his position very clearly in the first video.

Here it is again

youtube.com/watch?v=kqD8lIdIMRo

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.