Russia warns US against strikes on Islamic State in Syria

Syria also repeated its warning that the US had to co-ordinate with the Syrian government before launching air strikes on its territory.
“Any action of any kind without the consent of the Syrian government would be an attack on Syria,” National Reconciliation Minister Ali Haidar said on Thursday bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-29154481

I totally agree with Russia again. The world should be greatful for American actions in this region when they've already provided aid that has gone to terrorist groups ? Not to mention that they have every intention of providing increased aid to the FSA.

There are a world of potential dangers ahead, even though I believe we do need to use military action against ISIS. As an unintended secondary effect, there will be unintended casualties. We need all the intellingence available to limit harming the innocent, even if it comes from people we do not support in other ways.

Our Commander-in-Chief is incapable of admitting mistakes; he simply evolves to support things he previously opposed. In the first Gulf Way, President Bush skillfully assembled a coalition to get the job done. At the present time I see President Obama trying, not yet successfully, to assemble a coalition to avoid personal blame. Big difference.

One should not be, but sometimes is, surprised by the gall Mr. Putin demonstrates. He “warns” the U.S. against attacking Syria while he attacks Ukraine.

But it must be said that in no way should the U.S. allow itself to become an ally of Iran or its surrogates like Assad. Iran has much better PR than does ISIS, but they’re brothers under the skin.

Iran and Syria had a bit to say also.

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCMQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.foxnews.com%2Fworld%2F2014%2F09%2F11%2Fsyria-opposition-welcomes-obama-speech-says-defeating-isis-assad-equally%2F&ei=wLcRVIqyGYaI8gHhlIBo&usg=AFQjCNG21giog_0jHz2L0a6giH0hEJfa6g

Russia as far as the US goes doesn’t have room to talk on international law imho.

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CCAQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fabcnews.go.com%2FInternational%2FwireStory%2Feu-agrees-introduce-sanctions-russia-25425359&ei=UbsRVOSjFqnE8AGD34DQDw&usg=AFQjCNE57YMPWWUoSLLSBdLiNh0vr-PyiQ

I think its normal for situations to change, he really does himself more harm than good by not admitting his own mistakes.

Russia has not attacked the Ukraine. Why do you lie?
Yes lets stay away from Assad and keep on funding IS

The EU and the Obama administration. Seem to have one major draw back. They both still think it is the 1980’s where people only know what their media lap dogs tell them.
For example. If it was just like the 1980’s. We wouldn’t have known about Obama’s funded terrorist were responsible for the chemical attack, that the Obama gang tried so desperately to blame on Assad. We would not know that it is highly likely the Kiev junta shot down flight MH-17. We would not know that Obama and Saudi funded, formed and trained ISIS. A off shot of the very same group that caused 9/11.Isn’t there something n the US constitution about not providing aid and comfort to the enemy? We would still think that the FSA are in the same league as the founding fathers of the USA. We would not know that Kiev is shelling villages killing innocent women and children.
The internet is Obama and The EU worst enemy. No wonder they are trying so hard to cripple it.

:thumbsup: The world through the latin_rite lens. I still think your OK though. :shrug:

I think that Obama is finally showing some true grit and committing himself to action against ISIS that carries the overwhelming support of most people living in the Western world.

Putin’s arrogance never fails to amaze me. While I think he had a fair enough point last time round concerning strikes (although his intentions were nefarious as usual), this time he should get out of Obama’s way. He has absolutely no right to take the moral high ground after his invasion and dismemberment of parts of Ukraine. Yes, he could command some integrity a year ago but not now, now he is beyond the pail for most civilized people.

Where was Putin’s Russia when Yazidis were cornered on a mountain waiting to be massacred? Where is he now helping the Christians of Iraq? What has he ever done for them except talk big?

When it comes down to it, despite its many faults and egregious errors in the past, the USA is still the policeman of the world whilst Russia helps no one but itself, or rather should I say Putin and his FSB cronies.

“Media lap dogs”? Now there is a Russian cold war phrase for sure. That brings back memories. But so does Putin’s latest actions.

Well he does have NATO Chomping at the bit looking to attack his country, so he might be a bit preoccupied with that.
But he has been supplying Iraq with fighter jets and attack helicopters. While the Fighter jets Obama promised them years ago are still sitting on some runway back in the U.S.
While Obama was busy Forming training and funding IS and the FSA. Putin was stopping the U.S acting as the FSA air force.
What Obama is doing against the IS now does not deserve a round of applause. Because all he is doing is cleaning up the milk he spilled
The U.S is not acting as the worlds policeman. It is acting as a bully. Trying to recapture the glory days when the country was run by smarter men.

That was to be expected from Russia, as they support Assad.

However what about the 1/2 billion dollars the US is going to give to fund the Syrian rebels with. Are the rebels not being ‘commissioned’ to knock out ISIS (or most likely Assad), on the ground, with those funds? If that is the case, why are airstrikes required.

They touched it on it this morning on the news, the Assads long nurtured terrorism, for all we know, they nurtured ISIS and there is a bit of it now backfiring on them. This is how these sectarian wars can go. They used the term “Jihadi” wonderland.

Here is an interesting analysis of Al Nusra who is fighting among the Jihadis in Syria:

Al Qaeda’s affiliate in Syria, Jabhat al-Nusra, is generally acknowledged to be the most effective force fighting al-Assad.

Its fighters are willing to sacrifice themselves for the cause, are widely viewed as uncorrupt and are not involved in looting as other opposition forces are. A number of them are battle-hardened from other conflicts such as the Iraq War.

Al Qaeda’s Syrian affiliate is also well supplied as it benefits from the support of Sunni ultra-fundamentalists in the wealthy Gulf states such as Qatar and Saudi Arabia.

Jabhat al-Nusra, which means the “Victory Front,” was listed as a foreign terrorist organization by the U.S. State Department in December and is essentially a splinter organization of al Qaeda in Iraq.

Al-Nusra’s military prowess and close ties to al Qaeda make it a potentially serious threat to U.S. interests in the region, and the group has shown it has the ability to conduct massive suicide bombings.

In November, al-Nusra claimed responsibility for 45 attacks in the provinces of Damascus, Deraa, Hama and Homs that killed dozens of people, including one suicide bomb that reportedly resulted in 60 casualties.

edition.cnn.com/2013/08/29/opinion/bergen-al-qaeda-power-syria/index.html

So perhaps they are at loggerheads with the FSA and ISIS.

So do we have basically at least 4 sides, FSA, ISIS, Al Nusra and the Syrian Government.

I, personally, cannot understand all the different terrorist groups in Syria and/or ME, or their separate ideologies.

So which of these terrorist groups get to keep the 1/2 billion dollar reward?

Funny, that to me is a perfect description of Vladimir Putin’s Russia :wink:

Don’t forget the Kurds as well.

Totally agreed Brother.

I guess I was thinking about in Syria, I’m not sure if the Kurds are in Syria. Perhaps you do in this. There are quite possibly other factions in Syria as well.

And I take it fighting with the Syrian Government might be some from Hezbollah, possibly others.

ISIS is in Turkey too. The only reason Turkey hasn’t attacked them so far is because ISIS has Turkish hostages. That may change.

Turkey won’t allow US to use its bases against ISIL: Official

presstv.ir/detail/2014/09/11/378408/turkey-refuses-to-join-us-war-on-isil/

*Turkish government says it will not allow a US-led military coalition to use its air bases in order to launch attacks on ISIL terrorists’ hideouts in neighboring Iraq and Syria.

A government official said Ankara can open the Incirlik Air Base in the south only for logistical and humanitarian operations, and not for any airstrikes.

“Turkey will not be involved in any armed operation but will entirely concentrate on humanitarian operations," media outlets quoted the unnamed official as saying.

Turkey is reluctant to take a stronger role in the coalition against ISIL militants in fear of aggravating a hostage situation.*

Not long ago Turkey was also oppressing the Kurds:

asbarez.com/120826/gul-says-oppressing-kurds-a-mistake/

The Middle East is a real mess with multiple nationalities living with political boundaries drawn by outsiders, principally the British. It is further compounded by the area having no history of solving conflicts peacefully with a dominant religion that does not recognize natural law and universal human rights.

It would be really helpful if the western nations that claim to accept natural law and universal human rights would act like they believed it. Peace has to start from the bottom up, not imposed from the top by outsiders.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.