Russian court bans Church of Scientology because it is 'not a religion'

A court in Russia has banned Moscow’s Church of Scientology, saying that it does not comply with federal laws on freedom of religion.

According to Russia’s TASS news agency, the country’s justice ministry brought the case against the church, which was heard in the Moscow City Court on Monday.

Government officials wanted the church shut down, arguing that because the organisation had tried to register “Scientology” as a trademark it could not, therefore, be a religious body.

The Church of Scientology of Moscow was first registered in 1994, and in 2011 opened new extravagant headquarters in the city’s Garden Ring, a mile from Red Square.

independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russian-court-bans-church-of-scientology-because-it-is-not-a-religion-a6745386.html

.:D.

Interesting!

Government officials wanted the church shut down, arguing that because the organisation had tried to register “Scientology” as a trademark it could not, therefore, be a religious body.

Well, to me that sounds like a very weak argument, particularly if that is to be understood as “tried unsuccessfully”.

P.S. I’m curious what some of my fellow Catholics – e.g. the ones who said that we should oppose religious liberty on another recent thread – have to say here (keeping in mind that the predominant religion in Russia is Orthodoxy, not Catholicism).

Well, my opinion of Russia just went up a few points!

One of maddest cults to ever be drummed up. From its’ roots, i.e founded by a science fiction and fantasy author, to the secrecy that has surrounded it ever since.

There also seems a requirement to be a multi-millionaire to be able to pay, so as to ascend the higher levels of enlightenment in the cult - absolutely bizarre. :shrug:

So no wonder Russia has said - NO WAY Hose. :slight_smile:

So churches can’t hold trademarks in Russia, glad those rules don’t apply in the US otherwise a bunch of churches would be in deep guano?

I mean I’m all for the Scientology being unveiled for the often abusive money grab it is, by things like the exposes that have been released lately like “Going Clear”, but at the same time I find the Russian’s logic for denying it kind of thin. Particularly in light of the fact Scientology failed to gain the trademark and the same rules could be applied in theory to any church the Russians disagree with.

I mean given the two alternatives I prefer the US way of allowing anyone to believe what they want as long as it’s a legitimately held belief (and doesn’t hurt anyone else), Pastafarians and all, as opposed to a system that limits religions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.