Russian Navy conducts excercises with Venezuela

[/FONT]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081125/ap_on_bi_ge/lt_venezuela_russia

LA GUAIRA, Venezuela – Russian warships sailed into port in Venezuela on Tuesday in a show of strength as Moscow seeks to counter U.S. influence in Latin America……
[snip]
But U.S. officials mocked the show of force.
“Are they accompanied by tugboats this time?” U.S. State Department spokesman Sean McCormack joked to reporters in Washington. He noted that Russia’s navy is but a shadow of its Soviet-era fleet…"

OUCH!

It may be true, but that’s just HARSH. Not good diplomacy.

Right now, Russian diplomacy lacks a great deal.

You don’t think it’s a bad idea for the State Department to essentially say “Ha, ha! Your navy sucks.” at a press conference?

However thuggish Putin may be, there’s no need for US to look childish in response.

As the Russian economy continues to recover, I think we can expect the Russian military to continue to expand it’s show of strength. It has already resumed bomber flights into NATO airspace, a common practice from the cold war days.

I remember the Cuban Missile Crises. I lived in Miami, Florida at the time and since I was 15 years old then I remember the troops that moved into the Naval Air Station that was 1/4 mile from my home.

Pray that we don’t have this again.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.