Russian planes intercepted near U.S., Canadian airspace

(CNN) – Two U.S. jets intercepted six Russian planes that neared U.S. airspace off Alaska on Thursday and Canadian planes intercepted two Russian bombers that approached Canadian airspace, NORAD reported.

A U.S. official told CNN’s Barbara Starr that officials in Washington think the incidents were related to the visit by Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko, who talked to Canadian officials Wednesday and President Barack Obama on Thursday. The United States promised Ukraine $46 million in nonlethal aid for its battle with pro-Russian militants.

The Russian aircraft flew within about 55 nautical miles of the Alaskan coastline and about 40 nautical miles of the Canadian coastline, said Capt. Jeff Davis of the North American Aerospace Defense Command, or NORAD.

cnn.com/2014/09/19/us/russian-plane-incidents/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Respectfully, this is really a non-story.

I’m both an airforce and navy- brat, and we hear stories about both sides doing things like this all of the time from people that are stationed in around these areas and that monitor things like this (usually months later - you know, secret hush hush).
The news is just looking for to make a big deal out of and this isn’t it… If you can, watch the military channel on cable, they talk about these kinds of cold-war games often.

Beheading a third innocent… that’s a story
:sigh:

Ditto:

Royal Air Force jets were deployed from Scotland to intercept Russian military ‘Bear’ aircraft that were flying too close to the airspace it guards.

Read more: dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2762225/British-fighter-jets-execute-flawless-scramble-intercept-two-Russian-Bear-aircraft-flying-international-airspace.html#ixzz3DoWQRnwx
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2762225/British-fighter-jets-execute-flawless-scramble-intercept-two-Russian-Bear-aircraft-flying-international-airspace.html

Not surprised.

Normal’nye polyoty (normal flights).

(The label on the tail of the bomber is amusing. It looks like BBC but it’s actually VVS, for Voyenno-Vozdushnye Sily, “Air Forces”.)

They are still using propellers?! :smiley:

We still have propeller aircraft.

That was a joke like in being sarcastic. :rolleyes:

Thanx for the info. I knew Russian C was S, but the “BBC” still had me puzzled.

ICXC NIKA

It is hard to see the actual number above the letters but it looks like MF-01177.

Oh, I thought maybe the Beeb had its own plane. I had always wondered where TV license money went. :smiley:

They tend to be preferred in aircraft whose primary role involves long endurance flights, there are also other uses for planes with propellers. The US govt. successfully used a light attack plane which was a turborprop for many years, namely the Rockwell Bronco which has been successfully been used for many years by the US govt and many others.

:confused:

I don’t see a number on the aircraft in the foreground (the fighter).

While recognizing your joke, I believe that this is one aircraft design, along with the American C-130 (pictured in a subsequent post), the P-3 Orion, and the B-52 Stratofortress, that may well still be flying operationally on the 100th anniversary of its first test flight.

Interesting that the Russkies are still using the krasnaya zvezda, the red star as an identification mark. This is a holdover from the Soviet days.

Edit: For the benefit of those who are not aviation enthusiasts, these aircraft are not the same as the propeller-driven aircraft used in WWII, where the propeller was driven by a reciprocating engine. These aircraft use turboprop power plants, where the propeller is driven by a jet engine.

The Royal Air Force seems to use a subdued color for numbering its Typhoon fighter jets. This may make them hard to read from a distance.

Here a couple examples:

raf.mod.uk/equipment/typhoon.cfm

Interesting that the Russkies are still using the krasnaya zvezda, the red star as an identification mark. This is a holdover from the Soviet days.

Cool. The Soviet star had me wondering if this were an old photo.

ICXC NIKA

:wink:

FINALLY, someone realizes I was joking! Thank you!

Yes I knew these planes were not left over from world war II.
Thanks for the info these new planes are driven by a jet engine!

Actually the TU-95 represents one of the recurring events of the Cold War, which was the USSR and USA both copying each other’s technical advances at times. It shares some commonalities with Super Fortress designs from WW2 in some respects. It also dropped the heaviest nuclear ever tested the Tsar Bomba which was enormously powerful although it would not have been a practical weapon .

Very interesting. Thank you.

My joke aimed at the plane being left over from the cold war as being built in the 1950’s.

From the picture it looks like a powerful aircraft.

The Russian aircraft does seem to have some sort of number on the tail,but it looks like it was added to the photo latter. IDK it just looks weird to me. I watched some excellent videos on youtube about the TU-95

I just looked at the photo again and I erroneously thought the fighter was in the back under and behind the Bear! oops it is in the foreground.Sorry for the confusion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.