Russian propaganda via internet

thenews.pl/1/6/Artykul/258751,Russian-propaganda-via-internet

Are “Kremlin trolls” able to influence public debate in democratic countries via social media, blogs and websites? Why are large groups of people in the EU apparently receptive to such messages spread online?

These are among questions Alexander Papko asked Ivana Smoleňová, a Slovak researcher on “information warfare” working for the Prague Security Studies Institute, during a recent debate in Warsaw.

Is Russia the only country that engages in information warfare or do other countries, such as the USA, do the same?

Are “Kremlin trolls” able to influence public debate in democratic countries via social media, blogs and websites? Why are large groups of people in the EU apparently receptive to such messages spread online?

It makes you wonder why people are receptive to the “Kremlin trolls”.

I wonder if any post here.

Judging from my own experience: they usually prefer to settle in large groups at particular selected message boards, mainly politics-oriented. They also love to act in waves, overwhelming news reports with provocative and meaningless comments, so to scare off the readers.

I don’t get paid for it :smiley:

Right. I don’t get paid either.

Neither do you look like a paid troll. :wink:

Do I look like a paid troll. I would love to have some money for my fervent hatred of the Maidan and fascism.

There are propaganda trolls from every nation, except the Vatican City of course.

James Nixey, head of the Russia and Eurasia Program at Chatham House in London, said news reports by RT and Sputnik could only have influence at the margins of the U.K. referendum campaign because they lack the authority of traditional news outlets. But he said their messages resonate with an audience that feels skeptical of the establishment and mainstream media.

“If you are unhappy with your lot in life…If you’re anti-American, if you’re on a low wage or what the English call lower class, if you have a chip on your shoulder, the messages put across very slickly by Russia Today are very appealing,” he said.

wsj.com/articles/vladimir-putin-keeps-mum-on-brexit-views-1466774426

So what influenced the British to vote for Brexit? Are many British people lower class or anti-American then? So if no, what is the mainstream trend for Brexit?

Me neither!

Yes, but not all of them fund an entire office of professional full-time trolls in Olgino, near St. Petersburg. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.