Russia's ambassador to Turkey has been shot in Ankara,

Russia’s ambassador to Turkey has been shot in Ankara, Turkish official news agency reports cnn.it/2hiXySM

Someone doesn’t like Turkey and Russia getting together I guess.

He has died. May he rest in peace.

That’s terrible.

gunman screaming ‘We die in Aleppo, you die here’ during art exhibition in Turkey

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4048844/Russian-ambassador-Turkey-shot-injured-Ankara.html#ixzz4TIwNaWwc

Turkish security source says gunman who shot Russian ambassador was police officer who worked in Ankara. Read more: reut.rs/2i1ANXs

What is going wrong with this world?

2016 has been the most hellish year I can recall in my lifetime. You would think, watching the slaughter in Aleppo and now this murder of an ambassador, that the norms of civilization are breaking down.

May the victim of this horrible act of violence rest in peace.

Let us pray also for the perpetrator, there are mass protests in Turkey over Aleppo. So much hatred and fury on both sides.

Not sure the violence has increased any. We have more communications of it so it seems like more.

Turkey has been in turmoil since the Ottoman Empire started to decline.

Aleppo is arguably the worst humanitarian disaster of our generation.

Turkey, yes, has long been unstable with the PKK insurgency and so forth but things seem to be getting out of hand.

The meeting between Turkey, Iran and Russia over Syria is still going ahead despite this murder. I hope that it does not lead to a worsening of relations between them.

The following is an Orthodox prayer for the dead:-

O God of spirits and of all flesh, Who hast trampled down death and overthrown the Devil, and given life to Thy world, do Thou, the same Lord, give rest to the souls of Thy departed servants in a place of brightness, a place of refreshment, a place of repose, where all sickness, sighing, and sorrow have fled away. Pardon every transgression which they have committed, whether by word or deed or thought. For Thou art a good God and lovest mankind; because there is no man who lives yet does not sin, for Thou only art without sin, Thy righteousness is to all eternity, and Thy word is truth.

For Thou are the Resurrection, the Life, and the Repose of Thy servants who have fallen asleep, O Christ our God, and unto Thee we ascribe glory, together with Thy Father, who is from everlasting, and Thine all-holy, good, and life-creating Spirit, now and ever unto ages of ages. Amen.

Amen!

And a beautiful prayer as well, thank you.

I have seen the video on the BBC.

It must have been so terrifying.

More details of the shooting:

bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-38370362

**18:13

Turkey’s Hurriyet newspaper provides more details of the shooting.

It says the attacker first fired into the air and later shot the envoy in the back.

More shots were heard after the area was evacuated, Hurriyet says, quoting reports that the attacker entered the scene by showing a police identity card. **

My guess is that it will strengthen it.

I agree with Gilliam. We just hear about more of it. But I would say Rwanda was a lot worse in our generation. So was the Pol Pot era in Cambodia.

Russia, Iran, Syria, Turkey, ISIS. All brutal regimes that do not shrink from killing whoever stands in their way. And some of the victims are also victimizers because nothing else is left for them. The West has totally retreated from attempting to have any real influence on outcomes, and so it’s left to the rough customers.

Well, it does seem like a lone wolf act of terrorism, from what we can tell.

Very true, I agree.

Sure could be. Depending on the ethnicity or religious group or other associations of the shooter, it could encourage common cause among the awful players over there. Let’s say the guy is a Kurd or other kind of person not friendly toward Turkey. Could be a prelude to a new Turkish attack on Kurds in Syria or Iraq. Russia and Iran both want Assad to govern the whole country, and possibly Turkey would find that preferable to the existence of a Kurdish “enclave” in Syria. The three of them could easily carve “spheres of influence” in Syria and Iraq.

Based upon his words, all we seem to know at the moment is that he is a self-proclaimed Sunni jihadist and an off-duty policeman. It will be interesting to see what follows.

The problem for Erdogan is that his people have been told, since 2011, to follow an anti-Assad line.

I’m not sure if they are going to be all that enthused about Erdogan dirty dealing Stalin style in the carve up of Syria, with the backers of Assad - who has murdered so many Sunni civilians.

But as you infer, Erdogan has always cared most about the Kurdish threat on his borders.

This killing could be the first signs of popular fury in Turkey by Sunni Muslims against the Erdogan government for its position.

I doubt the Sunni in Turkey have any love for Assad or any other Iranian proxies. But they might well favor a de facto Sunni quasi-state under Turkish “protection”, particularly if there’s any oil under it.

Many people consider the dropping of the atomic bombs on Japan and the bombing of Dresden to be quite brutal.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.