Russia's Newest Law: No Evangelizing Outside of Church

Christianity Today:
christianitytoday.com/gleanings/2016/june/no-evangelizing-outside-of-church-russia-proposes.html

From the article:

Despite prayers and protests from religious leaders and human rights advocates, the Kremlin announced Putin’s approval yesterday. The amendments, including laws against sharing faith in homes, online, or anywhere but recognized church buildings, go into effect July 20.

So much for Putin being the champion of Christian values and religious freedom in Russia.

See also the WSJ op-ed,

Putin’s War on Prayer

Russia Prohibits Evangelizing anyplace except in Church

At least he still has plenty of breastplates of orthodoxy to keep the devils away.

I think Christianity is too subversive for the Russia he wants to build.

Does this law apply to the Russian Orthodox Church?

I had the exact same reaction. If it does I will honestly say I’m floored. If it doesn’t apply to the Russian Orthodox Church I’d not be surprised at all. Given Putin’s track record if this applies across the board it’ll probably be one of the single biggest rollbacks toward the Soviet system with regard to personal freedom he’s made.

Maybe it is part of a secret plan to bring the Soviet Union back in 2017 in its leftist form.

Been doing a little digging and it does appear to apply to the Russian Orthodox as well as I’ve not found any exception for them. All religious faith sharing is banned in private homes, in the press, online, and public. Only at state recognized places of worship will it be permitted. So unless you’re one of the limited number of faiths that are already state recognized in Russia, you’re out of luck for even that limited type of faith sharing.

This smacks of Soviet levels of draconian. And it’s being done in the name of “security,” lest that be a warning to other countries. Security is nothing without freedom.

So much for Putin being a friend to Christianity.

breitbart.com/faith/2016/07/10/putin-signs-measure-revoking-religious-freedom/

O God, please have mercy. Amen.

What, are people surprised? That’s the thing about oppressive despots. They rarely stick to oppressing the people you don’t like.

It appears that many leftists are going to praise Putin now. That would have been unimaginable a year ago.

Believe me, no leftist is going to be praising Putin, even the ones that don’t like religion. Trying to convince people their religion is wrong, or to lessen/eliminate religion’s impact on secular law/life is one thing. Outright banning religions, which is what this new Russian law is tantamount to, is quite another.

Just shows you how smart our founding fathers were when they put the First Amendment together.

I just mentioned this to a friend of mine, and he said that it is probably a move to silence the Muslims from public jihadi-type speech and whatnot. This doesn’t make such regulations against freedom of religion and may not even be true, but it does shed another light on this subject in which Christians are just collateral damage.

May God bless you all! :slight_smile:

Dawkins might, but I’m not sure about anyone else.

I thought people where saying the Rosary for the consecration of Russia.

What a sad day. :frowning:

Praying.

Looks like they might want to change what they’re saying the rosary for…

That’s what I’ve read as well. It was primarily a security measure designed to stop Muslims and other “undesirable” religions from spreading. I’m sure they have a list over there with Islam on the top but it’s by no means the only religion Putin isn’t fond of from what I’ve read over the years. Mormons, Scientologists, Jehovah’s Witnesses, basically any church not the Russian Orthodox he’s not overly fond of. But apparently even that’s not enough to give the Russian Orthodox an exception and they’re being lumped in as well (mind you not that it would be much better even if the Russian Orthodox were the lone exception).

Just watch and see how this law is actually applied. I suspect that Russian Orthodox will get a free pass and everyone else will not. Time will tell.

Just ironic how many people on these boards were definitely big fans and believers in Russia’s “Anti-gay propaganda” law, but the moment it starts to oppress religion, it is definitely a bad bad idea. News Flash: Both are terrible, medieval ideas denying people basic freedoms and human rights.

Despite the possible reasons why this law was created and/or enforced, its amazing to me how accurate the bible is in regards to predicting how the times would be so far into the future!!

Pretty amazing guy that Nostradamus is at predicting as well. Quite spectacular.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.